Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is chocolate really good for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is chocolate really good for you?

    I've been reading a lot of articles recently about cacao and it seems a lot of people think that cacao isn't so good after all.

    Is Raw Cacao Really Healthy?

    Is Cacao Good Or Bad? - High on Health— High on Health

    One bit which worries me is "We could sum this up simply by saying that raw cacao over stimulates the heart, mind, nervous system and body. Over stimulation is never a good thing. It leads to burn out, malfunction and degradation."

    Does anyone have any opinions on this?
    Last edited by Lukey; 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM.

  • #2
    My opinion is that it is healthy in a sound and balanced diet, but no need in overdoing it, more is not always better. Find a balance with the rest of the food you are eating I say...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

    Comment


    • #3
      i stopped eating it because I didnt feel it was healthy for ME...but I have a seizure disorder and dont need my brain over-stimulated anyway.
      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
      http://thewoodsygal.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        A little over two years ago, I was eating anywhere from half a bar to an entire bar of 85% dark chocolate a day, and I felt AWFUL. No energy, poor sleep, poor skin, very irritable, etc.

        I've long since got my consumption of cacao in check, so I've been able to more accurately measure the effects of reasonable quantities, and in many cases, it's still no good. A very small amount of very dark chocolate (85%+, <10g) every other day works best for me. "Lighter" chocolate (less than 70%) doesn't seem to bother me much, but I don't really like overly sweet chocolate.

        There are significant differences between raw cacao and non-raw cacao -- I would opt for non-raw cacao in every case. Raw cacao is simply not a good food choice for me. I recently visited a friend's health store in NY and bought one of the high end raw cacao bars. I didn't eat much of it, but within an hour, I felt dizzy, nauseous, and fatigued.
        Last edited by tarek; 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am beginning to realize that I have a poor reaction to chocolate.

          I'm semi-addicted to the stuff. But when I stop eating it, I stop bloating in my face, and eventually I lose all my water weight.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Just look at the all mighty Orac scale! It rocks the sox off of any vegetable and pounds blueberries.

            So from now on my list in order of refrigerator space importance goes: Eggs, Meat, Raw Milk, Chocolate.....everything else.

            You wanna improve your chances at a Nobel Prize? Eat your chocolate!

            MMS: Error

            Ok, I'm kinda joking. In all seriousness I would treat it like any "scary" vegetable (spinache, kale, broccoli). Eat a bit of it.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not there yet, but my guess is that dark chocolate for me will become a delicacy to be had and be akin to "getting drunk" on maybe 2 or 3 squares one weekend. But not an everyday, whole bar kind of thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Holy Moly, is there anything we can eat that does not have a study saying it is harmful? Crap, I have to eat something good and dark chocolate will be it. 1/2 serving of Lindt 90 daily plus 20 grams of nibs in my shredded coconut. I did switch to decaf coffee but I have to draw the line somewhere. Seriously, next year there will be a bunch of new studies extolling the virtues of dark chocolate.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Just look at the all mighty Orac scale! It rocks the sox off of any vegetable and pounds blueberries.

                  So from now on my list in order of refrigerator space importance goes: Eggs, Meat, Raw Milk, Chocolate.....everything else.

                  You wanna improve your chances at a Nobel Prize? Eat your chocolate!

                  MMS: Error

                  Ok, I'm kinda joking. In all seriousness I would treat it like any "scary" vegetable (spinache, kale, broccoli). Eat a bit of it.
                  Can you access that article? It says I need to purchase it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If eating chocolate is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                    Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lukey View Post
                      Can you access that article? It says I need to purchase it.
                      I cant access the whole article but they blog about it at the bottom of this post and give some more info:

                      Chocolate: What is the Optimal Dose? | Perfect Health Diet

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm with the neck on this one.
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          I cant access the whole article but they blog about it at the bottom of this post and give some more info:

                          Chocolate: What is the Optimal Dose? | Perfect Health Diet
                          Ah, quite interesting haha

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tarek View Post
                            A little over two years ago, I was eating anywhere from half a bar to an entire bar of 85% dark chocolate a day, and I felt AWFUL. No energy, poor sleep, poor skin, very irritable, etc.

                            I've long since got my consumption of cacao in check, so I've been able to more accurately measure the effects of reasonable quantities, and in many cases, it's still no good. A very small amount of very dark chocolate (85%+, <10g) every other day works best for me. "Lighter" chocolate (less than 70%) doesn't seem to bother me much, but I don't really like overly sweet chocolate.

                            There are significant differences between raw cacao and non-raw cacao -- I would opt for non-raw cacao in every case. Raw cacao is simply not a good food choice for me. I recently visited a friend's health store in NY and bought one of the high end raw cacao bars. I didn't eat much of it, but within an hour, I felt dizzy, nauseous, and fatigued.
                            I completely agree. Once i ate a whole 100g bar of 85% and about half an hour later i felt incredibly sick. I felt very nauseous and hallucinogenic for the rest of the day, like i was high, it was awful. But it's definitely a dosage issue, too much chocolate makes me feel bad, but the right amount I find makes me feel really good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I eat two squares of 90% Lindt most days. It makes me feel good, keeps any sweet cravings at bay and stops me bingeing on sweet stuff. Very occasionally I'll eat four squares but find that by the end of it I've stopped enjoying it. You guys who can eat an entire bar are hardcore!

                              These days I'm not keen on anything much less than 85% as it tastes too sweet and fatty, but my 90% Lindt is what makes life living. If it's not good for me, then tough - I'm not going to stop.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X