Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the primal diet making me smell weird?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is the primal diet making me smell weird?

    This is unfortunate but since I've started eating primally (and it's gotten worse) my sweat has a really odd vegetable smell and I also have a terrible smell on my breath. I eat at least 150g carbs a day so it's not ketosis.

    I looked it up online and saw that red meat, cruciferous vegetables, fermented foods and spices like turmeric and garlic contribute to weird smelling sweat?? Not good for me... I eat all these things copiously.
    but, that doesn't leave so much to eat. Lately I've been eating 3 or 4 apples a day, could that contribute anything because of the acid?

    Does or did anyone else have this issue on the primal blueprint? Any ideas to get rid of it? I don't know if I can give up my aged cheese, cabbages and red meat, nor would that be healthful...
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

  • #2
    My husband gets the worst breath ever after snacking on raw cheese and lacto fermented pickles. It's really the cheese. I eat all of those things you listed and it is only after cheese that my breath is bad.
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

    Comment


    • #3
      I worry about getting enough calcium and I don't think I could eat eggshells and insects at this point.
      If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
      I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

      Comment


      • #4
        My smell got noticeably better without sugar and wheat, and gets noticeably worse after a cheat day.

        Comment


        • #5
          i think egg shells and insects are really only eaten by a select few
          beautiful
          yeah you are

          Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Do you smell weird or just human? How do you know the difference? Dunno, we are kinda olfactory challenged here in the USA. We do everything we can to annihilate and/or cover up our natural odors. Just saying....if you smell different on those foods I'd say its for the best one way or another.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, my mom says it smells weird xD
              If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
              I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't want a new thread, so...

                I recently ate brown rice a few days ago. I know, it was nasty, I had to put a lot of fat on it to make it not taste like cardboard, it constipated me, caused me trouble when I started moving, and then I just put the rest in the garden as organic waste to rid myself of the trash.

                Anyway, Even though the house aired out, and I went to bed with it not smelling like the rice, when I got up to urinate around 0400 and again for work at 0600, I smelled like brown rice. It was really weird, and I remember having that in the past. If you work with drunks, it was a little like the phenomenon where a drunk is venting off the alcohol they drank as they slowly sober up. It was a bad, funky, rice odor, and it was coming from me. My bed really stank of it, leading me to believe I was sweating out the stink.

                Anyone ever had that, or know anything about it?

                Please refrain from chastising me for eating the crap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have you been eating a very low carb diet?
                  My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I recently bought a bunch of CAFO chicken because I was going to try to eat protein in the morning (that was a fail - I'm just not hungry in the morning). Anyway, since I had cooked up a lot of it, I ate a bunch of it for about three days. I didn't notice a specific smell of chicken on me, but my armpits smelled like they used to before primal - not great. I actually had to use deodorant.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                    B*tch-lite

                    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      @Jim_H

                      I never eat brown rice, I only eat white basmati rice. No funny smell after. But maybe it's because I am used to it ? ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had really bad BO on a meat and fat heavy diet. I felt like toxins and acidity was just building up. When i switched to a mostly raw diet it went away completely. Makes me think that eating excess dead flesh is not very healthy.

                        My suggestion would be to switch out the bulk of your meat, fat and veg with fruit and dairy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          I had really bad BO on a meat and fat heavy diet. I felt like toxins and acidity was just building up. When i switched to a mostly raw diet it went away completely. Makes me think that eating excess dead flesh is not very healthy.

                          My suggestion would be to switch out the bulk of your meat, fat and veg with fruit and dairy.
                          +1

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by campanella View Post
                            This is unfortunate but since I've started eating primally (and it's gotten worse) my sweat has a really odd vegetable smell and I also have a terrible smell on my breath. I eat at least 150g carbs a day so it's not ketosis.
                            Ah well. The only thing I noticed like that was when I had keto-breath.

                            Originally posted by campanella View Post
                            I looked it up online and saw that red meat, cruciferous vegetables, fermented foods and spices like turmeric and garlic contribute to weird smelling sweat?? Not good for me... I eat all these things copiously.
                            I ate all of those things before switching to primal. So I didn't notice any change personally.

                            Originally posted by campanella View Post
                            but, that doesn't leave so much to eat. Lately I've been eating 3 or 4 apples a day, could that contribute anything because of the acid?

                            Does or did anyone else have this issue on the primal blueprint? Any ideas to get rid of it? I don't know if I can give up my aged cheese, cabbages and red meat, nor would that be healthful...
                            Funny. We didn't deliberately set out to eliminate cheese and stuff like vegemite, but when the bread and crackers go away, they are the vehicles for those condiments, so I unconsciously reduced my consumption of them.

                            I don't think that there's very much nutrition in cabbage personally, although there's nothing wrong with eating it because you like the taste...
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                            Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I really bad BO before going primal. Within a few weeks I found I could stop using deodorant altogether.

                              However, I find that whenever I eat lamb fat my subsequent pee and poo both smell of lamb fat. No idea what's going on there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X