Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So, if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's made of wood. And therefore... A WITCH!
    La Bruja?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      Actually I get what your trying to say Stephanie. In a sentience capacity and in the realm of the being top of the food chain you are correct....we are "superior" to other animals.

      But to define yourself as not an animal is what leads us to many contradictory views in the health field. To suppose that our systems are so vastly different simply due to our "superiority" is what gets us into trouble. I actually think that is the disconnect here.
      Totally right.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

        But to define yourself as not an animal is what leads us to many contradictory views in the health field. To suppose that our systems are so vastly different simply due to our "superiority" is what gets us into trouble. I actually think that is the disconnect here. Not that you don't recognize these things, but in the semantics here.
        The disconnect is precisely what the view that humans are superior and vegans have in common. Both positions believe that humans are out side of the laws of nature, one holds that we can deny our biology and the other that we should have dominion over nature, both are disconnected from nature. The very fact that vegans think we can deny our biology implies that they believe humans are superior to animals since no other animal can or would deny its nature. Vegans are therefor refusing to accept the fact that humans are animals.

        I think the vegan perspective is often driven by very sweet and caring motives but the fact remains that they are unwilling to embrace the reality of our species. Humans are not superior, in fact in the web of life we may be one of the most unnecessary creatures.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
          The disconnect is precisely what the view that humans are superior and vegans have in common. Both positions believe that humans are out side of the laws of nature, one holds that we can deny our biology and the other that we should have dominion over nature, both are disconnected from nature. The very fact that vegans think we can deny our biology implies that they believe humans are superior to animals since no other animal can or would deny its nature. Vegans are therefor refusing to accept the fact that humans are animals.

          I think the vegan perspective is often driven by very sweet and caring motives but the fact remains that they are unwilling to embrace the reality of our species. Humans are not superior, in fact in the web of life we may be one of the most unnecessary creatures.
          I agree with every word of this.
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
            The disconnect is precisely what the view that humans are superior and vegans have in common. Both positions believe that humans are out side of the laws of nature, one holds that we can deny our biology and the other that we should have dominion over nature, both are disconnected from nature. The very fact that vegans think we can deny our biology implies that they believe humans are superior to animals since no other animal can or would deny its nature. Vegans are therefor refusing to accept the fact that humans are animals.

            I think the vegan perspective is often driven by very sweet and caring motives but the fact remains that they are unwilling to embrace the reality of our species. Humans are not superior, in fact in the web of life we may be one of the most unnecessary creatures.
            I have no problem in defining humans as superior to other animals. I'm still an animal.... but I'm top of the frickin food chain. I'm king kong baby!

            Superior is a subjective term though, and unless we present objective parameters for it this sort of argument is a moot point.

            So for a homework assignment perhaps we would look at superiority in an evolutionary time sense. Which species has the longest spanning success. Or by numbers. Which species is most vast.

            Or you could take the current view optic. Which species most has the capacity to change the world to fit it's own wants and needs right now. Which species has the greatest rate of growth and expansion. Ect.....

            Just some ideas, but it could be fun to sit down with your 8th grade science class and answer these questions and others like them

            Oh, and actually I agree with your comment. Was just using it for a jumping off point for my little "superiority" subjective/objective experiment.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
              Yeah that...

              Okay I get the science and biology part. Gosh.

              But no I'm not an animal. I don't pee outside, nor do I lick my hoochie for bath time. I don't sniff butts to say hello, or eat grass from a field.

              Many humans pee outside for their entire lives... many animals spend their entire lives peeing indoors.
              Some humans actually do lick their own hoochies. These men(sorry, I've simply never seen a woman accomplish this task) do not appear to do so for bath time however...
              Parrots take showes and LOVE them... they are not human. So do elephants. In fact if you count bathing by soaking in water, many animals participate. Some other primates even swim for fun, jumping and diving included.
              Some primates build themselves beds to sleep in each night.


              If you wanna be an animal, good for you. I will be a woman, who takes showers, shaves, wears a little makeup, and worships Jesus, and enjoys things like a bed, and a glass of wine, and all the other stuff us humans do.

              There are many human women who do not shower, shave, wear make-up or worship Jesus(haven't even heard of the fella, or just choose not to) ... they don't lie in soft beds, don't drink wine, or do many other things that you consider worthy of making you "human" (think about small tribal peoples here, or people who chose not to live like you). So, are they less human and more animal than you because they pee in the out doors and eat insects?

              BTW, I'm very stubborn, you will never convince me...

              Carnio is that a gun in your profile pic? Just curious.
              Your assessments of the difference is between an animal and "human" is very narrow minded indeed.
              Last edited by cori93437; 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                I have no problem in defining humans as superior to other animals. I'm still an animal.... but I'm top of the frickin food chain. I'm king kong baby!

                Superior is a subjective term though, and unless we present objective parameters for it this sort of argument is a moot point.

                So for a homework assignment perhaps we would look at superiority in an evolutionary time sense. Which species has the longest spanning success. Or by numbers. Which species is most vast.

                Or you could take the current view optic. Which species most has the capacity to change the world to fit it's own wants and needs right now. Which species has the greatest rate of growth and expansion. Ect.....

                Just some ideas, but it could be fun to sit down with your 8th grade science class and answer these questions and others like them

                Oh, and actually I agree with your comment. Was just using it for a jumping off point for my little "superiority" subjective/objective experiment.
                Ooh, ooh, what about the one that is working on destroying itself and it's habitat in record time!

                Hang on, that might not be a mark of superiority.
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                Comment


                • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                  Ooh, ooh, what about the one that is working on destroying itself and it's habitat in record time!

                  Hang on, that might not be a mark of superiority.
                  BINGO!
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Your assessments of the difference is between an animal and "human" is very narrow minded indeed.
                    Insulting people can be very hurtful. I stated my opinion, and how I felt. Why is it so hard to respect that? If we all felt the same, acted the same, ate the same, etc, the world would be very boring.

                    Just because you feel different gives you no right to insult me. That was not nice, and hurt my feelings.

                    And I'm not narrow minded, I'm a loving person with a big heart. Just because we disagree does not make me narrow minded.

                    Peace and love
                    Last edited by Stephanie; 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
                      Insulting people can be very hurtful. I stated my opinion, and how I felt. Why is it so hard to respect that? If we all felt the same, acted the same, ate the same, etc, the world would be very boring.

                      Just because you feel different gives you no right to insult me. That was not nice, and hurt my feelings.

                      Peace and love
                      Seems more like an observation than an insult.

                      Comment


                      • We can't have control over all nature because we haven't been able to control weather - and I still don't get why really really large fans... - never mind.

                        But it must be instinctive in us to control other animals (except house cats, who obviously hold dominion over us). Some human must have been the first one to figure out that having a herd of something was a steadier source of food than hunting. That corralling that almost flightless bird was easier than searching for it or its nest.

                        So, in that way, we are superior to other animals in that finding nourishment is something we've made less random. I don't think I'm disconnected from the laws of nature, but I do think that animals with language are superior to animals without, animals that use tools are superior to those that don't, and that many animals on the planet are pretty much food for the animals above them in the food chain.

                        Veganism for health is one thing (even if I disagree that it's healthful), veganism for moral superiority shows a lack of research and a spouting of dogma. Someone is harvesting all those veggies, and they mostly live in poverty, get sick, and die younger than they might have.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                        B*tch-lite

                        Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                        Comment


                        • Calling names is wrong. I felt it was an insult. I'm sure if someone called you narrow minded you would feel the same way too?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
                            Insulting people can be very hurtful. I stated my opinion, and how I felt. Why is it so hard to respect that? If we all felt the same, acted the same, ate the same, etc, the world would be very boring.

                            Just because you feel different gives you no right to insult me. That was not nice, and hurt my feelings.

                            And I'm not narrow minded, I'm a loving person with a big heart. Just because we disagree does not make me narrow minded.

                            Peace and love
                            I was pointing out the fact that you were basing your assessment of human vs. animal on some very interchangeable traits.
                            You were either unaware of those things or purposely ignoring the fact that all over the world some species of animals do things that you assign "human" value, and that also humans frequently do things that you assign "animal" value. That is not opinion... those are facts.

                            If you actually believe that humans are superior to animals because magical religious thinking, just say so.
                            That is easy enough to respect...
                            Pulling hogwash out of thin air, not so much.

                            (Re: "namecalling" I said "your assessment ... is narrowminded" Not "YOU are narrow minded" ... words, they have meaning.
                            I was trying to say that your comparisons seemed shallow and limited. It was an observation on your position not your person. OK?)
                            Last edited by cori93437; 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM.
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                              I was pointing out the fact that you were basing your assessment of human vs. animal on some very interchangeable traits.
                              You were either unaware of those things or purposely ignoring the fact that all over the world some species of animals do things that you assign "human" value, and that also humans frequently do things that you assign "animal" value. That is not opinion... those are facts.

                              If you actually believe that humans are superior to animals because magical religious thinking, just say so.
                              That is easy enough to respect...
                              Pulling hogwash out of thin air, not so much.

                              (Yes, I was trying to say that your comparisons were narrow minded. It was an observation on your position not your person.)
                              You keep being rude, hope it gets you far in life.

                              High five.

                              Comment


                              • Superior is relative. Put a man and a tiger in an empty cage and find out who is superior then. It's true that humans are superior at many things but we are near the bottom when it comes to pure physical ability.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X