Pine Bark Flours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
    When I yelp all the restaurants around me, I feel pretty confined.
    Then cook.

Comment

Sheesh, let's just agree to disagree and let people eat how it makes them feel best, shall we folks? Yet another thread has been derailed COMPLETELY off topic by the "to carb or not to carb" debate...

"The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

When I yelp all the restaurants around me, I feel pretty confined.
        So, maybe it is confining *for you* but it's not for me. I make dietary choices based on what I feel is the optimal way to fuel my body and on what I like. The longer I follow this way of eating, the more and more these two things become one and the same. I used to love eating pizza but now eating the cardboard box it comes in holds about as much appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I think your blanket generalization that "including all food groups is superior to excluding them" is just that, a blanket generalization based on CW or Choco worship
          Why don't you pick four or five foods that cover all of your needs and eat nothing but them for the rest of your life if more options aren't superior to a few?
          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Then cook.
            Cooking entails going/staying home. I try to do that as little as possible.

Comment

Cooking entails going/staying home. I try to do that as little as possible.
              Then perhaps this isn't the diet for you...
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                Then perhaps this isn't the diet for you...
                Get over yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                  Why don't you pick four or five foods that cover all of your needs and eat nothing but them for the rest of your life if more options aren't superior to a few?
                  Because I don't need to. I have an endless variety of animal products with the veggies I like for flavor and color along the way. You are the one making the assumption that because I don't eat sugar or starch and am not too fond of several veggies, I must have an extremely limited potential eating repertoire.

Having the option to eat something that is nutritionally inferior and I don't really like is not much of an option. Sure I'll keep it as an option if I were starving. Until then, I don't see why having more of the more nutritionally dense foods is a bad option.

Comment

Get over yourself.
                    You pretty much have to accept that with the rare exception, you will not find much in the way of decently primal offerings eating out all the time. I started out on this diet that way before I accepted that it just meant I was going to have to do more cooking for myself if I really wanted to see any impactful improvements in my health. It sounds harsh, but it's pretty much the truth.

And it's cheaper in the long run too.

Comment

You pretty much have to accept that with the rare exception, you will not find much in the way of decently primal offerings eating out all the time. I started out on this diet that way before I accepted that it just meant I was going to have to do more cooking for myself if I really wanted to see any impactful improvements in my health. It sounds harsh, but it's pretty much the truth.

And it's cheaper in the long run too.
                      Not only that, you can throw Primal dinner parties and blow your friends away with how tasty this horrible restrictive diet can be.

Comment

You pretty much have to accept that with the rare exception, you will not find much in the way of decently primal offerings eating out all the time.
                        Which brings us back to the point of being confined. Don't it?

I'm sorry if you and Paleobird don't like the sound of that word. But a diet, any diet, is necessarily confining. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Because I don't need to. I have an endless variety of animal products with the veggies I like for flavor and color along the way. You are the one making the assumption that because I don't eat sugar or starch and am not too fond of several veggies, I must have an extremely limited potential eating repertoire.
                          You don't need to because it's not necessary or ideal and you like variety just like most others do. Your palate and medical needs are an exception, definitely not the norm. You found a medicinal purpose for your particular exclusion diet, a hack more or less, which is actually really cool. It doesn't change the fact that there are plant groups that are a wonderful and abundant source of nutrients and microbes and energy for the majority of people. We are omnivores for a reason. A wide variety of plants and animal products is superior than just animal sources. We didn't evolve as strict ketogenic carnivores even if we have the ability to compensate and live as one. There is no evidence that that protocol is superior. The same argument can be made about veganism, only replace herbivore with carnivore.

Until then, I don't see why having more of the more nutritionally dense foods is a bad option.
                          You are making the assumption that if some is good, then all must be best. I think you are extrapolating that certain foods will always be processed and absorbed with absolute precision by every single person. I don't believe it works that way. A potato might be of more value than a platter of oysters to someone who needs particular micro- and macronutrients.
                          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

In case you're interested in anything outside your current mindset, I recommend the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life" by Nora Gedgaudas. She makes a very convincing argument that the greatest part of humanity's evolution has taken place during ice ages and therefor a diet of mostly animal products with supplemental veggies and fruits on the side now and then is really the optimal diet for our genetic makeup and ketosis would have been the default metabolic state most of the time. The fact that we are omnivores and can live on many different macronutrient ratios just means we are flexible enough to make it through times when the hunt didn't go well.

There is no micronutrient that you can find in any plant that can not be found in greater concentration in animal products. What animals do is take the nutrients and process them for us into a much more bio available format.

And I didn't find a medicinal purpose for my particular diet. I found a diet that works for my medicinal needs. And just because I have epilepsy and find ketosis to be of great benefit to me does not meant that the only people who could benefit from it are people with serious medical issues.

But if you can't see past the Good Housekeeping diagram of a balanced meal plate with equal thirds taken up by a potato, veggies and a slice of meatloaf, then fine, eat what you like. I have never liked potatoes unless they were a delivery device for fat, salt, sour cream, etc. I like some veggies but not others. Given that I see no nutritional need for them, I only eat the ones I like. I find this tremendously liberating.
                            Last edited by Paleobird; 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              Nutrients - so what? Are they bound up in the fiber, making them unusable to humans? I have this gut feeling we aren't digesting tree bark very efficiently.
                              There have been at least two studies done on this topic, one with humans in 1917 and one with mice in 1979. Both of them agree that the nutrients in the bark are usable to humans and mice, but it is not advisable to receive more than e.g. 10 % of the daily energy requirements from the bark due to the resins and other ingredients left in the bark. Essentially this means that you are consuming the bark for its vitamins and minerals, not for the fats, proteins and carbohydrates.

Über den Nährwert der Fichtenbaumrinde beim Menschen (pg. 654-)

Comment

From a "foodie" viewpoint, I'd be curious to know if pine bark flour offered any piney or unique flavor? I think for example, coconut flour has a unique flavor that lends it to some uses really nicely.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X