Why are nightshades bad for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are nightshades bad for you?

Someone please reply This question is driving me nuts.. I'm going out to buy the book today, but I just read on the site that peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant is bad on the primal lifestyle.... I just need to know why right now!! I eat these things literally on a daily basis!! What about blueberries??
    Last edited by nivia; 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM.

If you're not allergic to them, they're fine. Nightshades contain alkaloids that impair digestive function in those who are allergic or sensitive to them.

Tomato skin is high in pectin, and contains a lot of unavoidable seeds, so they should be discarded anyway.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Some people are sensitive to them due to allergies and in large quantities, they can cause a bit of digestive stress and inflammation I've read.

But if you're not a) allergic, or b) eating the concentrated nightshade diet then I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, in reasonable amounts,they're actually GOOD for you.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Also, nightshades are implicated in inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, and also some skin conditions. If you have no special challenges and/or haven't noticed any sensitivities to them, eat happily away.

And - just because you are new here, I do need to caution you to read the book and stick to the book, regardless of what anyone else here writes. Some of the folks on the MDA really do have serious complicating medical conditions, but the rest are mostly just putzing around with the Primal for whatever reason. After a while you will know your own body well enough to tweak your foods into a form optimal for you, but until then - as always - stick to the book. Welcome here!

And blueberries are my one of my favorite fruits. Especially the wild ones. Yum!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
        X