Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best oil to fry with? Olive, Flaxseed, Cocounut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghjjf View Post
    Whats the difference between coconut oil (the solid stuff) and unrefined in regards with health benefits.
    The extra virgin coconut oil (the one with coconut flavor) is ideal. However, many people (me included) don't like the flavor, especially when used for frying/sauteing. You can use refined CO, but make sure it is expeller pressed or cold expeller pressed. It's good also. I use the Specrtum brand.
    Ghee, lard, avocado oil, MCT oil, tallow, butter are all good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
      The extra virgin coconut oil (the one with coconut flavor) is ideal. However, many people (me included) don't like the flavor, especially when used for frying/sauteing. You can use refined CO, but make sure it is expeller pressed or cold expeller pressed. It's good also. I use the Specrtum brand.
      Ghee, lard, avocado oil, MCT oil, tallow, butter are all good as well.
      I am in England and have seen avocado oil on sale, so I might buy some of that. I used to buy a block of lard and fry but my sister hates the smell of it.

I now fry with butter, olive oil (It smokes a tiny bit), and oil from when I make my batch of pork scratchings. Would you say this is okay?

Comment

I strain the fat from bacon, and Duck, and that is great to cook with. Sometimes I use coconut oil, or ghee depending on what I am cooking, and what I think will add to the flavor.

Duck fat is crazy slick, I also use it to season cast iron pans, it is great stuff!!!

Comment

The extra virgin coconut oil with the stronger flavor is not something I prefer to cook with, and use the refined coconut oil instead. I stop all consumption of coconut oil at dinnertime, as eating it any later in the evening causes me insomnia, because the MCT's in coconut oil is like pure energy, and it wires me.

Comment

Lard, tallow, duck fat, goose fat, ... All the good things that freak my mil out
            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
              I now fry with butter, olive oil (It smokes a tiny bit), and oil from when I make my batch of pork scratchings. Would you say this is okay?
              Be careful with the cooking temp. Any time an oil is heated beyond its smoke point, the chemical structure gets altered.

Comment

Just don't buy the 'lard' from the grocery store, it's not much better than a brick of Crisco. If you have a Mexican grocery near-by they might have real lard but you can't count on it. I don't, so I render my own. Also render my own (grass-fed) beef tallow, which is probably my favorite for frying or the occasional deep-fry. Then refined coconut oil - I don't like the taste of coconut and really hate the smell so I buy refined from Tropical Traditions. I love olive oil for sauteed (sp?) veggies and lastly, butter for eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                  Just don't buy the 'lard' from the grocery store, it's not much better than a brick of Crisco. If you have a Mexican grocery near-by they might have real lard but you can't count on it. I don't, so I render my own. Also render my own (grass-fed) beef tallow, which is probably my favorite for frying or the occasional deep-fry. Then refined coconut oil - I don't like the taste of coconut and really hate the smell so I buy refined from Tropical Traditions. I love olive oil for sauteed (sp?) veggies and lastly, butter for eggs.
                  Oh, okay I will research the board on how to render my own lard/tallow. This way of eating is too good to mess up with using the wrong oils.

Comment

Working...
                  X