Post-surgery swelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-surgery swelling

I had ACL reconstruction surgery 11 days ago. I'm doing very well - I'm diligent with my PT - but my leg is very swollen, especially in the calf and ankle/foot. My doc says it's normal, which is a relief, but it's still very uncomfortable. I was wondering if eating or avoiding certain foods would have an impact on post-op swelling. The answer might be no, but I figured that it couuldn't hurt to ask. I've been good at avoiding wheat, but rice is in my diet as a once in a while thing. The only thing I've been terrible about is ice cream - after my final round of PT for the day, I've been having Haagen Daz ice cream (vanilla and choc-choc chip). I know that dairy can be inflaming, but could it be affecting the post-op swelling? (Fingers crossed for "No, have your ice cream and once you're walking again, rein it in.")

Thanks in advance!
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

You could try taking Dandelion capsules. I've seen them help people with swelling.

Amazon.com: Nature's Way Dandelion Root , 525 mg, 100 Capsules: Health & Personal Care
    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks! I'll check that out.

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

Grains cause inflammation. Rice is grains. Ice cream is not only dairy, which is better avoided, ice cream is full of sugar!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaHorse View Post
          Grains cause inflammation. Rice is grains. Ice cream is not only dairy, which is better avoided, ice cream is full of sugar!
          I know - I didn't know whether these things also aggravated swelling that's not related to food.

Comment

Yeah, the inflammation and swelling is actually an integral part to the healing process. Only time is gonna help sorry to say. Good luck with your rehab!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Yeah, the inflammation and swelling is actually an integral part to the healing process. Only time is gonna help sorry to say. Good luck with your rehab!
              Thanks - I had a feeling that even if I were 100% paleo, I would still have a very swollen leg. Even so, once I'm off crutches, I will rein in the ice cream. (Which could be as soon as tomorrow! Fingers crossed.)

Comment

There is a plant called Arnica that is available as capsules and also as a tea. This was recommended to me by a surgeon for post op swelling (by that I mean it is not some obscure herb some website is peddling). It actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  There is a plant called Arnica that is available as capsules and also as a tea. This was recommended to me by a surgeon for post op swelling (by that I mean it is not some obscure herb some website is peddling). It actually works.
                  You are a goddess. Thank you for sharing this!

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                    You are a goddess. Thank you for sharing this!
                    Not a goddess, just someone who has had more than their fair share of being "under the knife".

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

As was mentioned already, inflammation is actually critical to healing. There's a reason most doctors will tell you to stay away from anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen post-surgery.

The inflammation sends information to your brain that there is a problem that needs to be taken care of. Just keep doing what your PT advises and ice often!

Comment

i won't recommend putting away the ice cream, but i do recommend making good ice cream choices. a lot of them are packed with corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and tons of other crap that probably aren't helpful to surgery recovery.

but, there are a few brands that keep the ingredients low for those primal folk who can't say no to a primal treat:
                        hagen daas 5 is an obvious choice
                        blue bunny is pretty good
                        check out SO Delicious coconut milk ice cream. it's divine.
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Thanks, everyone. And primalrob - it's only Haagen Daz for me. I don't have 5, but I do have vanilla or vanilla bean, and choc-choc chip, both of which aren't horrific (never mind the massive sugar). And when I'm done with the current stash, I'll rein it in - it's been a lovely post-op treat, but it's just about 2 weeks after the surgery. Safe to say it's time to get back to apples and almond butter as my nighttime treat.

Comment

Working...
                          X