Fruit not reintroducing well.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit not reintroducing well.

So about three weeks ago I reduced fat intake a little, and protein a little, and reintroduced fruit. At first it was horrid - pain, bloating, clay poop. But it's gotten a little better. I'm back to regular programming at the porcelain (about every other day), but I have not gotten rid of the bloat. It's probably around ten pounds now, I think mostly water since my BF% has stayed almost the same while my hydration number has been rising. Has anyone made this journey? Will the bloat pass when my gut biome catches up or is this a permanent sort of intolerance?

I've been eating one or two bananas a day, one or two apples, and at least one orange, sometimes three because they're small and I crave them like nothing else. Like, right now, I'm getting up and getting an orange. My eating patterns are completely smashed to bits because I keep just wanting one more piece of fruit. And of course I keep getting hungry, which is new.

WTF, fruit bats?

Also, all my apsie traits are becoming harder to control. I can't stop drumming on counter tops, etc. Feels like I'm connecting less with people, too. I'm plausibly done with fruit for awhile unless I get some really good explanations or advice.

General diet these days:
    Different animal a day, less than a pound of meat. Some days no meat to mix things up. Bacon, fish, chicken, ground beef, duck eggs, etc. probably 750 to 1000 calories from protein and animal fat, give or take.
    Coconut milk, heated and ingested, no additives - 420 calories 1x day most days
    Avocados almost daily, apples, oranges, bananas daily.
    Canned olives at whim.
    Canned oysters probably about 2x a week
    Liver, heart, and such, bone broth on occasion (been letting my wife use it all for her GAPS effort).
    Spices and herbs, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, clove, etc.
    Quit coffee, drinking green tea now.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Start taking a probiotic pill with all your meals or start eating Greek yogurt at the expense of meat. It likely took many months or years to destroy your gut bacteria by avoiding soluble fiber and sugars, so it'll probably take just as long to rebuild.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I'd expect to be covered in boils if I ate that much of any dairy! The probiotic seems fine. It just seems odd to retune my body again, when it seemed to be running pretty well aside from my oddly aged appearance. Maybe I made the wrong call. Maybe I just needed more fat and a little less meat, and to maintain my apple-a-day and berries, etc. habit.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Your stomach and intestines probably has to get used to the fruit fibers again, so no big deal I suppose. I recommend to eat the fruits at night after your last meal, or as your last meal of the day before bedtime, to avoid cravings, that’s what I do anyway, and it works…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Well GAPS protocol, which is used with autism, adhd, aspergers...ect recommends simple sugars (think honey but not sugar which is a disaccharide ....fruits but not tators) as a mode of killing off the unwanted virulent bacteria of the gut that actually increase the symptoms of this condition. The kind that feed on left over not easily absorbed sugars. So you would stick to fruits and ditch any starchy items.

I bring this up since your pounding the bananas. Bananas in the early stages are very starchy and can be feeding the wrong sort of bacteria. Very ripe bananas are OK, but if I were you I would eliminate them completely.

In addition if its been a long while you may consider cooking your fruits a bit for a couple weeks to ease digestion.

I would actually expect your aspie traits to do the best on your previous diet, but whats optimal for one thing may not be what your looking for. Guess thats just a choice your gonna have to make though.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Well, leaving things as they are and just cutting the bananas seems like a very mild tweak that might also cut the bloat.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Well GAPS protocol, which is used with autism, adhd, aspergers...ect recommends simple sugars (think honey but not sugar which is a disaccharide ....fruits but not tators) as a mode of killing off the unwanted virulent bacteria of the gut that actually increase the symptoms of this condition. The kind that feed on left over not easily absorbed sugars. So you would stick to fruits and ditch any starchy items.

I bring this up since your pounding the bananas. Bananas in the early stages are very starchy and can be feeding the wrong sort of bacteria. Very ripe bananas are OK, but if I were you I would eliminate them completely.

In addition if its been a long while you may consider cooking your fruits a bit for a couple weeks to ease digestion.

I would actually expect your aspie traits to do the best on your previous diet, but whats optimal for one thing may not be what your looking for. Guess thats just a choice your gonna have to make though.
              Me too. What was broke about your old diet that needed fixing?

Comment

Based on the count in your post you are eating as much as 7 pieces of fruit a day. You don't need that much. I don't think you need to stop eating fruit entirely, but I'd cut back to just one piece a day.
                High Weight: 225
                Weight at start of Primal: 189
                Current Weight: 174
                Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Fruit always makes me bloat and always makes me crave. It seems that I don't tolerate any carb very well, at least especially right now (winter). I am working feverishly at getting to the bottom of why, but in the meantime, taking probiotics, eating fermented foods that I can tolerate (not dairy), taking good gut supp's like curcumin, etc. etc. etc.

I totally relate to gaining 10lb of water weight in 3 weeks from a seemingly benign food. I go back and forth between saying "screw the intolerances; I'm just going to eat what a healthy person should be able to eat and ignore the bloating & water retention" and saying "I'm SICK AND TIRED of the bloating and water retention and I'm just going to eat nothing but meat, fish, offal, & fat!"
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

i would get rid of the fruit if I were you!
                    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I'd expect to be covered in boils if I ate that much of any dairy! The probiotic seems fine. It just seems odd to retune my body again, when it seemed to be running pretty well aside from my oddly aged appearance. Maybe I made the wrong call. Maybe I just needed more fat and a little less meat, and to maintain my apple-a-day and berries, etc. habit.
                      Why? Dairy intolerance again is almost always a product of poor gut health. This is exactly why very low carbers tend to have every food sensitivity under the sun. Animal protein and fat are healthy - in appropriate quantities. We're not supposed to get 60% dietary calories from fat and 30% dietary calories from protein. We produce amylase in our saliva for a reason. We preferentially burn glucose over fatty acids for a reason. We evolved in areas where fruit and starch is plentiful and lean game meats are the norm. We didn't evolve in the arctic. when you ignore the most important macronutrient for your body - carbohydrate - your gut colonies literally die off and you run into all these intolerances because you can no longer digest food.

Step #1: Start taking a probiotic with all your meals.
                      Step #2: Start introducing small quantities of full fat fermented dairy - Greek yogurt or kefir ideally.
                      Step #3: Start introducing small amounts of cheeses.

Once you get past that part, your gut bacteria should be getting better. Supplement with soluble fiber - white potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Me too. What was broke about your old diet that needed fixing?
                        I was just looking haggard, even though I felt amazing for the most part (sleep issues!).

I'm torn between this whole "gut-healing" line of thought and the more common-sense "don't eat what hurts you" line of thought. What if fruit only bloats me because of a gut imbalance?! I do look younger now - probably just the bloat. Maybe I should just accept looking old and go back to what worked for the past three years.

I've always had a green apple a day (except for the random 0 carb week here and there), and some berries often. That's probably plenty, aside from free grapes at a party, etc. Lots to think about, and thanks for all your replies! More ideas welcome.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

We're keeping in mind that Choco is obsessed with carbs and thinks human evolution began in Africa, instead of culminating there.

I ate the diet he recommends for three years and it didn't solve my problems. FWIW. It's a great diet for healthy people, though. I was deluded during those years that I was a pretty healthy person, not realizing the extent of my issues.

Restoring health can be very, very complicated for those of us who haven't gotten a bit broken over the years. When you're a young healthy guy, it can seem there are simple solutions for everything, but for a lot of us, the truth is more like something like this: Maybe you were looking haggard b/c thyroid function is low, and many people are able to mask symptoms by having more carbs, but a better long-term solution is to fix the underlying problem, by something more than just carbs and/or thyroid meds (which may be necessary short- or long-term, but still don't *solve* the problem).

Or maybe something like your sex steroids being out of balance, and you need more nutrients to help with that, but can't currently tolerate certain forms and/or amounts of carbs, and need to find a balance between improving the nutrient issue while living with the effects of sometimes going over the amount/type of carb you can tolerate.

Or something entirely else. But it's very unlikely that your answer is going to be something as simple as "just increase/decrease X." That reality really bites, but it is usually true for most people with any kind of non-perfect health in this very health-broken modern age. What works to sustain great health is not often enough to regain it once lost. And bloating, looking haggard, strong cravings, etc., are all signs of a greater underlying problem that needs to be discovered and resolved.
                          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            I was just looking haggard, even though I felt amazing for the most part (sleep issues!).

I'm torn between this whole "gut-healing" line of thought and the more common-sense "don't eat what hurts you" line of thought. What if fruit only bloats me because of a gut imbalance?! I do look younger now - probably just the bloat. Maybe I should just accept looking old and go back to what worked for the past three years.

I've always had a green apple a day (except for the random 0 carb week here and there), and some berries often. That's probably plenty, aside from free grapes at a party, etc. Lots to think about, and thanks for all your replies! More ideas welcome.
                            You don't get enough sleep and you work the night shift and yet you look to your diet for the reason why you are looking "haggard"?

Hey, Occam, can I borrow your razor?

And, yes, bloat will make you look younger. It's why they do botox injections. The inflammation puffs up and flattens out the wrinkles.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              And, yes, bloat will make you look younger. It's why they do botox injections. The inflammation puffs up and flattens out the wrinkles.
                              Haha....very good point on the botox too.

Comment

Working...
                              X