Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grains or sugar - is one the lesser of two evils?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by jensd View Post
    I know that all grains and sugar should also go
    The Primal Blueprint is not about zero-carbs, which Mark seems to be pretty much against. It is a high-fat/low-carb diet and sugars are welcome, but only as long as they come with some other interesting nutrients (vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, etc): check the pyramid and you'll see a lot of vegetables and fruits. PB is against refined sugars which are just empty calories (a teaspoon of pure C6H12O6...).

    Grains are bad for a number of reasons other than the high glycemic index and the gluten you already mentioned, check the definitive guide to grains for more information.

    Comment


    • #17
      Mark himself has nothing against normal table sugar in small quantities. Has a spoon in his coffee every morning.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

      Comment


      • #18
        I started this journey sugar free. Found PB and went wheat free and very low grains (as in, an occasional addition). My middle two were FTT because of their wheat allergy. So for us, wheat is definitely the nastiest. They're allowed sugar occasionally.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Mark himself has nothing against normal table sugar in small quantities. Has a spoon in his coffee every morning.
          There you have it. Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint says there is nothing wrong with refined sugar.
          Make America Great Again

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
            I think its best to just stick to the book, and don't worry about asking for advice on here just yet, as it can be very confusing.
            There are lots of people on here who are not actually primal, and like to confuse the new people.
            Ayla, is this starting to worry you too? It appears that the Perfect Health Diet followers are now pushing it on all the newbies, without telling the newbies that it's not quite Primal. I believe that a carefully monitored PHD is probably okay for an active person who has already been Primal for a while. However, it should NOT be suggested to newbies whose metabolisms that are still sugar adapted.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by oxide View Post
              Ayla, is this starting to worry you too? It appears that the Perfect Health Diet followers are now pushing it on all the newbies, without telling the newbies that it's not quite Primal. I believe that a carefully monitored PHD is probably okay for an active person who has already been Primal for a while. However, it should NOT be suggested to newbies whose metabolisms that are still sugar adapted.
              Yeah it does, but nothing I can do.
              Hopefully people will read the book first, is all I can say.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                There you have it. Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint says there is nothing wrong with refined sugar.
                ooh yay now I am going to start eating refined sugar again

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  There you have it. Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint says there is nothing wrong with refined sugar.
                  Link? Or you are a dirty troll!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    In the PB newest edition, Mark has 3 days worth of his eating in there. ONE day of the 3 he has a coffee with a sugar in it.
                    Doesn't mean to say he thinks there is nothing wrong with it. It seems it is an occasional thing for him, and it doesn't appear he eats any other refined sugars. But it doesn't matter, its not about Mark saying its OK. I know how it makes me feel so I am not doing it. I don't do things just because Mark says so. I tried it because it was in his book yes, but I won't go back to refined sugars, I don't miss them.
                    Last edited by Ayla2010; 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If someone shows me a link where Mark says he has refined sugar every single day id love to know where it is.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                        If someone shows me a link where Mark says he has refined sugar every single day id love to know where it is.
                        A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson | Mark's Daily Apple

                        7:00 AM – Big cup of coffee (always French press, Starbucks – anything extra bold) always with heavy whipping cream and a teaspoon of sugar.

                        Every day after that says "big cup of coffee," so I guess every day "always" has the sugar.

                        However, Derpamix takes Mark's ONE teaspoon of sugar -- which is basically an admitted 80/20 cheat -- and tries to extrapolate it as approval of a high-sugar CW lifestyle. We call that giving an inch and taking a mile. It's the worst type of deliberate lying and dirty trollism.
                        Last edited by oxide; 01-25-2013, 06:06 AM.
                        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Hi Jensd,
                          Eating primaly is less about not eating grains and sugars because mark (or anyone else) told us so and more about using food as a messenger to properly configure the inner workings of our body (much like many other inputs, sun, sleep, excercise, etc). The reason why mark sais we shouldn't eat grains, legumes and refined sugars is because they elicit a specific response from our body that has a long term detrimental effect on our health, namely our insulin response. I think you have to look at it from that angle; by eating some rice or the vice versa sugar doesn't matter, what matters is are you getting that insulin spike that is preventing you from being a "fat (for energy) burning beast".
                          A little primal gem - My Success Story
                          Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by oxide View Post
                            A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson | Mark's Daily Apple

                            7:00 AM – Big cup of coffee (always French press, Starbucks – anything extra bold) always with heavy whipping cream and a teaspoon of sugar.

                            Every day after that says "big cup of coffee," so I guess every day "always" has the sugar.

                            However, Derpamix takes Mark's ONE teaspoon of sugar -- which is basically an admitted 80/20 cheat -- and tries to extrapolate it as approval of a high-sugar CW lifestyle. We call that giving an inch and taking a mile. It's the worst type of deliberate lying and dirty trollism.
                            Oxide, you are the most delusional poster on these forums. You just proved that Mark is ok with a bit of sugar, he is also ok with carbs in the form of fruit, potatoes and even white rice. Yet you continue to whine and complain about people offering advice thats "not primal".

                            Ayla, quit making every thread about you. We get it you cant eat sugar, everyone else can in at least small quantities with no problems whatsoever.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Seriously....everyone bitches about the carb curve, but this is part of the reason its still there. Its not just about insidious weight gain IMO. Its to keep the diet in context. A "bit" of sugar, "some" fruit, "a" sweet potato.....all within the confines of the carb curve will assure that you are still getting a variety of good nutrition AND good fats from other sources. So some schmuck cant come on here and be like "hey bananas are primal right? .....just eat thirty of those a day and your still primal!"

                              It's a template. For some people a "bit" of anything is a bit too much. Moving on....

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think your on the wrong forum

                                For new people READ THE BOOK then make your own mind up.

                                Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                                I think it's best to just do what you feel like instead of buying into fear mongering orthorexics point of view, who shake and quiver at the sight of a carb, especially when they believe 110 empty calories of fat(assuming average portion size) is somehow less detrimental than ~20 empty calories(again, average portion size) of sugar.

                                You've already been eating them, there is nothing wrong with them, and sugar is actually shown to lower stress.
                                Last edited by Richard Seekins; 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM.
                                Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

                                Started Primal 15th October 2012
                                Height 5'9"
                                Start weight 200lb
                                Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                                Goal was 168lb's

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X