Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You're against simply eating whole foods
    Where did I say this?
    I eat plenty of whole foods thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      That was about both sides of the carb wars, not just you Ayla. FWIW, I agree with everything you said. Choco just does not get that his reality=/=universal reality.
      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      By which you mean she should agree with you instead of going with what works for her.
      This x1000.
      *sigh*

So over it.
      I do HORRIBLY on even moderate carbs.
      Not digestively, but still... that is my n=1

N=1 is valid.
      Yes, Warmbears can, and probably should, attempt to rehab his gut via fermented veg, cultured dairy, and some probiotics (I prefer and recommend Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra probiotics, I tried the PB9 and a couple of others before I found the GoL and the others didn't really do anything at all)... but there are carbs in foods that he is already eating that are not causing him distress. He is not eating a zero carb diet. It's just the very high carb items that are doing it.

Eating small portions of them, working up to them by eating small amounts along with probiotic supps, experimenting with other carby, but less carby, medium carb load veg.
      Take it slow...
      But I don't think it's critical to eat those things if they continue to give you digestive issues.

Choco's saying that one will become nutritionally deficient eating low carb is simply ridiculous.
      Low carb is not zero carb.
      Low carb can accommodate a very wide variety of foods including most every fruit and vegetable I can think of in moderation... shock of all shocks even occasional foods that are higher carb... and those foods when entered into any tracking app will get you every single nutrient you can think of. There is absolutely nothing nutritionally in potatoes or sweet potatoes that I can't get in other lower carb fruits, and vegetables. Seriously.

Also... just like there is "info" out there that says that ketosis is "stressful" there is also equally relevant and credible information that says that it is actually not.

It's better for my body.
      Maybe it's not better for yours.
      But stop acting like it's the fucking anti-christ. :rolleyes
      Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013, 01:10 AM.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
        It's better for my body.
        Maybe it's not better for yours.
        Stop acting like it's the fucking anti-christ. :rolleyes
        Totally agree

Comment

Not to get off-topic, but Ayla, is your screen name a reference to chrono trigger? have i asked you that before? haha
          I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

I was waiting for this debate to take over another thread.

And well said Cori.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
              Not to get off-topic, but Ayla, is your screen name a reference to chrono trigger? have i asked you that before? haha
              No idea what chrono trigger is sorry.
              Its the main character in the book series Clan of the Cave bear.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not interested in speaking to the carb war debate. I've read all of Ray's and Stephan's stuff that Chaco likes to link. I swear its kinda boring though. I think he's got these same 3-4 "carb" posts set to copy paste in every thread.

Sometimes its just best to recognize the answer that is right in front of your face. In OP's case it is that he has noticeable problems introducing carbohydrate heavy foods to his diet. Eliminating those things improve his feeling of health and well being. Sure probiotics are good....don't forget bone broth also for gut health. But while you are healing why make yourself miserable eating foods that you don't need just cause some random on the interwebs screams "Yo you need your carbs! It ain't carbs fault your broke!"....seriously.

Sorry if metabolic syndrome, fructose malabsorption, and carb intolerance are heretic speak to Peat followers... It's time to get real.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                  Where did I say this?
                  I eat plenty of whole foods thank you very much.
                  You're purposely adhering to a diet of ~70% fat. That means you're against simply eating whole foods and excluding those with a high carbohydrate count.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Choco's saying that one will become nutritionally deficient eating low carb is simply ridiculous.
                    Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Totally agree
                      Also totally agree. How do you all stand his self-righteous preaching?
                      Starting Weight: 197.5
                      Current Weight: 123
                      Far healthier!

Comment

Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
                        Not really.
                        I do it and I eat pretty much everything...
                        EXCEPT very high carb foods... potatoes (also a nightshade issue for me), sweet potatoes, and the like.
                        I do eat leaner cuts of meat quite frequently, such as skirt or flank steak, the only difference is in the portion and the preparation, and balancing it on the plate with fats, how about an avocado? Mmmm... like fajitas.
                        I also eat moderate carb foods such as winter squash... it's about normal portions. I don't need to eat a whole pound at dinner like you.
                        Last night I had a black cherry and balsamic reduction, OMG CARBS!!!... and stayed well below 50 carbs for the day.

Have a nice day.

You eat what you want...
                        Stop telling other people how wrong they are.
                        And how deprived they MUST be.
                        Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I'm erasing this so that maybe the thread may get back on topic. Had a post with several meats and eggs that I eat showing about 60% fat in them. And fat IS nutrition. Don't go getting fooled by the "empty calories" crap. Learn a bit about how these various fatty acids improve your health, cause they are vital.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I don't think you need a "ton of carbs." I also don't think you need a "ton of fat." Eat real food and you'll naturally get enough of each. It's when you start exclusionary dieting - like ketosis or low carb BS out of macronutrient fear - that you run into problems.
                            I agree with this assessment. It often feels that this has become more of an Atkins diet forum than a true paleo or primal forum. The Inuit are much-lauded on this forum as being some sort of archetypal paleo people... yet they have never been known to be exceptionally long-lived. I am not Inuit, nor am I built like the Inuit, nor do I live in such a hostile environment as to require huge amounts of dietary fat simply to provide the amount of calories necessary to exist in such an environment. Personally, I'd much rather pattern my diet after a group of people who have attained good health and a long life, such as the Okinawans. In every study I have read to date... that sort of diet includes a lot more carbs than most people here are willing to accept.

Comment

Yes this.
                              Seriously Chaco? Seriously. Honestly this is BS and right now I am fuming. I shouldn't care what you think, I don't know you from a bar of soap. But PLEASE PLEASE do NOT tell me that what I am doing is not right, as I know it is right for ME!
                              How do you know its for you after only three weeks?

Choco has been spot on this whole thread. It would do you good to go back and actually read his responses. Maybe eat a bit of sugar while you do it to knock down those stress hormones so you can relax and think clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by JEL62 View Post
                                I agree with this assessment. It often feels that this has become more of an Atkins diet forum than a true paleo or primal forum. The Inuit are much-lauded on this forum as being some sort of archetypal paleo people... yet they have never been known to be exceptionally long-lived. I am not Inuit, nor am I built like the Inuit, nor do I live in such a hostile environment as to require huge amounts of dietary fat simply to provide the amount of calories necessary to exist in such an environment. Personally, I'd much rather pattern my diet after a group of people who have attained good health and a long life, such as the Okinawans. In every study I have read to date... that sort of diet includes a lot more carbs than most people here are willing to accept.
                                Or how about the Hunza? They get the majority of their calories from *gasp* grains and fruit!

Comment

Working...
                                X