Kombucha - how much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha - how much is too much?

Well, I tried some, despite thinking fermented tea sounded nasty, and it is yummy. I bought GT's Gingerade and then later a couple of the Enlightened flavors. More than 12oz at once is hard, but I'm sure I could drink a quart in a day. How many billions of Bacillus and Saccharomyces can you drink in a day and not overwhelm your gut?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

you'll start getting loose stools if you've had too much. i can drink 2 a day and be fine. they're addictive, aren't they? trilogy is my fave - delicious!

Comment

Does anyone start having massive binges after drinking one? I get those problems...I am full and then drink one, and then want to eat everything in sight because my stomach feels magically empty.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I can only drink about 8 ounces at a time. I love it, but it is hard to drink a lot. And well, it is expensive.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Too much Kombucha? No way!!

I find that drinking a bottle of Kombucha (I drink 16oz to 32oz a day) makes me feel fantastic! It fills me up, gives me energy and squashes any kind of lingering craving for something sweet. Personally, I brew my own using the Continuous Brewing Method (Continuous Kombucha Brewing | How To Continuous Brew Kombucha Recipe Kombucha Recipe | Kombucha Tea | Kombucha Benefits | Make Kombucha) so I have a huge amount on tap to drink whenever I feel like it and I can control the sugar content. That being said, after I have a full bottle I'm usually good to go for the day and don't crave anymore. I find I crave Kombucha when I'm tired and low on energy.

The only reason I would worry about having too much Kombucha would be if I were paying the ridiculous price tag for the in-store stuff, especially if you're buying it by the gallon >o<. Otherwise, drink up until your satisfied -- just listen to your body.

Comment

Well, I've discovered my daily limit is about 16oz, lol. But I'm glad to have it as a regular part of my diet anyway. I haven't tried a GT's flavor I don't like yet.

I bought some High Country brand because it has a different mix of microorganisms. The wild root flavor is kind of interesting. The ginger flavor is no where near as good as GT's, though.

Sakura_girl, I feel quite full for a while after drinking one and can't imagine binging until hours afterward.
            50yo, 5'3"
            SW-195
            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Does anyone start having massive binges after drinking one? I get those problems...I am full and then drink one, and then want to eat everything in sight because my stomach feels magically empty.
              I have quite the opposite effect actually. If I'm trying to eat less I can sip on kombucha and it will kill my appetite for many hours with no unusual increase after that when I do eat. Sometimes it will kill the appetite enough that I don't eat enough and then the following day I will more than make up for it though.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

I love the stuff too, it doesn't change my appetite one way or another though. Since it's pricey (and I don't really want to make my own at this time) I try not to have more than half the bottle when I buy it, but it doesn't usually last more than a few days anyway. I have kefir more often, trader joes' brand.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Kombucha's a treat in our house, more because of the cost than anything else. I especially enjoy the strange chia seed kombucha, but I'm not sure if they're really as beneficial as the regular "buch"... I'd love to make my own, not sure my apartment is the right environment for it though.

Comment

I notice you all buy your Kombucha drinks. You must have more on offer. In Australia it is very hard to find so I make my own. it is easy and cheap to make, and we all drink a lot of it.

Comment

I make my own Kombucha and Keffir theres a great sight for anyone in the U.K

its called Happy Kombucha

Comment

Hello there, I drink between half and a gallon a day.. I know it sounds crazy but I do. A while ago, I bought "mashroom"-live culture online, actually on ebay, for 5 dollars, and ever since then, I have developed into an real kambucha maker. I make about 4-6 gallons in a week. Very simple, to make, and very teasty to drink.. Acctually, I think that drink itself is way overpriced, if you buy it at the store. I brew my own, with black-olong or green tee.. add sugar to it and let it cool. Than I poor it into my half gallon jars(from wallmart)-made out of glass, and place it into my garage..I cover it with coffee machine filter.. Sure enough, after about 10 days you will have great kambucha drink.. than mother mashroom produces baby,and I can brew double as much next time.. Life is great.. One thing to remember is to "keep it simple".. there is no perfect recepe, you make it based on your taste.. there is no perfect temperature, I left it in colder and hoter weter.. It does not matter except time, it takes longer in cold to brew, and sugar you put inthere converts so is no more sugar.. I personaly use cheep white sugar, and Russian Black tee=I happen to have.. You can use lipton, just don't have any oil flawored but I think even that would work.. I also used olong and green tee and everything worked, my kambucha is excellent..taste is the same like the one I use to buy in the bottle..Except, price is heck of a lot cheeper.. I would recomed to everybody, buy small culture, of the ebay and start brewing your self..You will be proud. Also, I drink now kambucha instead of beer at night, and I love it..Ofcourse beer is good as well.).

Comment

I also make my own! Just two jars at a time, enough for one 16 ounce bottle a day if I conserve. I'd love to drink two a day, I just don't brew that much at this time.

"Too much" is when it negatively impacts your health in any way. Going a week without it and then drinking a bunch at once = the runs. But if drinking it on a normal basis, one should be able to drink quite a bit - as if it were water - without difficulty.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                          X