Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which foods do I addto my diet to pass my (pregnant) 1-hour glucose test?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree with Rob's SO.

I would say simply do not take the test. You can refuse any and all medical tests during pregnancy, if you wish. Your doctor can also 'fire' you, but ultimately, you are the person making medical decisions, and if you feel the test is unnecessary, then don't take it.

Many midwives (though not necessarily doctors) will allow you to do glucose readings throughout the day over several days (which you record), as well as doing a reading while you are in for your appointment, to follow how your glucose levels are doing and to help diagnose GD (which I do believe exists, but I do not believe that this test is a good indicator at all -- in fact, I think it's a ridiculous test).

I refused the test. IN fact, I refused all medical care during my pregnancy and birth (my choice, btw, and I'm not wholly advocating it. I'm just saying that it can be done). You are free to choose to not take this test and ask your doctor or midwife for alternatives.

Good luck! And congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Yup +1.....particularly agreed with the bolded portion. If you normally do not shoot straight glucose then it's silly to think that test would indicate anything of importance in how you handle glucose as part of your Primal day to day ingestion of foods.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
      Rob is completely wrong about having to carb up to get a reliable GTT. Either you follow medical advice or silly opinions you get on the Internet......
      Long as the silly opinions are more logically argued with better source and cite references to the esteemed medical journals I'm going with the silly opinions.

Not to mention Robb is actually quite correct if we are talking about someone who is particularly very low carb as this causes a transient phyiological insulin resistance in the periphery (muscles) to save glucose for the brain. This is completely different than pathological insulin resistance of diabetes and goes away with the reintroduction of carbohydrate, but that test wouldn't tell you that. I'm not talking pregnancy in particular here. Just general energy partitioning.
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I will attempt answer all your points, I'm using bold purely to differentate

Sure, refuse all medical help and put your baby and yourself at risk. That's a choice you can make.

Honestly, this sort of statement helps no-one, it just comes across as hostile, closed minded and rather arrogent, it's also known as 'playing the dead baby card' and is used by medical 'professionals' too bully women into taking the course of action that suits them best

Rob is completely wrong about having to carb up to get a reliable GTT. Either you follow medical advice or silly opinions you get on the Internet.

Where did I or my SO say you should carb up to get a reliable GTT, infact my SO said the complete opposite, that eating in a way different to your normal way of eating will only give a result based on the way you were eating to 'pass' the test.

If you bothered to read the post properly or looked at the links you would know they are not just opinions of silly people on the internet but based on research papers by world renowed experts in their field with the links included so you can follow up and read the research yourself, which my SO has done, and decied not to take the test as we felt it was pointless when following a grain and sugar free, low GI low carb compared to CW diet, instead she got a glucose meter and monitered her own levels, which were fine.

Your choice

Personally, I was happy to follow medical advice, take a GTT, and learn that I did NOT have diabetes (despite many symptoms and a family history).

My sister developed gestational diabetes during her pregnancy, followed medical advice, and had a healthy child. THEN she ignored medical advice to continue the diet, and developed Type 2 diabetes.

I'm glad you felt safe following medical advice and the choices you made where honered, if that's what you needed to get the birth experiane that you wanted than that brilliant, but just because it was right for you doesn't mean it's the right road for everyone, please be as repsectful of others choices they are just as valid for them as yours were for you.

We all make choices.

Yes we do, so please stop implying others choices are wrong
        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I was borderline on my 1 hr test so the doc had me go for the 3 hr. That sugar bomb from the 3 hr test almost had me puking. I was not low carb or primal then. I passed the 3 hr and decided to just watch my carb intake and follow a "diabetic diet " as I figured I would have to before long. I cut out all HFCS and hydrogenated fats also and was fine.

If you do take the test, walking during that hour wait will help to burn sugar. The more vigorously you move the better.

Comment

You can also ask for a modified test, it's based on a fasting reading and then a post-prandial (basically, they tell you to come in after eating a carby breakfast).

I've had a gastric bypass and normally cannot tolerate more than 10-15g of sugar at one time, especially not on an empty stomach. My OB said I could do the modified test because of that, but when the time came I decided to just get it over with and try the regular GTT and hope I passed. I passed the test just fine, and to my surprise I didn't even have reactive hypoglycemia afterward. In general, my sugar/carb tolerance was much higher during pregnancy though, it was really strange.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
              Sure, refuse all medical help and put your baby and yourself at risk. That's a choice you can make.
              Basically, what rob said. This is simply the cultural condition of fear-mongering that exists around birth. The only choice a woman has in pregnancy is to follow medical advice or she is a Very Bad Person who hates her baby and puts herself at risk.

The reality is that medical tests also create risks for infants and mothers. People like to think that they don't, but they do. This one included.

And, my point is not that a person should refuse medical care, but that a person can choose what medical care (tests, etc) they want, and which they do not.

Pregnant women -- like all individuals with sovereignty over their health and bodies -- can choose. And choosing differently than the medical establishment, the culture, or you does not make them "bad people."

Your choice.
              To me, there is an importance in bringing up the idea that a person has choice in their medical processes -- including pregnancy and birth.

Most people here challenge the conventional wisdom of the medical establishment. We talk about it in terms of heart care, gastro-intestinal care, care of auto immune and thyroid disorders. You name it, just about every kind of medical care here has come under question. "That's cultural" and "that's not evidence based" are common phrases. As well as "here are alternative ideas" and "don't bother taking that medication when. . ."

Why is it that Obstetrics is now the only protected class of medicine? Question all medicine EXCEPT obstetrics -- or you are a Very Bad Lady.

If you question obstetrics, if your enquiry leads you to evidence that asserts that a certain test may not be functional or necessary, or may create risks rather than reduce them (ie, ultrasounds), do them anyway. Whatever you do, do not go against Obstetric medical advice. It's the only infallible medicine!

The reality is that obstetrics has just as much -- if not more -- quackery than just about every other medical field. Yes, some things DO have evidence -- but a lot of things commonly practiced in the US today do not and are not practiced in other developed nations.

Why? Because evidence doesn't support the practice.

So, this OP has options: it is her choice.

Personally, I was happy to follow medical advice, take a GTT, and learn that I did NOT have diabetes (despite many symptoms and a family history).
              I'm glad that you were happy with your pregnancy and birth medical care and choices. I opted to have an unassisted pregnancy and childbirth because I felt that it was the best, safest process for my son and myself, I am also happy with the outcome -- as I have a happy, healthy son.

And, it's not as if I'm against medical care. I'm for it -- when it is appropriately applied, evidence based, and well administered by a caring professional.

After my son was born, he had trouble with his latch. I went to a lactation consultant (who was also a nurse) on the advice of our family doctor. Within 3 days she sorted the latch and we were off and running. I love my doctor and I'm forever thankful for the kindness and expertise of that nurse.

Obviously, I'm not so radical as to say "it should be the way that I did it." And in fact, I was clear on that. Instead, I provided the op with an option -- one that worked better for my sister, who also had GD, rather than the test. her test came back negative for GD. 3 weeks later, she was having symptoms and she went to her doctor. he did the glucose reading in the office, sent her home with the device, and changed her diet (to primal, no less). She's now pregnant with her second, and with the same doctor. She's on the same diet, and tests her glucose daily. It's how he likes to manage things -- evidence based.

I'm happy that my sister ahs the medical care that she both wants and needs. I'm happy for any woman to have it. If I were to get pregnant again, I'd probably go with a midwife -- for a variety of reasons.

It's my choice. You have your choice. The OP has her choice, too.
              Last edited by zoebird; 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone! Lots of food for thought here.

I don't eat VLC, but paleo for me is a naturally lower carb diet. I don't want my doc pushing insulin shots and such on me just because I fail the test due to my diet, rather than any real on-going problem with my blood sugar.
                Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
                Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Comment

Your best bet, then, is to ask for alternative tests. Just do a google search for alternatives, learn about the different options (their pros and cons), and then approach your doctor about doing an alternative.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X