Healthy Fats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Fats

So yesterday i was listening to the Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness podcast with Sarah Fragoso and Jason Seib and a lady asked why she wasnt making regular bowel movements and she described what she was eating. So they said she wasnt ingesting enough fats, and i feel i havnt either. The question is what are a list of healthy fats i can eat.

Food log from yesterday

breakfast
    3 scrambled eggs with spinach, with a little bit of cheddar cheese, and 5 pieces of bacon

Post work out
    sweet potato and a banana

lunch
    2 turkey burgers with lettuce, mozzarella cheese, and a hand full of cashews.

dinner
    4 pieces of baked chicken tendors and salad.

snack
    cocoa smoothie

can of coconut milk
    4 tbls of cococa
    hand full of ice
    and a drizzle of maple syrup

What could i have added to this day.

Are you cooking in coconut oil?
    Yes, the real Dirk.

Comment

Originally posted by dirk41 View Post
      Yep this or ghee. Or butter if you can handle dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by dirk41 View Post
        i use it on my skin lol, but usually just use the bacon fat for cooking the eggs, and i use the forman grill for burgers, and i coated the pan for the chicken tenders with coconut oil.

Comment

Have you used a tracker of any kind just to see where your macros are?
          You might be surprised, and could just be really low on the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
            Yep this or ghee. Or butter if you can handle dairy.
            Hmm never heard of ghee, and i can handle the dairy...kerrygolds right???

Comment

it seems to be the butter people around here use. I can't get that, but use a NZ butter (as far as I am aware all NZ dairy cows are purely grass fed) Hope I got that right!

Comment

Ghee is just butter with the milk solids removed. You can do this yourself. Google for instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                  Have you used a tracker of any kind just to see where your macros are?
                  You might be surprised, and could just be really low on the fat.
                  no i havent where can i find one?

Comment

FitDay is one
                    Yes, the real Dirk.

Comment

Basically, eat saturated fats and monounsaturated fats as your main dietary fats. Consume small amounts of omega-3s for heart and brain health, and you do need omega-6 fats, but you're getting enough without worrying about adding sources into your diet.

You might want to read this if you haven't yet done so: The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple

Good fats to use for cooking are: Coconut oil, ghee, tallow, lard, and butter.

Good fats to add to salad dressings and uncooked sauces, or on top of already cooked dishes for a splash of flavor are: Olive oil and avocado oil.

Avocado is a great veggie to add for a heathy shot of fats from the monounsaturated family. Add to salads sliced and raw.

You can buy cans of full fat coconut milk and use as a base for meat marinades or as dairy replacements for a great shot of saturated fats that tastes awesome.

But above all, the majority of your fats should be coming from fatty cuts of animal muscle and their organ meats.
                      Last edited by Drumroll; 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Fat probably has nothing to do with it. Sure you can use fat as a laxative but having a healthy digestion has a lot more to do with a good metabolism and gut health.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          Fat probably has nothing to do with it. Sure you can use fat as a laxative but having a healthy digestion has a lot more to do with a good metabolism and gut health.
                          Uh what?
                          Eating 70% fat has not had a laxative affect on me. My digestion has been perfect since I upped my fat.

Comment

Awesome for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              It's about gut health, totally. But fats play an important role in gut health. A diet high in healthy fat sources can promote both a healthy metabolism and gut flora.

Some regular consumption of fermented foods in the diet might also be in order here to help things along.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X