No announcement yet.

gaining weight, don't know why...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sound like someone with a lot of muscular mass or not carrying a lot of fat on the lower body (or anywhere for that matter). I am 5'6" and 1/2" (169 cm), and my body fat was 18% on the scale, ~ 22% from 3 measurements at the weight of 116-118 lbs, and people would estimate 25% from a picture. I am ~132 lbs now, and the scale measures me on 22%, and I am too vulnerable to take inches, but I would guess 25-30%. The bio-impedance goes through the thighs, and I have epic ones to impress even Cathelyn Stark....

To be honest, I would sell my soul to be 15%.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Are you able to switch doctors? If you and her aren't on the same page with respect to basic nutrition, you would likely be best served with a more open-minded physician.

Comment

Hiya frenchie!

I'm also 5'7" and I currently weigh in at 128. I'd like to get down to 125-ish, but admittedly, i'm not putting in a TON of effort.

1. I do think the medication is playing a roll. Everyone I know who used it has gained weight, no matter if it's only 17-22% in terms of reporting. So, increasing vitamin D and moving away from the medication will help. (lexipro and that family are worse, though -- so don't go for those!)

2. I am currently eating around 1500 calories per day and fasting 14-16 hr day-fasts. I haven't had any trouble from it.

3. For me, the last weight gain I had was when i was "less primal" -- ie, more dairy, more likely to sneak in "treats" and the like. Even if it was 20% (or less) -- it was still too much!

My diet is currently:

3 eggs in butter and green juice (today is silver beet, rhubarb, celery, coriander, lemon, apple, ginger); 2-4 oz mince plus orange for lunch/snack (sometiems I'll have pepper instead of an orange); and then 5-8 oz fish, chicken, or steak plus BAS or steamed brocc/cauli.

4. When I get good sleep -- I am glad you are finished with shift work because it's a doosy -- I tend to be healthier overall. My sleep has been *bad* the last two weeks, which hasn't been helpful. We also had a fish and chips night on Saturday -- we are both still feeling the negative effect of that. So, that's clearing this week.

5. movement -- i've added in pilates to help me with my postural patterning work (which has been phenominal overall), as well as doing my yoga, and walking. I decided to wait on my volume body-weight training because it just feels a bit overwhelming at hte moment, but I am making sure to walk more, too. I get about 1.5 hrs a day of walking on average -- fast paced for at least 1 hr of walking, the other half hour is usually my son's pace.

I find that movement and sleep make the biggest difference for me. If i'm eating clean, but i'm not getting enough sleep/movement, then i start to "gain" (or body comp changes). If I am not eating clean, but exercising/sleeping -- same deal. When I have all three working well, then a little ice cream once a month or a piece of cake or something doesn't do me any harm at all!

So, i'm currently working on *sleep!*

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          You sound like someone with a lot of muscular mass or not carrying a lot of fat on the lower body (or anywhere for that matter). I am 5'6" and 1/2" (169 cm), and my body fat was 18% on the scale, ~ 22% from 3 measurements at the weight of 116-118 lbs, and people would estimate 25% from a picture. I am ~132 lbs now, and the scale measures me on 22%, and I am too vulnerable to take inches, but I would guess 25-30%. The bio-impedance goes through the thighs, and I have epic ones to impress even Cathelyn Stark....

To be honest, I would sell my soul to be 15%.

I am starting to think that my bf measurements were off.

Finding a new doc? Hard thing to do in Canada... when you can find one, you keep it! lol I will have to find a new doc this summer because we are moving back to the east coast. Hopefully I find a good one!

thanks again guys and girls for your help, I really need it right now!

So far I am staying off the meds... I feel less bloated without them, I think water retention played a big role.
          5'7'' 127 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie79 View Post
            Paleomom: I used both calipers and a scale that calculated bf. A relative is into bodybuilding and she told me that the calipers were more accurate. There was not much difference between the calipers and the scale. What do you use to calculate your bf%?
            I had it tested in a BodPod at 24%, at the same time period calipers were saying 13-15%. Looking in the mirror vs. other pictures of people at certain percentages I would say the BodPod was pretty accurate and the calipers were WAY off.

My point wasn't to get into what your BF% is, just to back up your feelings of wanting to get back down to where you were as not being unhealthy for someone of our height.

I was about 127 when I started primal several years ago. At first I dropped to 123 and then slowly have gained, my highest was 141. This has done wonders for my health, but I think that after my body recovered from being low fat for so long I started eating way too many calories in general, easy to do when I was focused on adding healthy fats into all my food (which i very much needed for awhile). I don't have the answer, I'm currently stuck around 134. I do know now though that I was eating just too much fat, and I don't think I was digesting food as well as I thought which led to leaky gut/candida = poor nutrient absorption = increased appetite to try and meet nutrient needs = fat gain. In just the last few weeks I have really improved these things and I'm hopeful that will lead to some fat loss, however at this point I have little success to report.
            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Breaking news !

My blood work came back. I also had a pelvic ultrasound to find out what is happening in my abdomen.

Good news: it is not PCOS, so no increased risk of Diabetes. (I was worried about that) My blood work is excellent acoording to the doctor.

Bad news: it is hydrosalpinx, which explains why my lower abdomen is so bloated. Pain has increased significantly in the last month and I am scheduled for surgery soon, maybe April. Surgery is the only treatment. Right now I feel like I wear a fanny pack with a brick in it. Can't wear jeans anymore.

I did start my journal and I realized that I eat almost always the same things and I like it like that. I have been slacking in the last 10 days but it is not becaise I dropped the ball! lol!

My journal:

Comment

Glad you found the issue. Sorry that you have to have surgery!
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I just re-read the whole thread... A lot had happened in the last 2 years. I never stopped eating primal! Here is what happened to me though:

I kept having "flares" where my abdomen would bloat a lot (pregnant size) and I started to have a lot of pain. I was put on pain killers (Naproxen 4 times a day and tramadol) and anti spasmodics (buscopan). These flares lastes about 2 to 3 weeks then I returned to my normal weight and look...

I moved out, found a new dr who referred me to a ob-gyn who thought menopause would help me. It did!

So here I am, 1 year post op. 35 and menopausal, weight has been stable (127 to 130) for 18 months (no bloat and abdominal pain anymore). But hey, menopause....

Seems like diet was never a problem and like I said, I always stuck to the primal lifestyle.

My meds are now: estrace (for hot flashes and bone protection), restoralax (bowels don't work anymore since I was on tramadol)

It's great to be on just 2 meds... Constipation is no fun but that is for another thread. I *might* also be dealing with interstitial cystitis but that is also another thread.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I appreciated that you took the time to reply to help me find out what was wrong.

My journal:

Comment

Working...
                  X