Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best oil to fry with? Olive, Flaxseed, Cocounut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best oil to fry with? Olive, Flaxseed, Cocounut?

Hey guys,

So I've been frying most my food in olive oil but find it iritates my throat and can taste it to much..

Wondered what the healthiest oil option I had. I was thinking of using flaxseed oil for omega 3 benefits, does it have much taste?

I don't want to use coconut oil because I don't like the taste.

Thoughts,

Thanks. Steve

lard.......

Comment

Yep lard.
      Ghee is good too (butter with milk solids removed)

Are you buying unrefined coconut oil? It has no taste.

Comment

Never fry with olive oil, it has a low smoke point. Lard is best.
        Georgette

Comment

Whats the difference between coconut oil (the solid stuff) and unrefined in regards with health benefits.

Comment

Lard you say? Why pick that over other choice?

Also, Flaxseed was something I was definitely considering, why shouldnt I choose that option?

Comment

All coconut oil is solid (when cold). Unrefined is processed differently and has no taste.
              Dont fry the flaxseed oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                All coconut oil is solid (when cold). Unrefined is processed differently and has no taste.
                Dont fry the flaxseed oil.
                Any difference in health benefits between refined and unrefined?

Also, why not flaxseed oil?

Comment

First, have you read the PB book?

Comment

flaxseed oil gets rancid when heated Healthy Oils | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Ghjjf View Post
                      Lard you say? Why pick that over other choice?

Also, Flaxseed was something I was definitely considering, why shouldnt I choose that option?
                      For the same reason. Saturated fats are good because they remain chemically stable when you are frying with them. Lard, ghee (butter without the proteins) and coconut oil are all examples of saturated fat. Olive Oil is a mono-unsaturated. It's an ok alternative if there are no saturated fats to cook with.

As a general rule of thumb, if it's solid at room temperature, it's good to go. The more runny it is, the more you should run from it.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Heating flax seed turns it into something akin to linseed oil, not something we should consume

Comment

My preferences, in descending order:

Tallow (grass-fed)
                          Lard (pastured, not hydrogenated)
                          Coconut oil (refined. Just bought a 5-gallon bucket from Trop. Trad. So many uses)
                          Palm shortening
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

In a Primal/paleo diet we try to eat things that reduce systemic inflammation. Oxidized fats are highly inflammatory. Unsaturated fats are prone to oxidation--especially in the presence of heat. Flax oil would be one of the worst oils to cook with. it is extremely prone to oxidation--even at room temperature. Saturated fats are less likely to oxidize--that's why they're best for cooking. Just don't heat them above their smoke point.

Comment

Also, as pointed out, linseed oil is flax oil. If you polish furniture with linseed oil and leave the rag out, it will catch on fire. That's how prone flax is to oxidation.

Moreover, rancid oils are oxidized oils.

Comment

Working...
                              X