Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks ok...now suddenly HUNGRY!

hi everyone,

i moved towards paleo/primal in Nov 2012 and after the xmas holidays on jan 1 committed full on. first week or two felt great, and pretty satiated even given decent amount of exercise (crossfit type, weights, sprints, swimming and SUP - 5xweek). i'm female, 5'8" and about 152lbs, not really looking to lose much weight (if any) but more just get rid of excess belly fat. nothing drastic.

anyway, at 3 weeks in i'm finding my 1800-2200 calories/day (about 15:20:65 protein:carb:fat) isn't really cutting it (just started using cronometer to get an idea of where i'm at as opposed to measuring and counting calories) and i am FREAKIN HUNGRY!! i eat a bit more on workout days and stay close to net 1800 on average.

so was just wondering if anyone experienced this. do i just need to eat more? change ratios? i know my mouth/stomach wants to mangia but i know sometimes "following your gut" is exactly what NOT to do!

anyway, any input would be appreciated!
    Last edited by meloroaster; 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM.

Are you a male or female?

Edit: Oh, I see. Could it be that you are pms-ing? I never had noticed this before, but since I started eating Primal, about a week before my period starts, I'm freakin' ravenous. I just eat more than usual. It has worked okay for me so far.
    Last edited by Graycat; 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Try more protein and less fat, since protein is THE satiety macro-nutrient for many people…
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

huhn, interesting! just looked at my calendar...i'm about 9 days out so could be!
        this kinda started sunday though...did more exercise starting sat though...maybe that's it.

Comment

I'm way hungrier the week before my period...and super hungry for 2 weeks before if I didnt ovulate---too much estrogen!
          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
            I'm way hungrier the week before my period...and super hungry for 2 weeks before if I didnt ovulate---too much estrogen!
            so do you succomb!? fight it? up protein/fat?

Comment

I eat more if I'm hungry. Considering your activity level, I think you might need more food, or more carbs. It may be that the first 3 weeks, your body was transitioning and okay with a lower level of food/carbs/whatever. It can take some time for people to adjust.
              Depression Lies

Comment

i didnt give in this past month!
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Yep, first thing I thought when I saw the title was "female?". I do the same thing. Chocoperfection bars help me. The almond ones

Comment

Knew the OP was a woman from the title. Hormones, man. They crazy. I get absolutely ravenous around ovulation and about a week before my period.

Comment

Never mind the time of the month. It sounds the beginnings of carb flu. You've finally depleted the last stores of carb-fueled sugar in your system, and your sugar-burner metabolism is screaming for carbs. DON'T GIVE IN. If you're hungry, stuff your face with fat. Lots of fat. Pork sausage, bacon, salted butter right out of the tub, coconut oil, ground beef. Stuff up until you're as full as Thanksgiving day, allow yourself to gain a pound or two. Your body will respond by making fat-burner hormones and afterwards you'll be less hungry.

Your hunger may or may not be driven by PMS, but either way, you can't give in with carbs this month. You must adjust your body to Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat...
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by meloroaster View Post
                        hi everyone,

i moved towards paleo/primal in Nov 2012 and after the xmas holidays on jan 1 committed full on. first week or two felt great, and pretty satiated even given decent amount of exercise (crossfit type, weights, sprints, swimming and SUP - 5xweek). i'm female, 5'8" and about 152lbs, not really looking to lose much weight (if any) but more just get rid of excess belly fat. nothing drastic.

anyway, at 3 weeks in i'm finding my 1800-2200 calories/day (about 15:20:65 protein:carb:fat) isn't really cutting it (just started using cronometer to get an idea of where i'm at as opposed to measuring and counting calories) and i am FREAKIN HUNGRY!! i eat a bit more on workout days and stay close to net 1800 on average.

so was just wondering if anyone experienced this. do i just need to eat more? change ratios? i know my mouth/stomach wants to mangia but i know sometimes "following your gut" is exactly what NOT to do!

anyway, any input would be appreciated!
                        I have found I just go through phases of being a lot more hungry than normal and just listen to my body and feed it. In fact, sometimes I just eat a lot one evening and stuff myself and then I'm no longer hungry like that for some time. Don't worry about these cycles...it's normal and your body may just need more nourishment at times.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                          Never mind the time of the month. It sounds the beginnings of carb flu. You've finally depleted the last stores of carb-fueled sugar in your system, and your sugar-burner metabolism is screaming for carbs. DON'T GIVE IN. If you're hungry, stuff your face with fat. Lots of fat. Pork sausage, bacon, salted butter right out of the tub, coconut oil, ground beef. Stuff up until you're as full as Thanksgiving day, allow yourself to gain a pound or two. Your body will respond by making fat-burner hormones and afterwards you'll be less hungry.

Your hunger may or may not be driven by PMS, but either way, you can't give in with carbs this month. You must adjust your body to Fat Fat Fat Fat Fat...
                          This is the worst advice i have seen yet.

Comment

really? how come?

Comment

thx all
                              i succombed yesterday and got a cookie which i GLEEFULLY ate then felt fine although i ate probably more dried cherries than was resonable last night. oh well.
                              today i upped my 'healthy' carbs a bit by adding a little fruit. feel better. certainly not as frenzied as i felt yesterday!

Comment

Working...
                              X