Signs of Ketosis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Is the blood monitor the same device diabetics use to test themselves at home? We have one of those that another member of the family uses. This February I will have been Primal 2 years. I've lost 115 lbs so I just figured I might be in Ketosis. I used the test strips and they don't register even as dark as the lowest color on the scale.
    It's the same monitor (but it has to specify that it tests both bg and ketones, not all do) but you need different test strips. They are rather pricey.

Comment

LOL....good point OP: will somebody please answer this fellas question now?

I would actually just assume that if you have kept carbs bellow 50g for more than 3 days you are in ketosis, but I will leave a more nuanced answer to those who actually measure for it.
      I was under 50g for 4 days and when I tested with ketostix it was positive. Stayed in ketosis for about 2 weeks and never got any of the "normal" signs (metallic taste in mouth, strong smelling breath/urine). FWIW Volek/Phinney recommend blood testing as the only accurate method. I've not tried that but I found the ketostix quite variable with their readings which I am putting down to hydration level (although I've not tested this scientifically!)

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        It's the same monitor (but it has to specify that it tests both bg and ketones, not all do) but you need different test strips. They are rather pricey.
        Rosemary and Karin Here is your answer about the blood ketone monitor. The test strips average $5.00 each. I am going to go check my Mom's blood sugar monitors to see if any of them have the ketone feature. If not, I'll probably order one and test once a week to keep costs down.

Blood ketone testing shows different levels of ketosis and might be useful for those trying to reach deep nutritional ketosis for whatever reason.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          Rosemary and Karin Here is your answer about the blood ketone monitor. The test strips average $5.00 each. I am going to go check my Mom's blood sugar monitors to see if any of them have the ketone feature. If not, I'll probably order one and test once a week to keep costs down.

Blood ketone testing shows different levels of ketosis and might be useful for those trying to reach deep nutritional ketosis for whatever reason.
          Thanks for the information. I want to have a look at the monitor we have here at the house. It might still be worth the price of the test strips to be able to check them just every once in awhile.

Comment

Working...
          X