Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To coffee or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To coffee or not?

    So is drinking coffee worth it? It no longer provides any sort of stimulation for me. Oddly it makes me sleepy almost immediately after drinking it. And I don't particularly like the taste. I don't know if it's making me cranky or reducing the quality of my sleep - nothing to compare to. My reason for drinking it at this point is really just for the health benefits. I'm thinking of quitting. Has anyone quit and felt better? Or do you think the health benefits are worth taking it as medicine.

  • #2
    I don't mean to be glib, but I think the answer to "this thing makes me feel shitty and I don't even like it, should I keep doing it?" is pretty obvious.

    The health benefits of coffee can all be found elsewhere, in forms you will probably enjoy more. If you don't like it, stop drinking it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
      If you don't like it, stop drinking it.
      I agree. Perhaps if you take a break from it, and return to it later, you might enjoy it again.
      My Writing Blog
      My Twitter

      Comment


      • #4
        In spite of my often professed passion for the brown brew, it appears to be, as of late, making my vision blurry - perhaps by increasing my intraocular pressure. Even if it IS otherwise awesome, I do not want to go blind! So, like you, I'm having to consider giving it up or perhaps greatly reducing intake. Very strong green tea is what I've been drinking for the past few days, with just a random cup of the free coffee here and there, but no more than two a day.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

        Comment


        • #5
          I didn’t occur any side effect like you after drinking coffee, I have used green coffee for 5 years and it gave me marvellous benefits such as reduce fat and activeness.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm pretty much off of the coffee myself these days except for the occasional cup when other family members are drinking it.

            On my own, I'm strictly yerba mate and tea these days. There was just something about the way coffee hit me that gave me issues that I don't get from tea and yerba mate.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

            Comment


            • #7
              Coffee is a double edge sword, its extremely nutrient dense but comes with caffeine. An 8 oz cup will give you 14% of your daily requirement of Ribiflavin and 12% of vitamin B5 with just 2 calories. Because of this I think one cup a day is a good idea. But if you don't like it don't drink it. Find some other way to get nutrition.

              Comment


              • #8
                If you're drinking it without cream or sugar, or without food that would explain why you get jitters and the crash. Yerba mate is new age crap that does nothing, and tea is similar to mate except tastes far better.

                Caffeine is good for you
                Make America Great Again

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  If you're drinking it without cream or sugar, or without food that would explain why you get jitters and the crash. Yerba mate is new age crap that does nothing, and tea is similar to mate except tastes far better.

                  Caffeine is good for you
                  I was wondering when you were going to come in and defend your ten cup a day habit.

                  To each their own!
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I was wondering when you were going to come in and defend your ten cup a day habit.

                    To each their own!
                    Yeah, to each their own. Yerba mate is nauseating to me though. It tastes bitter as hell even when killing it with sugar, and somehow smells similar to cough medicine.
                    Make America Great Again

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have been going through the same experience with coffee. It no longer stimulates me, but I enjoy my cup out of habit, although I have been cutting down to half my usual portion gradually. It's harmless enough.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

                      "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you had a cup (literally, 250 ml, not what some people call cups, which are actually more like 3 cups...) a day, I don't see too much of a problem. But as most things go in Western society, everything is in excess. And coffee (caffeine) in excess will promote cortisol production, and insulin resistance.

                        From personal experience, cutting out coffee has been one of the best things I could have done. I'm no longer tired throughout the day, and my energy levels have been stabilized. I can't justify the consumption of a stimulant, when I can't see the need for one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RandyStimpson View Post
                          Coffee is a double edge sword, its extremely nutrient dense but comes with caffeine. An 8 oz cup will give you 14% of your daily requirement of Ribiflavin and 12% of vitamin B5 with just 2 calories. Because of this I think one cup a day is a good idea. But if you don't like it don't drink it. Find some other way to get nutrition.
                          This is wonderful news to be b/c I love it and it's my first thought when I open my eyes in the morning! I just need one big cup but oh man I do love it....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MouthDR View Post
                            If you had a cup (literally, 250 ml, not what some people call cups, which are actually more like 3 cups...) a day, I don't see too much of a problem. But as most things go in Western society, everything is in excess. And coffee (caffeine) in excess will promote cortisol production, and insulin resistance.

                            From personal experience, cutting out coffee has been one of the best things I could have done. I'm no longer tired throughout the day, and my energy levels have been stabilized. I can't justify the consumption of a stimulant, when I can't see the need for one.
                            Coffee releases free fatty acids only when glycogen storage is low(adrenaline, not cortisol), by keeping glycogen stores full, it wouldn't have a negative impact on blood sugar or raise adrenaline. This is why coffee(caffeine), should be consumed with ample amounts of cream and sugar or alongside a carb heavy meal.
                            Make America Great Again

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RandyStimpson View Post
                              Coffee is a double edge sword, its extremely nutrient dense but comes with caffeine. An 8 oz cup will give you 14% of your daily requirement of Ribiflavin and 12% of vitamin B5 with just 2 calories. Because of this I think one cup a day is a good idea. But if you don't like it don't drink it. Find some other way to get nutrition.
                              Extremely nutrient dense? My black unadulterated non-bulletproof Mocha Java??? Hmmm, I have to find some other way to get my "nutrition" then...
                              Last edited by Gorbag; 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM.
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                              - Schopenhauer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X