Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Chobani an acceptable brand of greek yogurt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks 14emom. I think I will wait off until the season warms up a bit perhaps, as my roomates are rather...frugal...and like to keep the heat down. Though, this calls for a crock pot - which where I'm from, is a slow cooker device - are any of the settings good enough to keep it warm, without a towel or blanket wrap? Or is that the wrong kind of crock pot - I've known a few people use that word for ceramic dishes, like a casarole pot.

I am apparently fortunate, however: According to something I read a few weeks ago while searching for local sources of delicious meat (and dairy), I gleaned that there's a goat...herding man...(goatherd?) not far from me. I may be able to try my hand at old-school Classical Age Greek yogurt. I know they did it with goat milk alone (practically everything with goat milk actually).

I may also try making my own starter - I'll have to research that when I get the time - though I'll probably do my first experiments with a commercial one.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
      Trader Joe's has their own full fat Greek yogurt
      I don't think the TJs around here sell that . All I see is 0% and 2% TJs Greek.

Comment

A crock pot on the warm setting is 150°F, so it will not work to "incubate" the yogurt.
        Depression Lies

Comment

My goto for store bought if I'm not making it myself is Cabot 10%.

If I'm making it myself I substitute 1/4 of the whole milk (I use raw and don't heat it as high to keep it that way) with HWC to increase the fat and make it delicious.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Basically I add one tablespoon of yogurt per quart of warmed milk (110 degrees). I do mine in quart jars and then put them in a thermos (old school red going to work version) to control the temperature. Leave it for 24 hours. Then there's yogurt.

Comment

Any yogurt that's plain and full-fat should be good. See if your grocer has a store-brand yogurt
              Yes, the real Dirk.

Comment

Working...
              X