Is there anything to juicing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything to juicing?

Serious question. I've always kind of rolled my eyes at juicing because, hey, just eat some veggies. But this morning I was talked into hitting the local juice bar after xfit, and I had a celery/kale/parsley/wheatgrass concoction that didn't exactly taste good, but made me feel euphoric, sort of like an MDMA high (to a lesser extent, obvi). And I feel like my energy all day has been through the roof. So now I'm wondering if there are clear benefits to juicing that I've been overlooking.

I'm speaking strictly of veggie juicing, btw. No fruit. That's two-hour nap just waiting to happen.

Does anyone here juice regularly? There are about a billion cheap used juicers hanging out on Craigslist, should I go pick one up?

Yes, and good luck fitting the amount of veg you can juice into your diet cooked or raw. Plus the variety and amount of vegetables you can put in a juicer will cover a larger and wider range of micro nutrients and minerals you would probably not get otherwise.

Comment

Grok would not have juiced things, but if you like it, go for it.

Comment

I don't juice, but I sometimes make veggie smoothies in the morning using a heap of kale, some celery, wheat & barley grass, some powdered green tea and whatever else takes my fancy e.g carrot, an apple, frozen blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut milk or avocado to make it a thick shake.

Sometimes tastes great, sometimes like crap

I aim to get most of my nutrients from what I eat, but if you're not getting a lot of veggies I reckon juicing/veggie smoothies are ok to 'supplement' your diet.
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
          Yes, and good luck fitting the amount of veg you can juice into your diet cooked or raw. Plus the variety and amount of vegetables you can put in a juicer will cover a larger and wider range of micro nutrients and minerals you would probably not get otherwise.
          If you buy that whole schtick

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
            This, and you could go here:

Juicing for Weight Loss with Joe Cross | Reboot With Joe

and watch the movie and go on their message boards to see all the cool juices everyone is/are drinking.

Totally have done it, still do it, and I can tell you that there are some concoctions that make me feel
            like I snorted a fresh delicious line of cocaine (don'taskmehowIknow). TOTALLY CRAZY!

Juicing is great when you want all the nutrients without the pesky fiber. Fiber is great, but I don't want to have
            to CHEW my juices - I save that for smoothies.

And, for whomever is going to write about waaaaaasting the fiber, go ahead and save it from your
            juicer and and it to soups or casseroles if you want.

I add mine to the dirt around my tomatoes. . . I'll get my fiber when I eat the veggies themselves.

As far as Grok not having a juicer, f-ing eyeroll already.

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
              As far as Grok not having a juicer, f-ing eyeroll already.
              Julie
              Ha ha ha
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I just watched a documentary last night on netflix called the Gerson Miracle, and it was all about gerson therapy, a type of alternative health route to cure cancer. Some of the concepts seemed flaky to me, but most was pretty sound. Essentially, you get the nutrients of 20lbs of veg a day in 13 glasses of juice. The idea is that you can jump start your body's healing machinisms by giving it a surplus of nutrients, and in turn your body will kill the cancer. Pretty interesting stuff, it certainly makes me consider juicing every once in a while.

Comment

+1 on Craig's List for juicers. I live in a college town and got a barely used one for $20.00. I use it nearly every morning. No way I would get bock choy, mustard greens, kale, carrots, cranberries, kiwi and an orange in the same day without a juicer. Drink some an hour before running in the morning and I am good to go. It's a daily dose of awesomeness!

Comment

It's a daily dose of awesomeness!

Comment

I have always been anti-juicing because of the caloric load -- a lot of people drink fruit smoothies/juice with a little veg, rather than veg juices, and I found that eating raw veg as-is (or even steamed veg) is filling and satisfying and I can consume a fair bit.

BUT.

My husband's naturopath said that we must start juicing. She gave specific recipes for us to use. We are allowed to put a green apple in for some sweet (or carrot or beet), but we asked if we can use manuka honey (medicinal), and she said 'even better.'

It is essentially all greens (veg and herbs) plus lemon plus honey. The veg and herbs are picked for their nutrient profiles, to help with certain things with DH's gut, but also "anti-aging" stuff. If i had the print-out with me, I'd quote it, but I don't have it.

We just got the juicer yesterday (got a $200 juicer for $50 -- it's never been used!). Prior to this, we'd been going to our friend's place in the morning to juice (funny, i know, but they only live two blocks down! LOL). So, now we'll be able to juice at home.

DS loves juice, so he's really excited to have his favorite: green juice! (green is his favorite color).

Comment

I've actually been thinking about this to re-start me on eating right. My eating has been a mess. I totally get needing to basically overdose on nutrients to get your body to a healthy place, but once you are topped up, if you eat right, is it still necessary?
                        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

I've juiced in the past. Its a real pain in the back side. I feel better by eating raw egg yolks and liver than I ever did from juicing.

Comment

Hmmm, lots of mixed opinions. I think maybe I'll pick up a cheapo juicer and try it for a couple weeks, and if it doesn't stick, I can just sell it again.

Also factoring into this is the fact that my medium juice this morning cost $8.15, not including tip. Insanity. If I used the juicer three times, it would pay for itself.

Comment

I have a Jack LaLanne juicer and love it. I only use it in the summer when I have tons of fresh veggies in the garden. One time, I juiced a whole bunch of beets, I was high as a kite for hours! I would have loved to give a urinalysis sample at work the next day, too...

Beets are pretty wild: "Beet juice contains a high level of nitrates, which are believed to have a variety of cardiovascular benefits such as inhibiting platelet aggregation, preventing ischemia-induced endothelial dysfunction, and decreasing blood pressure. A study published last year conducted by researchers at Barts and the London School of Medicine found that drinking 500 ml (a little over 2 cups) of beet juice a day can significantly decrease blood pressure. The research found that the benefit came from the ingestion of dietary nitrates that are contained in the beet. Now new British study has found that beet juice can help individuals exercise sixteen percent longer by increasing stamina. This can be a potentially wonderful benefit if your exercise of choice is endurance in nature."

Nutrition 101: Is Beet Juice the Next Super Food?

Comment

Working...
                              X