No announcement yet.

Are raw veggies bad for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was likely the amount of fiber and volume -- as kot and owly said.

I don't consider anti-nutrients and PUFAs a big problem.

And i drink the green drink as easily as I eat a salad made out of those things -- though I usually sautee kale. I'll eat cabbage raw, though, and all the other veg I drink, so. . . no bigs.

Comment

It kinda makes me sad that anyone would even have to ask this question... are raw veggies bad for you?

Comment

Not sure if she covers cooked vs raw, but may be of interest:

At the 2nd Annual Ancestral Health Symposium 2012 (AHS12), Georgia Ede, M.D. gave her presentation titled "Little Shop of Horrors? The Risks and Benefits of Eating Plants". Bio: Georgia Ede, M.D., is the only psychiatrist at Harvard University offering nutrition consults to patients seeking an alternative to medications. She successfully applies modified Paleolithic dietary principles not only to the treatment of mood disorders, but also to “Mystery Syndromes”, such as Fibromyalgia, IBS, and Chronic Fatigue. Abstract: Plant-based diets are often touted as healthy, and yet many plants contain clever protective chemicals, carefully crafted by evolutionary forces over millennia, to serve the needs of the plant, rather than to nourish the human body. Many of these compounds are potentially toxic to animal cells, and include naturally-occurring pesticides, mineral chelators, and antibiotics. Understanding what is lurking inside the vegetables we eat can be…
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
          Not sure if she covers cooked vs raw, but may be of interest:

At the 2nd Annual Ancestral Health Symposium 2012 (AHS12), Georgia Ede, M.D. gave her presentation titled "Little Shop of Horrors? The Risks and Benefits of Eating Plants". Bio: Georgia Ede, M.D., is the only psychiatrist at Harvard University offering nutrition consults to patients seeking an alternative to medications. She successfully applies modified Paleolithic dietary principles not only to the treatment of mood disorders, but also to “Mystery Syndromes”, such as Fibromyalgia, IBS, and Chronic Fatigue. Abstract: Plant-based diets are often touted as healthy, and yet many plants contain clever protective chemicals, carefully crafted by evolutionary forces over millennia, to serve the needs of the plant, rather than to nourish the human body. Many of these compounds are potentially toxic to animal cells, and include naturally-occurring pesticides, mineral chelators, and antibiotics. Understanding what is lurking inside the vegetables we eat can be…
          She makes some good points. I treat veggies like exercise....a little bits probably good, but you can overdo it. I also try to eat mine lacto-fermented.

Comment

The enzymes your body uses to break down vegetables are in your saliva.

By blending the veggies you're removing the need to chew. But this means you aren't introducing enough saliva into the mix, thus not breaking down the food adequately, and thus leading to digestive problems.

Comment

Working...
            X