No announcement yet.

Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it "carnivorousness" or "carnivory?" The grammar Nazi in me needs to know.

Comment

Im eating exactly the opposite as you, cool!

Good luck though, should be interesting. That Bear was one weird fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
        Is it "carnivorousness" or "carnivory?" The grammar Nazi in me needs to know.
        Whenever I write carnivory my spell checker objects so I went with carnivorousness.

Originally posted by Zach View Post
        Im eating exactly the opposite as you, cool!
        Good luck though, should be interesting. That Bear was one weird fella.
        So, what else is new? But yeah, The Bear was quite a character. Did you know that the Steely Dan song "Kid Charlemagne" was about him? Are you old enough to remember Steely Dan?

Comment

What is Steely Dan

I ate a piece of meat today, Paleobird
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            But you are an incredibly fit and healthy person and, being a yoga teacher, you associate with all kinds of other fit and health conscious people (a lot of the yoga "types" I've known area also vegetarian if you'll forgive the stereotype). So there is probably an emphasis on veg, kids with celery sticks instead of crackers in their lunches, etc. This is the world I live in too. My friends are fit and go hiking, cycling, etc.
            It's really weird, actually. The emphasis in my circles is on bread.

Our largest circle is Steiner, and they are bread-making fiends. Some of them do gluten free, others are WAPF-styled bread makers. Making crackers is a big deal, too. So, they are more likely to go this route.

hanging out with other americans, there is a large kiwi-fied version of the SAD for kids. Lots of white bread, rice crackers, and odd little junky foods. Dried fruit. Grapes are very popular. hummus and dip, too, sometimes.

So, it's interesting. But, you know, I'm capable of having my own ideas about what is healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              I ate a piece of meat today, Paleobird
              Ooooh talk meaty to me, Derpy.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              So, it's interesting. But, you know, I'm capable of having my own ideas about what is healthy.
              I'm not saying this is how you should think, just that you telling me how much you love you veg sounds like me a few months ago. It's possible for ideas to change and for tastes to change. I think there is also an element of familiarity involved. As in you want what you are used to and know well. That was one of the interesting points along the way on the Shangri-la thread about chain restaurants being able to stimulate a pavlovian appetite response due to their familiarity. Perhaps when something is left out long enough to not even seem familiar anymore, the craving goes away. I find I have lost my taste for chocolate.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

made it thru day 9 of carnivory here even if i can't spell it properly. i lost my taste for chocolate after i really did ditch all the grains and sugar and no cheats or paleo sex with pants on foods. beef tastes sweet to me now. currently i am dabbling in a mix of cooked and raw carnivory since i have always liked raw meat and fish. still eating eggs, dairy in the form of cream and brie. i'm eating seafood at least every other day and evening up my 03 and 06 fat consumption with fish oil. just coz. i started off doing a random week of carnivory as it was something i wanted to do this year for an experiment. i had ended up with a day by accident all carnivore as i had been ill and i kept going. so... very interesting to read the links. all i can say so far is i feel good. my ability to lift at the gym hasnt been compromised. i am thinking alot clearer too. time will tell but right now i am going to keep going for 2 weeks to see how i go.

Comment

Yes, the lamb chops I had for dinner really tasted sweet. I lost the taste for chocolate after I quit using any stevia.

Now that I have a good supplier of locally grown GF meats, I would like to explore a bit more into eating some meat raw. I figure my O3/O6 ratio is doing fine with no bad oils and only GF meats plus lots of sea food in my diet so I don't even bother with any fish oil. My idea of fish oil supplement is a can of sardines. I love salmon roe.

For me too it has been something that just happened, not any regulation I imposed on myself. I say as long as it feels right, why not?

Comment

So the carnivorous diet I would construct for myself would be “dirty” not pure. Meat centered buy not exclusively meat. Of all the experts, it comes closest to what Nora is saying in "Primal Body, Primal Mind".

I would include the not “strictly plant” plants because I love shrooms and seaweed salad.

Dairy would definitely be in as well. You can pry my mascarpone from my cold dead hands.

Some plants that are high in fat would still be in such as avocados, coconut products, and an occasional splurge on macadamia nuts.

Things like onion and garlic are included as condiments. And I’m not giving up my Mexican salsas.

A seasonal splurge such as home grown berries or a peach picked off my neighbor’s tree would be fine too (Dr. Georgia Ede on her website Diagnosis Diet : Where Nutrition Meets Common Sense (Nutrition Science Meets Common Sense | Dr. Georgia Ede | Diagnosis: Diet) has some very interesting things to say about the relative safety of fruits vs veggies in our diets.

If there is any vegetation not listed above that I actually like in its natural condition (not just as a dip or butter delivery device) then I will have some. The only ones that come to mind, no matter how hard I think, are bell peppers and maybe asparagus. Nah! I can take or leave the asparagus. Bell peppers are more of a condiment/decoration
                    I don't think that's disordered eating at all. In fact I could probably eat like during all the warm months. I do like my spuds and squashes come the cold months. And giving up cheese unless it makes one sick is positively uncivilized (boucherondin is my current cheese love).

We get about 70-100 years to enjoy it all, and if this is what makes you feel better, then go for it. I wish for you seizure-free days aplenty.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      I don't think that's disordered eating at all. In fact I could probably eat like during all the warm months. I do like my spuds and squashes come the cold months. And giving up cheese unless it makes one sick is positively uncivilized (boucherondin is my current cheese love).

We get about 70-100 years to enjoy it all, and if this is what makes you feel better, then go for it. I wish for you seizure-free days aplenty.
                      Thank you, Joanie. I am aiming for more like 120-150 years however.

Somehow I think I would have more longing for something like berries during the summer. Right now I just want meat with a side order of meat.

Comment

As goddess is my witness, with my big mouth, someone will surely shoot me before I reach 120.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Now that I have a good supplier of locally grown GF meats, I would like to explore a bit more into eating some meat raw.
                          all our meat here except chicken and pork is grass fed. the wild hog in my freezer was grass fed tho. feed lots do weird me out. as does the pig "farm" on the way to town that has no visible pigs to be seen. ETA: there is a whole world of raw meat recipes out there. i am very much enjoying all the ones i have tried so far ( bar the raw liver salad which was overkill on the liver flavour )

summer here. i prefer wild berries to cultivated ones. i am still feeling more inclined to eat meat right now. even avocados are not appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                            all our meat here except chicken and pork is grass fed. the wild hog in my freezer was grass fed tho. feed lots do weird me out. as does the pig "farm" on the way to town that has no visible pigs to be seen. ETA: there is a whole world of raw meat recipes out there. i am very much enjoying all the ones i have tried so far ( bar the raw liver salad which was overkill on the liver flavour )

summer here. i prefer wild berries to cultivated ones. i am still feeling more inclined to eat meat right now. even avocados are not appealing.
                            You should check out the Dirty Carnivore site. They have a whole section of the forum about raw meat. Some very interesting stuff.

The meat I just bought, 1/2goat, 1/2lamb, and 1/4cow is from a place just north of here. Their primary business is growing high end specialty fruits. So they started keeping a few animals around to eat the fire hazard underbrush but also to eat the tree trimmings and all the spoiled fruit (if a bird pecks at something, it is not salable) plus they provide organic fertilizer along the way. So my meat was out strolling around in an orchard its whole life.

Also they do all the butchering under the Halal tradition.

That is meat I might be able to trust enough to eat raw. The stuff in the cooler at Walmart, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              I'm not saying this is how you should think, just that you telling me how much you love you veg sounds like me a few months ago. It's possible for ideas to change and for tastes to change.
                              And I agreed, by demonstrating my new relationship with fruit. I still love fruit, but I don't "want" it as much anymore, you know? I don't know if that's taste changing or what.

I also have *very* low tolerance for ice cream these days. I had it about two weeks ago (actually, a sorbetto), and i got brain freeze and a tummy ache. And it was kiddy size. I was like, what? dude. ah well. maybe that's just no longer wanting. LOL

I think there is also an element of familiarity involved. As in you want what you are used to and know well. That was one of the interesting points along the way on the Shangri-la thread about chain restaurants being able to stimulate a pavlovian appetite response due to their familiarity. Perhaps when something is left out long enough to not even seem familiar anymore, the craving goes away. I find I have lost my taste for chocolate.
                              I think it's true. There are articles on the SLD site where he talks about going to a different culture where there aren't "comfort foods" (or known flavors), and so he could eat and still lost weight because the body saw it as 'tasteless' for a long time. Or something like that. So, we definitely adapt.

When we came here, a lot of our favorite foods are goners. So, we had to develop new favorite foods. It took a while. I'm still not into it (which is why calorie restriction has been easy). Some of it I really like all around (kumara, maori purple potatoes!), and some of it im learning to like (moana -- seafood -- and eating more fish). i've given up pork -- it wasn't working for me. And chicken is very comforting.

But anyway, yeah. LOL

Comment

Ya, I feel the same way about fruit. I used to have to hold myself back from it but now I see it in the market and it kind of looks like a wax still life display. It's like I don't mentally associate anything with it.

I had a half a bite of green tea ice cream at a friends birthday the other night and it was almost gaggingly sweet. And Green tea ice cream is known for being not as sweet as most.

I'm not sure I buy the part in the SLD about foreign foods not having a taste association and therefor he could eat and not gain weight. I think they might not stimulate a person to want to eat as much but calories still count when they hit the tummy. Losing weight on vacation could also have the confounding variable of lots of walking involved.

I'm glad you're getting into seafood. (I just had a sudden craving for a platter of raw oysters) Pork doesn't work for me either. There is another thread going about that. Jammies posted an interesting WAPF study on blood coagulation after eating pork. It was a small study but it would be interesting to see it widened.

Comment

Working...
                                X