Lesser of Two Evils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesser of Two Evils

Listen, I understand that cereal is not primal, and I personally will not eat it. However, I have three children (ages 7, 5 and 3). They have made HUGE strides in their eating habits over the past year and a half, but breakfast is tough. They eat bacon, grass-fed hot dogs, and sausage, but they also want some cereal with their mandatory protein options. Which is the lesser of two evils...gluten-free chex (made with very unorganic corn) or organic cheerios, made with organic wheat? One day the cereal will be gone, but we are taking it slow as far as the kids are concerned. Thanks.
    Last edited by krmsande; 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM.

What about rice cereal? But if I had to choose between corn and wheat, I'd pick corn.

Comment

i'd pick corn over wheat, and rice over corn
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

To echo and reiterate: rice>corn>wheat. And I wouldn't sweat giving rice cereal with whole milk to kids that age a couple times a week as part of an otherwise nutrient-dense diet.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Rice cereal - how have I not thought of that (hand slap on forehead)? I will be on search for some that the kids will like. thanks for input!

Comment

@RichMahogany, your answer brings up another question. I used to be so proud that my kids drank skim milk. Once my husband and I went primal over 18 months ago, I tried switching to whole milk for them and they didn't go for it, so I compromised with 2% milk. Is 2% worth my time, or should I REALLY be forcing whole?

Comment

I just spoke to my boy, Crackle. He can get you a deal on a couple kilo's of excellent stuff.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by krmsande View Post
                @RichMahogany, your answer brings up another question. I used to be so proud that my kids drank skim milk. Once my husband and I went primal over 18 months ago, I tried switching to whole milk for them and they didn't go for it, so I compromised with 2% milk. Is 2% worth my time, or should I REALLY be forcing whole?
                My main concerns with fat-reduced milk are the actual fat-reducing process more than the macronutrient issue. REALLY don't feed your poor kids that defatted, bleached, chemically-processed junk.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

skim, 2% and whole milk all taste very different. when your tongue is accustomed to whole or 2% then skim tastes watery and sweet and gross

i imagine it just tastes weird to them right now, but if you want to bump up the milk fat content then add it to the cereal and it won't be too noticable
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

When we went Primal, I transitioned the kids using gluten-free alternatives, like GF cereal, waffles, bread, and crackers. Eventually, those things became just treats, and now we hardly buy them. Now I make paleo/primal pancakes and muffins instead of the waffles or cereal. While almond flour is expensive, many recipes use mashed banana/sweet potato/pumpkin/etc. and not much flour. My 4yo loves these muffins, I omit the walnuts and increase the carrots a bit, and sometimes use dried cranberries instead of raisins. Paleo Morning Glory Muffins

Comment

Be sure you aren't just looking for gluten free, also check to see if there are preservatives. I stick to organic rice cereal for my kids. They love it and don't notice they aren't getting Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. The brand they love is Koala Crisp.

Comment

We have been doing primal pancakes (egg, milk, rice and or almond flour, applesauce or banana, cinnamon, vanilla extract) and recently having some fun: piggy pancakes. Make three cakes, medium, small, and tiny. Put the medium one on a plate (this is the head) add the small one on top, offset toward the edge (this is the snout). Cut the tiny one in half to make two ears that slip under the top edge of the medium cake. Use two blueberries, raisins, or whatever for two nostrils and two more for eyes. Drizzle with maple syrup. Watch your kid have fun. It's not bacon, but it is a far cry from captain crunch.

Comment

Mix the the 2% with the whole milk and over time increase the percent of whole milk until they don't know the difference
                          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Swap corn chex for rice chex

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I will start mixing the whole and 2% milk together, and try to find a good cereal that they will eat. I tend to stay away from most "gluten free" packaged alternatives that you can buy because I find that they still have so much crap in them it that it isn't worth it! Even though we have been primal for 18 months, I find stuff slowly creeps back in with the kids if you aren't careful. I just did another sweep of the pantry and tossed tons of stuff - got rid of all candies and foods that contained food dyes once and for all. I too make some good almond flour muffins and pancakes - and I can always get one or two kids to eat them, but never all three! Damn, being a mom is a pita....

Comment

Working...
                              X