Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting through the low carb flu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
    Ever tried adrenal failure? You feel it. And you get better painfully slow. And when you have a stressor, it knocks you back. And you feel it. When your reserves have been tapped out by years of insulin resistance, you feel stress quickly. You can't get up in the morning, you want to sleep in the middle of the day, you get sore easy etc.
    Way to breeze past all that pesky evidence. Also what is adrenal failure, like a new energy drink? Ill have to try it next time i see it.

    Comment


    • #32
      I'm not seeing proof of what causes the free fatty acids.

      Comment


      • #33
        That's why I linked the Randle cycle.

        “The antagonism between fat and sugar that Randle described can involve the suppression of sugar oxidation when the concentration of fats in the bloodstream is increased by eating fatty food, or by releasing fats from the tissues by lipolysis, but it can also involve the suppression of fat oxidation by inhibiting the release of fatty acids from the tissues, when a sufficient amount of sugar is eaten.”

        “Sugar, by reducing the level of free fatty acids in the body, actually tends to protect against these toxic effects of the PUFA. Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar. The seed oil industry has been more effective than the sugar industry in lobbying and advertising, and the effects can be seen in the assumptions that shape medical and biological research.”

        FFAs are liberated by adrenaline and other lipolytic stress substances.
        Make America Great Again

        Comment


        • #34
          I wasn't low carb back then! But now I am. Why would my adrenals work full time when my cells are well fed with fat and don't need the sugar? Of course, when I was eating lots of carbs with a broken sugar metabolism, they were no doubt working hard to try and keep things stable as my sugars spiked and fell.
          Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Way to breeze past all that pesky evidence. Also what is adrenal failure, like a new energy drink? Ill have to try it next time i see it.
            I haven't had a chance to read it all or research a thing.

            It's not something to laugh at, it's very miserable and takes a very long time to climb out of. There have been people want to kill theirselves because of it.
            Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
              Isn't another name for it laminitis? (they end up with something wrong in their hooves from being so over weight (I think, can't remember exactly)
              growing up we often had to section off paddocks for horses getting too much grass, and getting very over weight.
              Insulin resistance is the main cause of laminitis (inflamed lamina- the structure that attatches the bone in the hoof to the hoof wall). And then laminitis can cause founder, a loss of attachment and rotation or sinking of the bone in the hoof capsule.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                Insulin resistance is the main cause of laminitis (inflamed lamina- the structure that attatches the bone in the hoof to the hoof wall). And then laminitis can cause founder, a loss of attachment and rotation or sinking of the bone in the hoof capsule.
                thanks, I knew it was related somehow, I just couldn't remember.
                So yeah I know this really happens, and its fairly common, at least where I was growing up in NZ, as there was often plenty of green grass.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                  I wasn't low carb back then! But now I am. Why would my liver and adrenals work full time when my cells are well fed with fat and don't need the sugar? Of course, when I was eating lots of carbs with a broken sugar metabolism, they were no doubt working hard to try and keep things stable as my sugars spiked and fell.
                  Cells use glucose for energy not fat. If you are low carb then your body will break down protein for that glucose, sometimes from your body. This process is inherently stressful as it is catabolic.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    You don't know cells can run on fat??? They can run on straight fat except for a small part of the brain.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      That's why I linked the Randle cycle.

                      “The antagonism between fat and sugar that Randle described can involve the suppression of sugar oxidation when the concentration of fats in the bloodstream is increased by eating fatty food, or by releasing fats from the tissues by lipolysis, but it can also involve the suppression of fat oxidation by inhibiting the release of fatty acids from the tissues, when a sufficient amount of sugar is eaten.”

                      “Sugar, by reducing the level of free fatty acids in the body, actually tends to protect against these toxic effects of the PUFA. Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar. The seed oil industry has been more effective than the sugar industry in lobbying and advertising, and the effects can be seen in the assumptions that shape medical and biological research.”

                      FFAs are liberated by adrenaline and other lipolytic stress substances.
                      Haven't got a chance to read these yet, like I say, but were these people who were fasted or restricted in calories? Because that's going to be completely different than someone with full glycogen stores.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Huh, no.
                        Make America Great Again

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          Cells use glucose for energy not fat. If you are low carb then your body will break down protein for that glucose, sometimes from your body. This process is inherently stressful as it is catabolic.
                          lol....what? how hard are you trolling for a response with this stuff? do I even have to post stuff to rebut this or will you just concede now?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            lol....what? how hard are you trolling for a response with this stuff? do I even have to post stuff to rebut this or will you just concede now?
                            this has to be it.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Come on guys its getting lame to see this stuff over and over in every thread started by someone who is actually looking for advice on implementing low carb.

                              Seriously, I don't go running into threads labeled "How do I get more sugar in my diet?" and post a bunch of studies. Jeesh, your not even engaging the OP, your hassling other posters who have just offered their advice.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                fwiw: I eased into the low carb from sedentary life and diet very high in carbs over the course of a month or so. I didn't experience any carb flu. Now I feel great on days with less than 50g carbs and plenty of energy for a good daily 45min-1hour run. I wouldn't be afraid to ease into it. When I really cut the carbs back, I'd usually wait until late afternoon to have a piece of fruit to straighten me out for the rest of the day.

                                Originally posted by Shyloh View Post
                                Hey Everyone!

                                I am fairly new to this LCHF...I would appreciate any tips to help reduce my crankiness and just feeling blah. I feel tired and barely have enough energy to get through my workouts. Am I correct when some people hot water with bouillon,to help with this? Is there anything else I can do?

                                Thanks so much!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X