No announcement yet.

The pound-of-each diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^They have 3 fantastic ways that they arrive at their macro recs....like their diet or not, that part is for sure worth a read ( I do like their stuff )

Comment

I like the way Paleobird thinks: you don't need to eat vast quantities of food to get enough food. Three pounds of food each day sounds like a lot to me.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        ^They have 3 fantastic ways that they arrive at their macro recs....like their diet or not, that part is for sure worth a read ( I do like their stuff )
        The problem with their book, is there really is no 'diet'. I couldn't send the book to my lifelong SAD Dad and expect him to make heads or tails out of what he should be eating. All through, they interchange macros in terms of grams and percentage of calories,and talk about eating X amount of total calories without context of the eater in mind, just a generalization for everybody.

The book is a piece of cake for a reader of MDA Forums, but for the uninitiated it would be about meaningless if they were looking to go 'on a diet'.

Comment

Is the pound of starch thing still good for people trying to lose, or is it better to hold off on the starch until you're in maintenance mode?

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            I like the way Paleobird thinks: you don't need to eat vast quantities of food to get enough food. Three pounds of food each day sounds like a lot to me.
            I used to eat no potatoes or rice, lots of fat and meat, and a big-ass salad usually once a day. Since adding the starch component back in, I find meals much more satisfying...lots of chewing, not lots of calories.

Compare the calories in 2 TBS of butter (204kcal) and the calories in a big 1/2 pound potato (154kcal).

I used to put at least 2TBS of butter on my dinner veggies. Now I use none and instead eat a big potato.

Compare nutrients in 1/2 pound potato and 2TBS of butter:

Butter - a little Vit A and virtually no nutrients.
            Potato - all 12 essential nutrients represented, Vit B-6 and C, plus all the essential amino acids.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
              Is the pound of starch thing still good for people trying to lose, or is it better to hold off on the starch until you're in maintenance mode?
              In their book, they recommend for weightloss, holding the starch, vegetable, and meat portions constant and cutting fat.

Comment

Yesterday for veggies I had some watercress plus some chopped up crunchy stuff (bell peppers, celery) in my tuna. I don't think I could have eaten a whole pound of watercress, bell peppers and celery. I also had a half a small-ish sweet potato. I don't think I could eat a pound of potatoes every day. It's all just too much food to eat that much.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yesterday for veggies I had some watercress plus some chopped up crunchy stuff (bell peppers, celery) in my tuna. I don't think I could have eaten a whole pound of watercress, bell peppers and celery. I also had a half a small-ish sweet potato. I don't think I could eat a pound of potatoes every day. It's all just too much food to eat that much.
                  The actual PHD party-line is everyone should be eating .5 to 1 pound of starch, veg, and meat a day. You may find yourself on the lower end. No one ever said everyone has to eat 1 pound of the stuff. I try, but I'm a big ol' active guy, and sometimes I can't hit the pound of each.

Comment

A pound of watercress would be like a pickup truck full

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                      A pound of watercress would be like a pickup truck full
                      Fer shur!

I eat in a cafeteria every day for lunch, we have to weigh our salads, so i know how much a pound is...it doesn't take a lot of bell pepper, tomato, and onion to add up to a pound with a big bed of lettuce or spinach. Add one piece of fruit and it really adds up quick.

Comment

^ Do not get one of those salads from WF! I didn't realize how much my salads weighs....I paid nearly $20 dollars for a freaking salad I made there one time. I do NOT go light on the toppins

Comment

How ridiculous a concept!

We all have different needs based on age, weight, metabolism.
                          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                            How ridiculous a concept!

We all have different needs based on age, weight, metabolism.
                            It's actually a pretty sound concept, the tweaking to your needs is the hard (or fun) part. It's not "a pound a day" for everyone, the concept is your core eating should consist of 1/2 to 1 pound each of starch, fruit/veg, and meat. There is almost no one who should go below this target and almost no one who should go over. Extremely huge, extremely small, extremely active, etc... all exceptions to the rule.

Of course that's not all you eat, just the centerpiece of your day.

Comment

The PHD interests me. I think I'm going to give it a try for maintenance, once I reach my fat loss goal on SLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                ^ Do not get one of those salads from WF! I didn't realize how much my salads weighs....I paid nearly $20 dollars for a freaking salad I made there one time. I do NOT go light on the toppins
                                lol! I always get a shitton of organic greens and some meat if I have to eat there. Other salad items are just way too expensive for $8/lb.
                                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                                X