Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal eating & Living a busy life

Hi guys,

What would be your top tip (or tips) for maintaining a healthy primal diet whilst on the go or pushed for time pretty much everyday? How do you go about it? What little tips allows you to keep it up?
    One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Hard boiled eggs!
    Knowing where to find a quick primal (or close enough) meal out - most places will do a salad with some meat, and you can always pay a little extra for a little more meat if you need it.
    Making as much food on weekends and enjoying the leftovers throughout the week.
    Don't go hungry - pack more food than you think you need - nuts, cheese, good jerky, eggs, etc. - it may go uneaten but then you have some food for the next day. Hunger is a recipe for trouble - avoid!
    My True Primal Story

Comment

I keep tins of canned sardines, oysters, clams in my desk at work as well as foil pouches of seasoned salmon & tuna.
      Add some hot sauce, or even a couple of romaine lettuce leaves, and you've got a great snack and no hunger pangs.
      I also like cocoa nibs and coconut manna for a sweet treat

Comment

I too keep some canned mackerel around and usually have some almonds on hand. But last night, when I unexpectedly went right from work to someone's house to watch football, I had to find some primal food nearby. Usually Chipotle works and I'm lucky enough to have an Epic Burger close.
        Also, I've had luck with making a giant (9x13) quiche on the weekend and dividing it up into squares and freezing it for emergency meals. I used the recipe from Pratical Paleo and it holds up really well.

Comment

Get a Crock Pot. In the morning toss hunk of meat plus veggies in with a splash of wine and/or broth, put the cover on and set on low. When you get home from work, dinner is all ready and everyone will think you are a culinary genius.

Comment

I second the crock pot, and I also try to roast up some chicken drumsticks, mini fritatta muffins, hard boil eggs, chop celery, etc. on Sundays to have around for quick breakfasts/lunches/snacks through the week.

Comment

My wife made a big pot of beef stew last night, it'll last us for dinners or lunch for the next 4 days. Or we can freeze some for later. Last week was chicken soup...

Comment

Canned fish, avocados, cans of coconut milk, hard boiled eggs. I always have this in the kitchen. Very portable. You can make a quick salad with the avocados, eggs, some black pepper, some mayo. Delish.

There is a place in my area that sells organic chicken (rotisserie). Sometimes we buy half a chicken and make several things out of them for a few days.

Comment

Batch cooking is a real lifesaver. I try to make enough so I can freeze some for dinners on nights when we don't have time to cook. The slow cooker is another magic time saver, as Paleobird said--it's even better when you can combine batch cooking and the slow cooker and make a big pot of chili, curry, or stew. You can eat some right away and put the rest in the fridge.

I also do like a lot of other folks here have mentioned and make sure I have good, portable, fast primal things on hand. Another strategy is to know what places you can go out to eat or get takeout where the food is primal friendly.

I have a few quick and lazy meals I throw together too. I mash a can of tuna with an avocado, lemon juice, and hot sauce. I scramble eggs and eat them with sliced avocado and salsa. I make omelettes fairly often. Sometimes we also have breakfast for dinner (bacon and eggs), which is pretty quick and easy.

For lunches, I try to make enough at dinner the night before to ensure that I have a couple of extra portions for the next day. Any time I can get two or more meals out of one time cooking is great.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I work 12 hr shifts on Fri, Sat, Sun, and 8 hrs on Mon, so on Thursday, I cook. I get breakfast at work on Friday, so for bkfst the rest of the days I cook:A fritata, at least a lb of bacon, maybe some scrambled eggs with hot sauce, maybe some sausages. For lunch I make all the fixins for a BAS: Mark's ranch dressing, chicken, bacon, shrimp, avocado, and several bags of greens. For supper, I either have my hubby cook when I get home in the evening, or I cook several pork chops with mushrooms and onions in a cream wine sauce or a crockpot corned beef with potatoes and fried cabbage that I made specifically for supper. I also bring snacks like walnuts roasted in hot sauce and butter, smoked cheese, hard boiled eggs, and beef jerky. I takes about 2-3 hours (except for the crockpot), and it feeds me for several days. My comorkers make fun of all the food I bring in, but they areat the same time impressed.
                    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

I eat one meal a day in the evening, so it's not really an issue for me. IF has made living primal quite a bit easier.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

As others have said, cooking in large quantities is immensely helpful for being prepared later on. Getting a big slow cooker will allow you to cook a lot of food at once. Some good tuperware or pyrex containers to take with you on the go and you should be prepared.

I wrote this post about paleo leftovers yesterday.

Comment

I also like cocoa nibs and coconut manna for a sweet treat

Comment

Cheers guys. I MUST get a crock pot. Sounds like a worthy investment. Love the idea of putting meat, veg, broth, etc in there and coming home to a slow cooked meal. Yummy and time saving!
                            One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

Rethink your life. Being overly busy is not primal
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X