Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Dry Eyes

Hi guys,

I have been doing primal for about 2.5 months. So far I have lost 23 pounds, so I am loving everything about eating this way. It just suits my tastes, so it is very easy for me to follow without even trying.

Unfortunately, my eyes have increasingly gotten dry since I've started. It's getting quite uncomfortable, and eye drops really don't help. I have wondered if it is low carb that is causing it as I was hovering around 50 grams of carbs per day. This past week I've upped my carb intake to 75-100, and started including sweet potatoes and potatoes (4 days out of the week) since I've read that according to the Perfect Health Diet low starch could cause this issue. After a week, I have noticed no appreciable difference in my eye condition. I am about to try to have starch everyday to see if it helps, but since I haven't noticed even a slight improvement I am skeptical.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did you solve it? I love primal eating, but my eyes are just so uncomfortable I need to figure out how to solve this if I am going to stay on it long term.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Edit: I've also been taking 2.5 grams of omega 3 fish oil (1.5 EPA, 1 DHA) per day as I have read that could help too.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM. Reason: More info

Hmm I am doubtful low carb is doing that.
    I would say it is more of an environmental thing tbh.

Comment

So you are saying you never had this until you went primal?
      How bad were you eating before?

Comment

Dry eye | Better Health Channel
        do you spend a lot of time in front of a computer?

Comment

No, I have never had dry eyes like this. Sometimes maybe I would need an eye drop, but never consistently, and would always only last a day or so and go away. I've had this issue pretty much the entire time I've been eating primal, with the exception of maybe the first couple weeks. Coincidence? Maybe, but the timing sure feels suspicious, hehe.

Yes I spend a lot of time in front of a PC for work, but that's not new. Been in the job for 8 years now.

Comment

Honestly I think co-incidence.
            I would persist with it.
            How do you feel otherwise?

Comment

Otherwise I feel great, and weight is melting off me

Comment

Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet talks about experiencing extremely dry eyes as a result of VLC.
                My True Primal Story

Comment

Exactly, and that's why I jumped up to 75-100, but maybe I should go higher? Like 150?

Comment

Hmm I don't buy it.
                    Seriously give it more time, its only been a week
                    Over 150 g is too high on Marks Carb curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                      Hmm I don't buy it.
                      Seriously give it more time, its only been a week
                      Over 150 g is too high on Marks Carb curve.
                      Too high for what?! Mark's carb curve is a load of nonsense. I can buy that every individual may find a different sweet spot on that "carb curve", but as a prescription for weight loss it's beyond simplistic. For one thing, little me and an average height man will experience 150g carbs very differently. For another, my carbs have been every where between 75-200g/day with no noticeable effect on weight loss.

I don't know about low carbs and dry eyes, but if the OP is mindful of total consumption, he can play around with carbs and not doom himself to permanent fatness. Just stay primal, stay on top of weight or waist measurement or whatever measure makes him happy, and see how it goes. If higher carb doesn't give him the relief he wants, then he can look at more complicated solutions.
                      50yo, 5'3"
                      SW-195
                      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
                        I don't know about low carbs and dry eyes, but if the OP is mindful of total consumption, he can play around with carbs and not doom himself to permanent fatness. Just stay primal, stay on top of weight or waist measurement or whatever measure makes him happy, and see how it goes. If higher carb doesn't give him the relief he wants, then he can look at more complicated solutions.
                        This was kind of my thoughts. When I made the move to 75-100g of carbs I still lost the same amount of weight in the week (2 pounds). In a perfect world, I'd find the right level of carbs to keep my eyes happy (assuming LC is what is causing my problems) and still be able to drop weight. I think I will try jumping up to 100-125 and see what happens.

If anyone else has experience with this issue I'd love to hear how you fixed it, and if it was indeed through a higher carb level, what amount you settled on.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Gee Ayla, you are so caught up in low carbing as the bees knees that you can't even entertain the possibility that low carbing may some how lead to dry eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                            Gee Ayla, you are so caught up in low carbing as the bees knees that you can't even entertain the possibility that low carbing may some how lead to dry eyes.
                            I have no problem with whatever level of carbs a person chooses to eat but the connection between dry eyes and ANY carb level, low or high, just doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. I just don't see any mechanism by which they could possibly be related.

Lots of things can and do cause dry eyes. Low/high carbs? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              the connection between dry eyes and ANY carb level, low or high, just doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. I just don't see any mechanism by which they could possibly be related..
                              As a hypothesis - maybe cos' carbs make your body retain water?
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                              X