Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the heck do I get my Omega ratio down to 1:1 if the diet is so high in fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the heck do I get my Omega ratio down to 1:1 if the diet is so high in fat?

I was just calculating my omega ratio and I found that because I eat 3 eggs and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil a day my omega 6 is always pushing 9,000mg... that means I would have to take 4 servings of fish oil at 2400mg just to get ahead and that isn't including all the omega 6 we get from the rest of the diet (I'd be pushing 14,000 omg6). I need some help understanding these principals. I have read all of the posts on how important it is to get to 1:1 and how fish oil is a good supplement but, Mark says nothing about a high fat diet being almost inevitably high in omega 6. I mean, it is 10X better than a processed, carb high, veg oil diet but still, high fat = high omega 6, right? How do I get to 1:1 without overdoing on supplements? Am I thinking to much? Or did I miss something?
    Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

Switch away fom olive oil and nut oil. I use coconut oil and avocado oil.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Wow thanks Tara, coconut oil would make a big difference. Is it good to cook with?... I still find myself having a hard time getting 2000 cal (not that I am shooting for 2000, it just seems my body likes it when I get 2000) without getting high levels of omega 6... should I just take 3 doses of fish oil and keep searching for low omega 6 foods...
      Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

Comment

Yes, coconut oil is good to cook with. Also, if you get animal fat from pastured sources, it's not going to have a bad n-6/n-3 ratio. That's the stuff we're supposed to be getting fat from.
        Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I get grassfed beef. I would buy Omega 3 eggs if I ate the yolks. I get raw cream, from pastured cows. No no no prepared/packaged/not in its natural form foods. Stay away from nuts/ nut oils (seriously). Avocado oil is great to cook with and has a GREAT ratio! Coconut oil is good to, and its yummy nummy. I do all that and I still take 1.2 g O3 a day.
          Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Good advice so far. If you switched to pastured eggs (the kind i get is .5g of omega 3 and .7 omega 6), and replaced two tbs of olive oil with 2 of coconut oil that would be huge in itself.

I also like chia seeds. While the actual conversion of ALA to HUFAs is negligible, it will help stabilize the ratio by preventing ingested LA from becoming AA. So will GLA.
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I love this site, ask and you shall receive. Thanks gang, pastured eggs, coconut oil and avocado oil just made my next grocery list. I think I can get to a 1:1 ratio now without a handful of fish oil pills, awesome... I wish I could still eat almonds. have you seen the omega 6 content in them! yikes. That was my vitamin E source, oh well

Comment

DD have you seen the omega 6 content of effing walnuts?! YIKES!!!

Comment

Haha Tara, I know its crazy... and I really liked the idea of nuts being a part of my diet. You can get a few hundred calories form just an ounce of nuts. That way I dont have to eat a whole big meal. But, I cant do it if it has that kind of omega 6. I hear macadamias are relativity balanced, I can give them a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Dave View Post
                    Haha Tara, I know its crazy... and I really liked the idea of nuts being a part of my diet. You can get a few hundred calories form just an ounce of nuts. That way I dont have to eat a whole big meal. But, I cant do it if it has that kind of omega 6. I hear macadamias are relativity balanced, I can give them a shot.
                    I have a love/hate relationship with nuts. In the end, I gave them up entirely. I can't have a little, I must have the whole pound bag. Nuts are a trigger to other bad foods. So I just gave up on them and really don't miss them now that I haven't have any sort of nuts for several months.
                    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Comment

Eat oily fish - I have salmon every day
                      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

There's no reason you need to have a 1:1 ration of 6 to 3. If you're eating primally and being conscious of your 6 intake you'll most likely be fine -- this isn't something to really stress about (if you're following primal guidelines).

If you want to talk semantics, anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 or even 4:1 is probably okay for you. Americans average 10:1 so if you cut that in half I proclaim success.

Comment

Originally posted by Docter View Post
                          There's no reason you need to have a 1:1 ration of 6 to 3. If you're eating primally and being conscious of your 6 intake you'll most likely be fine -- this isn't something to really stress about (if you're following primal guidelines).

If you want to talk semantics, anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 or even 4:1 is probably okay for you. Americans average 10:1 so if you cut that in half I proclaim success.
                          Ya, I'm not going to sit and obsess about my omega ratios. I don't really even know how you figure it out and I am fine with just eating primally and not worrying too much about it. I could definitely include more fish in my diet, though!

Comment

Fish.
                            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Dave View Post
                              I was just calculating my omega ratio and I found that because I eat 3 eggs and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil a day my omega 6 is always pushing 9,000mg... that means I would have to take 4 servings of fish oil at 2400mg just to get ahead and that isn't including all the omega 6 we get from the rest of the diet (I'd be pushing 14,000 omg6). I need some help understanding these principals. I have read all of the posts on how important it is to get to 1:1 and how fish oil is a good supplement but, Mark says nothing about a high fat diet being almost inevitably high in omega 6. I mean, it is 10X better than a processed, carb high, veg oil diet but still, high fat = high omega 6, right? How do I get to 1:1 without overdoing on supplements? Am I thinking to much? Or did I miss something?
                              PaNu suggests we prefer SFA and MUFAs , then minimize overall PUFAs with a ratio appropriate to the EM2. A ratio of N-6:N-3 close to 2:1 is desirable, which suggests complete avoidance of mechanically extracted vegetable oils high in N-6, and if necessary, compensatory supplementation with N-3s via fish or fish oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X