Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting through the low carb flu

Hey Everyone!

I am fairly new to this LCHF...I would appreciate any tips to help reduce my crankiness and just feeling blah. I feel tired and barely have enough energy to get through my workouts. Am I correct when some people hot water with bouillon,to help with this? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks so much!
    Started eating Primal January 14th,2013
    CW: 126 lbs/GW 125lbs
    I am new to Primal/Paleo,loving it so far!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Originally posted by Shyloh View Post
    Hey Everyone!

I am fairly new to this LCHF...I would appreciate any tips to help reduce my crankiness and just feeling blah. I feel tired and barely have enough energy to get through my workouts. Am I correct when some people hot water with bouillon,to help with this? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks so much!
    First to start the carb wars!

Why are you doing LC? You need glucose to fuel workouts so you might want to stop working out...

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
      First to start the carb wars!

Why are you doing LC? You need glucose to fuel workouts so you might want to stop working out...
      I lowered to my carbs,so that I can add more healthy fats to my diet...such as HWC,Coconut oil,avocados and a some nuts.

I have to say though,I am about 4 pounds away from my goal weight. I weigh 129,my goal is 125 lbs.

Being that i don't have much to lose,are you saying that I shouldn't be lowering my carbs to make room for more healthy fats in my diet?

Comment

I think sometimes it's helpful- just like you would with a new exercise program- to ease into eating lower carb. I already didn't eat processed foods or simple carbs before I went to PB, and I never got the carb flu. I also tend to listen to my body and if I need more carbs one day, I'll have more carbs, and then cut back again the next day. Interestingly, I find my weight loss whooshes actually tend to occur the day after a carb binge which seems counter-intuitive but there you go.
        High Weight: 225
        Weight at start of Primal: 189
        Current Weight: 174
        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
          I think sometimes it's helpful- just like you would with a new exercise program- to ease into eating lower carb. I already didn't eat processed foods or simple carbs before I went to PB, and I never got the carb flu. I also tend to listen to my body and if I need more carbs one day, I'll have more carbs, and then cut back again the next day. Interestingly, I find my weight loss whooshes actually tend to occur the day after a carb binge which seems counter-intuitive but there you go.
          Thanks for your response!

Maybe I'm dropping my carb grams too fast?

Today,I ate 71 grams of carbs. I used to eat 150+ of carbs a day.

Comment

For working out this is my usual routine:

M-W-F,I lift heavy weights for about 30-45 minutes...following by a 20 minute low impact HIIT.
            On T-T-S,I do 30-45 of steady state cardio.

It's really hard to change the way I've been doing things. I know another lady who eats Paleo and she doesn't work out as much as I do. She is so lean too!

Comment

I added sweet potatoes to my diet. I was sooo tired I couldn't stand myself. Until I figured out how much my body required it was a struggle. Also, some advice I got was make sure you are getting plenty of sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfran View Post
                I added sweet potatoes to my diet. I was sooo tired I couldn't stand myself. Until I figured out how much my body required it was a struggle. Also, some advice I got was make sure you are getting plenty of sleep.
                Hi!

I did eat about 4 oz prior to working out for lunch,plus a few berries. I do need to get more sleep though,I will try to up my zzz's!

Comment

Hey, you will get some great help on the other thread you posted in

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                    Hey, you will get some great help on the other thread you posted in
                    Thanks Ayla,I'll be checking the other thread...for sure!

Comment

Shyloh the other thread isn't going to suit. With the amount of exercise you do I think more fat is not going to suit. Need to keep those carbs at least moderate.

Comment

We have been through this before. I was doing heavy exercise (CrossFit) while under 50g carb per day.
                        So yes it is fine for some people, its still early on for her, so it may be just an adjustment period.
                        And there are other people in that other thread, not just sitting on their asses you know.

Comment

That's about as silly as saying my diesel truck needs gas to get down the road.

You can work out just fine in ketosis. Biggest thing that causes the sluggishness is electrolyte deficiencies caused by the changes the body is making. Typically the increased electrolyte need is temporary. So yes, bullion. I also like avacado with salt. Trick is to eat it before you get low.

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                            That's about as silly as saying my diesel truck needs gas to get down the road.

You can work out just fine in ketosis. Biggest thing that causes the sluggishness is electrolyte deficiencies caused by the changes the body is making. Typically the increased electrolyte need is temporary. So yes, bullion. I also like avacado with salt. Trick is to eat it before you get low.
                            Very silly indeed. Zach doesn't even try to be Primal. He's one of the Ray Peat sugar bees that have been buzzing around here lately. Why they are here I don't know. It would be like me going on a vegan forum and telling them that they need to eat meat. Why? Just to stir the pot perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Very silly indeed. Zach doesn't even try to be Primal. He's one of the Ray Peat sugar bees that have been buzzing around here lately. Why they are here I don't know. It would be like me going on a vegan forum and telling them that they need to eat meat. Why? Just to stir the pot perhaps.
                              Wouldn't it be more comparable to going onto a vegan forum and telling them to eat more protein/fat?
                              Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                              https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                              MFP Food Diary:
                              http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                              (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Working...
                              X