Liver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver

I know I should be eating liver, and today I finally gave in and tried it. Either my cooking method/recipe was a fail, or liver really is just that gross. Ugh, all my of dreams of eating liver and avoiding supplements have been smashed to bits. I even tried making a pate with the liver and it was all just wrong for me. The taste wasn't too bad, the texture is what ruined it. Actually, now that I think about it I did have to drink about 1/2 a bottle of wine to get that taste out of my mouth. Apparently I think it's all bad. So here I am wondering if there's any other way to get in a 1/4 lb of liver a week. Any suggestions?

soak it in milk for a few hours then fry it in butter

other than that, try other liver that isn't as strong(chicken, i think it's shit though) calf(milder taste), or lamb. also dessicated liver tabs.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

I actually did soak it in milk, for a long time. I'll see if I can find other animals, so far all I've been able to find is beef

Comment

Just dont eat it. Buy liver tabs if you are that concerned but really there is nothing in liver that you cant get elsewhere. Forcing down something you dont like is not healthy even if its for health reasons.

Comment

I hate liver too, with a passion. This is the least offensive version I have found But I cube the liver in to tiny pieces before frying, and top it would lots of lemon juice and cilantro. It's not too terrible.

I also can choke down yakitori style chicken livers at a good japanese restaurant. I am going to try to figure out how to make those next.
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I hate liver too, with a passion. This is the least offensive version I have found But I cube the liver in to tiny pieces before frying, and top it would lots of lemon juice and cilantro. It's not too terrible.

Crispy Spiced Chicken Livers | theclothesmakethegirl

I also can choke down yakitori style chicken livers at a good japanese restaurant. I am going to try to figure out how to make those next.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Forgot to mention but if you REAAALLLY want to get liver into your diet, the best way i have heard would be to grind it up and mix it with hamburger.

Comment

Counterintuitively, a neighbor of mine told me that pig's liver is milder than chicken liver. I haven't tried it yet since I'm a huge fan of chicken liver, but I'm sure I will eventually.

I like it sauteed in wine or sweet vermouth and butter. I've never soaked chicken liver in milk, but I would soak liver that had a strong smell.

If liver is impossible for you to like, try eating heart. It doesn't have that ooshy taste.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Most overcook liver. It should be rare (ie pink inside). Chicken livers have a very mild flavour. Rare calf's liver is also mild

If you really struggle with it, don't. Eat plenty of shellfish instead
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I can't even give you a good recommendation on how to cook it because I hate the flavor. I just cut it up into pieces and eat it raw. The texture's better, I can just slurp it down after I've chewed it sufficiently, and if I take a lick of the juice before I start eating it, I'm better prepared for the flavor and I can just pretend I'm eating a public drinking fountain.

And I get to do that for about a half hour because it takes forever to chew. It truly is a not-fun thing to eat.

Comment

US Wellness meats, in their pet food section, sells blended GF meat, heart and liver and you can use it in anything you would use regular ground beef and nobody would know the difference, meatloaf, marinara, meatballs, etc. I just don't tell my dog I'm ordering pet food or then he would want me to share.

Comment

I never thought to mix it in with ground beef, that's so simple and I bet I wouldn't even notice it in there. I'm reading The Perfect Health Diet right now and with all the supplements I should be getting I just can't get liver out of my head. I know I'm low on some of the things that liver offer; but I don't do well on supplements, most of them make me puke or give me horrid headaches. And the only seafood I'll eat is very, very, very mild fish. I tried to eat shellfish once and I couldn't stomach it. I'm really a wuss when it comes to weird textures.

I actually ran across a thread where someone mentioned cutting it into little pieces then freezing it and swallowing it like you would a pill. Is it safe to eat raw/frozen liver? I might actually try that if I can't stomach it mixed into ground beef.
                        Last edited by ErinF; 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          US Wellness meats, in their pet food section, sells blended GF meat, heart and liver and you can use it in anything you would use regular ground beef and nobody would know the difference, meatloaf, marinara, meatballs, etc. I just don't tell my dog I'm ordering pet food or then he would want me to share.
                          I eat 1 lb per week of US Wellness liverwurst. I love it cold with mustard or warmed up with my eggs. My dog goes bonkers everytime I take it out of the frig. I never give him a taste because, if I did, he would go totally insane every time he smelled it.

Comment

Make pâté out of it, or buy some. It's how I've been getting mine.
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

A lot of people overcook liver. I buy grass fed calf liver. I fry up some onions and maybe some mushrooms in butter until nice and soft, then you cut the liver in to extremely thin strips and throw it in the pan. Cook till turns grey and starts "bleeding" red juice out, but no more than that. Delicious.
                              My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

Working...
                              X