Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I look like Mark Sisson!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post


    Yep. The moral of the story is to avoid wheat and processed foods. But not carbohydrate. Nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch.
    This is not true for some of us. Please remember what works for you is not true for everyone.
    I tested it out last night, and ate 75-100g of starchy carbs with my dinner, (pumpkin and sweet potato), and felt terrible afterwards, bloated, and just gross.
    Please don't say there is nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch, unless you follow that with, for some people.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      This is not true for some of us. Please remember what works for you is not true for everyone.
      I tested it out last night, and ate 75-100g of starchy carbs with my dinner, (pumpkin and sweet potato), and felt terrible afterwards, bloated, and just gross.
      Please don't say there is nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch, unless you follow that with, for some people.
      There is nothing wrong with lots of starch. Again, there is nothing wrong with lots of starch. It is the #1 human food in the world in terms of traditional societies. If you have an issue with it, it's you, not the starch. If you feel bloated, you probably have very poor gut health. You should seriously consider taking a good probiotic with every meal and incorporate fermented foods into your diet regularly (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, Greek yogurt, etc). You likely have an issue fermenting soluble fiber in your gut, which is why you think you have issues with starch.

      You could also try not combining it with lots of palmitic acid. I'm assuming you're eating it with fattier cuts of meat. Fatty meat high in palmitic acid paired with starch is notorious for causing a sluggish feeling. You'd be better of eating it alongside some very lean meat like chicken breast and cooking it in olive oil because it's low in palmitate.

      EDIT - This is a very good probiotic supplement and I'd recommend it. Try taking 2 of these with a good sized sweet potato (minus the skin). Feel free to chase it with a glass of kefir. It should help. It may take months or years to rebuild damaged gut cultures.

      http://www.vitacost.com/nutrition-no...e-120-capsules
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #33
        I did actually eat roasted chicken breast with it last night.
        But anyway.
        I am not going to get worked up about this like I did last week.
        I do take a probiotic, and my gut is fine.
        Thanks.
        I do not feel great with lots of starch, and do not need them. We are not all young fit males that can have lots.
        End of story.

        Comment


        • #34
          And I do not cook in olive oil.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            There is nothing wrong with lots of starch. Again, there is nothing wrong with lots of starch. It is the #1 human food in the world in terms of traditional societies. If you have an issue with it, it's you, not the starch. If you feel bloated, you probably have very poor gut health. You should seriously consider taking a good probiotic with every meal and incorporate fermented foods into your diet regularly (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, Greek yogurt, etc). You likely have an issue fermenting soluble fiber in your gut, which is why you think you have issues with starch.

            You could also try not combining it with lots of palmitic acid. I'm assuming you're eating it with fattier cuts of meat. Fatty meat high in palmitic acid paired with starch is notorious for causing a sluggish feeling. You'd be better of eating it alongside some very lean meat like chicken breast and cooking it in olive oil because it's low in palmitate.

            EDIT - This is a very good probiotic supplement and I'd recommend it. Try taking 2 of these with a good sized sweet potato (minus the skin). Feel free to chase it with a glass of kefir. It should help. It may take months or years to rebuild damaged gut cultures.

            Nutrition Now PB 8® Pro-Biotic Acidophilus For Life
            Can't you just realize that other people feel better on different diets from you, and stop your foisting already.


            Some people have issues with starch that has nothing at all to do with digestion.
            You know what that "assume" thing you are doing does right?
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

            Comment


            • #36
              No, there is nothing wrong with starch.

              That being said, I choose to eat it sparingly (and always have) because it makes me feel tired/heavy. Even as a kid I rarely ate these starchy things (breads, potatoes, corn, beans/rice, etc).

              Just because I choose not to eat them because of how I feel better without eating them, doesn't mean I think they are wrong/bad/whatever. It also doesn't mean that I'm afraid of them or have an eating disorder or whatever.

              I just ate half a sweet potato just now, and I feel a bit over-stuffed (like I always do after eating starchy things), so, you know, I"ll live, but it's not my favorite feeling in the world. I tend to do this discomfort thing once a week. Carb loading, really.

              Comment


              • #37
                Of course Mark has always been lean, but was he really so hawt running all those marathons? I mean you don't see an upper body like that on most endurance athletes. He must have put on some serious muscle, no?

                When I think of "looking like Mark Sisson" I'm thinking glorious pecs and shoulders, lean with mass.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  Can't you just realize that other people feel better on different diets from you, and stop your foisting already.


                  Some people have issues with starch that has nothing at all to do with digestion.
                  You know what that "assume" thing you are doing does right?
                  Then maybe you should yell at them for trying to pick a fight that had no place instead of yelling at me since I was speaking in context of the conversation. If you actually read, it's typically me getting berated by the keto-Nazis when I'm operating in context of the conversation. I rarely pick fights, and it is incredibly annoying when the religious zealots come in and try and dissuade healthy people from eating real food - much less the staple foods of most traditional societies - because they have a history of overeating, poor gut health, a general phobia or an agenda to push that they outright lie about. But why blame yourself when you can blame a foodgroup and not accept responsibility for your actions? I find it amazing how suddenly people on keto are eating chicken breast and sweet potatoes when it is the convenient counterpoint to your argument. I don't believe that story for a second (or the 75-100g of starch story, either). Trolls will be trolls, and I know a lie when I see it most of the time.

                  A funny story: one of my good friends had IBS her entire life. Her IBS would kick in any time she ate anything fatty. She avoided fatty meats because any time she ate any, she would get very, very ill. It took months of trying to convince her that it wasn't the fatty food and was probably a gluten intolerance and I got her to go grain-free. Now, she can eat whatever fatty meat she wants. Bacon, pork ribs, whole chicken, eggs...all the stuff that would make her violently ill is suddenly digestible, but if she has any bread - even a slice - it is a mad dash to the bathroom. Either Ayla2010 is outright lying, trolling me or her "gut is not fine." Talk is cheap on the internet, and I've seen too much stuff over the years to believe anything different. It takes a lot more than a probiotic pill once a day to repair a gut destroyed by decades of poor dieting. It takes years of responsible dieting, clean living and supplementation to mend a gut, and you will never repair a gut culture that thrives off soluble fiber if you don't eat soluble fiber. Going keto avoids the problem rather than fixes you. It is taking a histamine blocker instead of removing the allergen. You are treating the symptom, not the cause.

                  But back to the discussion on hand - it is clearly a caloric deficit issue. I recommend a balanced diet rich in meats, eggs, fruits and starches because it is overly the most varied and nutritious and supports a robust thyroid and a higher metabolic rate. When you cut carbohydrate too low, your blood CO2 levels tend to drop. This is a sign that your mitochondria are not as robust and your cell respiration is slowing, which is correlated with a downregulated metabolic rate, making it harder to lose weight (one of the reasons low-carbers tend to stall at that magic 15-20 lb number). A diet where animal fat, starch and fruit sugar is available to the body provides you with the most robust nutrition and the healthiest metabolism. Add to that liberal amounts of iodized or colored salts (like Himalayan sea salt, my favorite) and you'll provide the best environment for weight loss in general, assuming your calories are under control.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                    Of course Mark has always been lean, but was he really so hawt running all those marathons? I mean you don't see an upper body like that on most endurance athletes. He must have put on some serious muscle, no?

                    When I think of "looking like Mark Sisson" I'm thinking glorious pecs and shoulders, lean with mass.
                    You get those muscles by lifting weights. He lifts.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      There is nothing wrong with lots of starch.....
                      Unless you wanna look like Mark Sisson

                      If thats your goal perhaps you should mirror his WOE.

                      I mean that is what the threads about right? Seems logical to me that if you wanna have the same success (as defined by his build) then you should follow the same patterns of lifestyle he lives. Works that way in many aspects of life.

                      So eat 50-100g of carbs PB style a day, move to Malibu, take up snow boarding and do 30 minutes of exercise a day alternating between body weight and compound weights. Seems to me like this would do the trick.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Unless you wanna look like Mark Sisson

                        If thats your goal perhaps you should mirror his WOE.

                        I mean that is what the threads about right? Seems logical to me that if you wanna have the same success (as defined by his build) then you should follow the same patterns of lifestyle he lives. Works that way in many aspects of life.

                        So eat 50-100g of carbs PB style a day, move to Malibu, take up snow boarding and do 30 minutes of exercise a day alternating between body weight and compound weights. Seems to me like this would do the trick.
                        A lot of people say around here "What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me." But what is the context of that quotation?

                        We are all different - mentally. Physically, we are almost all the same. What works for me physically will almost certainly work for you physically. What changes are our inner conflicts. We all have different jobs, lifestyles, cravings, etc. Maybe you don't like chicken breast. Maybe you hate eggs. Maybe you love running. Maybe you hate lifting weights. That's all personal stuff and it's where the variance comes in. We all operate off of calories. What differs is the type of calories we enjoy and how much we need.

                        Mark's lifestyle "works for him" because he found something that delivered good results that he can maintain every day because he enjoys it. He could look exactly the same eating 15% of his calories from fat if he wanted. But he'd clearly be miserable on that diet, so he wouldn't be able to maintain it and it would blow up in his face. Care to tell me what the typical macro ratios are for competition bodybuilders?

                        20% fat
                        40% protein
                        40% carbohydrate

                        Because that is what is easiest to lean out on for the most part. It's easiest to get lean cutting fat out of your diet because fat is directly stored as body fat, unlike carbohydrate. Carbohydrate also delivers more explosive power as a fuel source, making it better for a weight lifter.

                        But who ENJOYS eating 20% fat? That's not a lifestyle I want to live. I hover around 35% fat because that's just the way it seems to work and allows me to eat any whole food in whatever quantity I please.

                        Adhering to Mark's macros is not the way to look like Mark. Experimenting with every type of macro ratio until you find one that allows you to eat the least amount of calories enjoyably is what will work diet-wise. If that's truly low carb/high fat, do that. If it's low fat/high carb, do that. If it's a mix like me (and I think for most people it will be a mix), do that.

                        For a workout, experiment with every type of exercise until you find something you can do 3-4 times a week and ENJOY IT so you can maintain it the rest of your life. If that's lifting weights, do that. If it's lots of cardio, then damn it it's better than nothing. If it is Zumba and hot yoga, which you wouldn't catch me dead doing, do that. If that's what it takes to get you off your ass every day, then God bless you. You don't have to sprint and lift heavy things if that means you're going to hate life, find excuses to stay away from the gym and not do it. Do I think lifting weights and sprinting is the most effective? Yes, on paper, but if you won't go do it or you dislike it so much you'll do your workout half-assed, then it won't work for you. You have to love it so you give it your all and keep at it.

                        My issue is when you're so caught up in a paradigm you won't let yourself find out what truly works for you. So try everything. You may find what you think works best for you...isn't working. It happened to be so many times. Stubbornness will be your downfall. IMO, this is the biggest downfall of the Primal Blueprint. The stress on the Carbohydrate Curve and "fat being the preferred fuel" really hurts a lot of people because it takes away the message of "simply eat real, whole food" and it scares people into finding out what truly works for them. I wasn't successful until I strayed away from the Primal Blueprint macro template and I took it as simply a "whole foods" message. I am convinced spreading this sentiment will help many of us who have hit the wall, and I'm going to keep spreading that sentiment because I've seen it work too many times.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Then maybe you should yell at them for trying to pick a fight that had no place instead of yelling at me since I was speaking in context of the conversation. If you actually read, it's typically me getting berated by the keto-Nazis when I'm operating in context of the conversation. I rarely pick fights, and it is incredibly annoying when the religious zealots come in and try and dissuade healthy people from eating real food - much less the staple foods of most traditional societies - because they have a history of overeating, poor gut health, a general phobia or an agenda to push that they outright lie about. But why blame yourself when you can blame a foodgroup and not accept responsibility for your actions? I find it amazing how suddenly people on keto are eating chicken breast and sweet potatoes when it is the convenient counterpoint to your argument. I don't believe that story for a second (or the 75-100g of starch story, either). Trolls will be trolls, and I know a lie when I see it most of the time.
                          Hyperbole much?

                          Poor poor beleaguered Choco. Are those keto-nazis being mean to you again?

                          All Ayla did was point out that you should not generalize what works for you to everyone else and you call her a liar about what she had for dinner?

                          WTF dude? Get a grip.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Carbs are such an easy target for elimination. They are easy to identify and easy to avoid. Lots of people come to PB from a LC background.

                            Since I started eating a pound of starch a day, I have enjoyed so many benefits it's unreal. Better bowels, better workouts, less hunger, stable weight, and lower overall calories.

                            A pound of starch sounds incredible, but it's only around 120g carbs.

                            I have found eating 1 pound of potatoes, 1 pound of meats, and 1 pound of veggies keeps me around 1300 calories, plenty of room for other treats like chocolate, wine, fruit, nuts, and butter/CO for cooking in. It's a very intuitive way to eat, too. Just use enough butter/CO to cook with and eat all the fat on your meat and you are golden.

                            You keep up the Pro-starch argument Choco! You're slowly turning people, but you are!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I tried to eat starch (three small sweet potatoes) and hurt so bad by day three I actually went to the ER. For the first time in my life. They found nothing, sent me home, and twelve hours later after much labor, I peed brown exploding water out of my butt for a few hours. Haven't felt that terrible in a very long time. So I'm working back up to starch-consumption, having a banana a day only gives me minimal diarrhea and a little bloat. I'm honestly giving this a few more weeks. When it still isn't working, then I'll swear off starch again. Until then, new underwear every day! I'm probably an idiot for listening to you guys and even trying this...
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                Hyperbole much?

                                Poor poor beleaguered Choco. Are those keto-nazis being mean to you again?

                                All Ayla did was point out that you should not generalize what works for you to everyone else and you call her a liar about what she had for dinner?

                                WTF dude? Get a grip.
                                Don't worry, you don't have to feel sorry for me. I have already reached and exceeded all my goals, I have nothing I'm looking to change or modify at this point in time because it's all working effortlessly. The problem with y'all is you give you typically horrible, backwards advise because you plant your "special flower syndrome" in the back of everyone's minds and it really, really holds them back.

                                I just went through an argument with her a few days ago. In that argument, she was on her 3rd week of strict ketosis and had never felt better in her life. Now a few days later she's off keto and eating chicken breast and sweet potatoes. And I need to get a grip? Drop your biases and actually read. Her situation changes as to what is convenient to the argument at the time. Funny how that happens.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X