Coconut milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
    I've recently tried making my own coconut milk from. My first batch was a too runny; I made 8 cups from the meat of one coconut (cost $2). Next time I will go for 4 cups using one coconut for better consistency. Anyway, no BPA, fillers, stabilizers or preservatives, and costs less.
    +1

I like to make my own milk out of actual coconuts, and the taste is really unrivaled compared to the old, canned stuff. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the canning/tetrapak linings adding unnecessary/unknown chemicals into your food.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

How do you make it?

Comment

1. Poke hole in one of the 3 holes and drain of coconut water.
        2. Stick in preheated oven of 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. This just makes separation of the white meat from the brown shell easier.
        3. Let the coconut cool and smash on ground inside a plastic bag.
        4. Collect/pry white coconut meat off the shell and cut into smaller chunks.
        5. Add chunks to a food processor or blender full of lukewarm water and blend on high for 5-10 minutes, until the coconut chunks become very fine.
        6. Strain water through a wire-mesh strainer into large bowl(s).
        7. If the coconut milk is not very thick, you can try a second time with the leftover coconut chunks from the strainer and throw into the blender with some water and blend another 5-10 minutes.
        8. Enjoy! I don't know how long it lasts; It's never lasted longer than a week lol!

You just gave me an idea for my next blog post
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkward View Post
          I wish the cream came in a smaller tetra pack. It only comes in the 32 oz size as far as I know.
          I go through it fast enough that this is not an issue for me.

Comment

Wow, totally going to make that. Sounds awesome.

Comment

So if whey powder is insulinogenic then that should be avoided?

I was looking to buy:

Impact Native Whey 95 | Myprotein.com

Whey powder with a grass feed background.

Not sure if the coconut products mentioned in this thread can be purchased in the UK.

Comment

Working...
              X