Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad slip-up :( But I think the diet soda rumors might be true...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Just a PSA.... I love soda. Never diet, but real coke, sprite etc. I discovered Kombucha. Have not wanted a soda since. I drink it a few times a week (it is expensive) and LOVE it after a hard workout- same time I used to crave a coke. For me, kombucha hits that exact craving without the sugar roller coaster.
    Kombucha is super cheap if you make it yourself . It never even occurred to me to buy it, but then again I'm not even sure you CAN buy it here! Oh, and it's very quick and easy too . I also find it's a great drink that substitutes for something fizzy... it even substitutes for wine (if I put it in a wine glass lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Althaur View Post
      Doesn't increase my cravings either. I use splenda in my coffee every morning. I don't much diet soda while I'm deployed, mainly because it doesn't tase "right" here.

Besides, what else besides diet pepsi am I going to mix with my rum???
      It's different there--you're probably talking about Coke Light? Cyclamates aren't banned in some countries, my husband mentioned the weird taste when he was in Iraq/Afg and I looked it up. Sodium cyclamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
        Kombucha is super cheap if you make it yourself . It never even occurred to me to buy it, but then again I'm not even sure you CAN buy it here! Oh, and it's very quick and easy too . I also find it's a great drink that substitutes for something fizzy... it even substitutes for wine (if I put it in a wine glass lol).
        you can in some health food shops or online. mojo is the brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Althaur View Post
          Besides, what else besides diet pepsi am I going to mix with my rum???
          Real men drink tequila straight up. None of this frou frou stuff. Rum and Coke is for getting girls drunk in high school. Sheesh!

Comment

I have no problems whatsoever with diet sodas, so long as they're caffeine free. I noticed you said "Diet Coke", which would be a no-no for me as it is caffeinated.

But otherwise - no problem with diet sodas - can chug a 2 litre container with a dinner-only fasting day and not experience anything negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Real men drink tequila straight up. None of this frou frou stuff. Rum and Coke is for getting girls drunk in high school. Sheesh!
              I try to be a responsible "adult" now. My days of downing massive quantities of tequila are well behind me. I do have a bottle in the pantry at home though.
              My Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74692.html

Comment

Some science to back up the people who experience "lack of satiety" (still being hungry) after having artificial sweeteners:

Experience with the high-intensity sweetener... [Behav Brain Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI (GLP-1 is a hormone that increases insulin secretion & increases satiety)

"► Rats given dietary supplements sweetened with saccharin gained extra body weight. ► Saccharin-exposed animals were hyperglycemic during oral glucose tolerance tests. ► Hyperglycemia in saccharin-exposed animals was not due to changes in insulin release. ► Reduced release of GLP-1 was observed in saccharin-exposed animals. ► Decreased release of GLP-1 may explain both hyperglycemia and increased food intake.

rats given dietary supplements with the high-intensity sweetener saccharin, which provides a strong sweet taste, but does not deliver calories, exhibit poorer caloric compensation for novel sweet-tasting pre-meals in short-term intake tests [1] and [2]. Further, over the long-term, consumption of a saccharin-sweetened yogurt supplements resulted in increased energy intake, increased body weight gain and increased adiposity relative to consumption of the same supplements sweetened with glucose"

Interesting paper. GLP-1 induces insulin secretion, but it also increases satiety (makes you feel full). The artificial sweetener conditions you to not produce as much GLP-1 as much if you had real sugar (weakens the normal response to sweet taste), which is why you would continue to feel hungry (while the real sugar induces GLP-1 properly and makes you feel full).

"The results... suggest that a primary deficit resulting from exposure to saccharin-sweetened diets may be a decreased secretion of GLP-1 in response to sweet tastes in the mouth...secretion of GLP-1 was significantly lower, and blood glucose levels were significantly higher, in animals previously exposed to saccharin [which then consumed] glucose. Based on principles of associative learning, experience with consuming a sweet taste that is not followed by the anticipated energetic consequence [actually intaking calories at the same time] could cause the sweet taste to become less effective at eliciting release of GLP-1 over time. Release of GLP-1 by sweet taste in the mouth would then become blunted even when caloric sweeteners are subsequently consumed. This diminished ability of sweet taste to release GLP-1 could underlie increased food intake, as both peripheral and central actions of GLP-1 during meals have been directly implicated in satiety.

A reduction in the release of GLP-1 could also lead to increased
                blood glucose levels by a variety of mechanisms. For example, GLP-
                1 can contribute to glucose homeostasis independent of effects
                on insulin release, by enhancing glucose metabolism in skeletal
                muscle, liver and adipose tissue, regulating of glucose transporter
                expression, suppressing of glucagon release and slowing of gastric
                emptying (e.g. [23,38–58]). Thus, for example, diminished release
                GLP-1 in response to a sweet-tasting food or glucose solution could
                promote more rapid gastric emptying which would then lead to
                more rapid delivery of glucose to the intestines, and more rapid
                elevations of blood glucose levels (e.g. [23,38–58]). Increased gastric
                emptying would also lead to diminished gastric distension,
                reducing another potential source of satiety signals that could
                contribute to increased food intake. Further, decreased glucose
                utilization in muscle, liver or adipose tissue related to decreased
                levels of GLP-1 would lead to higher blood glucose levels (e.g.
                [23,38,39,41,50,51,53]). Lower GLP-1 release could also result in
                increased blood glucose levels due to diminished suppression of
                glucagon release (e.g. [40,42,45,59]).

These data are consistent with the hypothesis that dysregulation
                of energy balance and glucose homeostasis can occur following
                exposure to high-intensity sweeteners.

Such results are consistent with the
                hypothesis that rather than preventing or reversing overweight
                and obesity, consumption of foods or beverages manufactured
                with high-intensity sweeteners may contribute to dysregulation
                of body weight by altering cephalic phase responses. This could
                occur because high-intensity sweeteners interfere with conditioned
                cephalic phase responses, because glucose-sweetened foods
                enhance conditioned cephalic phase responses, or both. In any of
                those cases, consuming diets prepared with high-intensity sweeteners
                results in augmented food intake, body weight gain, altered
                glucose homeostasis and diminished release of GLP-1 compared to
                the same diets prepared with glucose."

We think we can outsmart nature, but it could be that humans have really screwed themselves over with all these "diet" products and fake sweeteners... In short, we are messing ourselves up quite good with all our unnatural foods.

anyway sorry for wall of text
                Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Working...
                X