No announcement yet.

Study of 40,000 women finds low carb, high protein diet harmful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is not a low carb high protein diet. It's a high carb, low fat, lowish protein diet. And it's epidemiological and thus fails to take confounding variables into account. It's correlation is questionable let alone causation. It's not worth the paper it was printed on.

Originally posted by zilog View Post
    The Atkins diet was complete re-written a few years ago and is now totally different to the original, demented (IMO) version. Basically it's now low carb, moderate protein for the initial phase and then low-moderate carb (depending on activity) and moderate protein for maintenance. Which is not so different to a lot of the advice given on this site.
    No it wasn't. Please stop spreading myths and rumors. The biggest "rewrite" of the Atkins diet was done by Dr. Atkins himself when he started excluding fiber from the carb count, started using net carbs, and allowing more veggies from the start. The "new" Atkins is barely different from the 1990's version. The major differences are reaching out to vegetarians and specifying exact amounts of veggies when Dr. Atkins just said get "most" of your carbs from veggies. At it's heart Atkins is the same as it was when Dr. Atkins was alive, low carb, high fat, moderate protein.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Normally they lump in processed meat in the category "protein" and "meat" and processed meat is bad for you. Also, 196 g of carbs a day is not a low carbohydrate diet.
      Seriously?? They are saying 196 g of carbs is low carb? LMAO. I didn't read the study. What a bunch of bull!

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
        Too much protein can be bad for your health and when people go on these diets they really go crazy with the protein. Plus, as mentioned, are still eating other toxins like seed oils or low-carb processed foods. So, I agree this study means nothing.
        The biggest toxin is probably the fact that they are consuming corporate factory farmed animals fed on grains and injected with all sorts of hormones.

Those hormones can have a major effect on the body and in increasing risk for CV disease.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
          Calories are wrong. They add up to about ~1550.
          They use SI-units in the journal. It's 6534 kilojoules. Not kilocalories.
          Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

Working...
          X