What's good to drink?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's good to drink?

I've been following the Primal Blueprint for nearly a year, and I ended up losing 40 pounds in 5 months. I've had no real problems following it as far as food goes, but when it comes to drinks I'm pretty much hopeless. I love orange juice, apple juice and cranberry juice, but I know that it's essentially just glorified sugar. My problem is that I have nothing to replace them with. I find it difficult to just drink water, and I hate coffee and tea so I'm not sure what other options there are.

Any ideas?

Buy a juicer? I don't really recommend getting your calories from juice, but if you are really missing apple juice you can make your own fresh squeezed. Or you could buy one of the small citrus juicers if orange juice will be enough and you don't mind some pulp. Another option is mixing small amounts with juice with seltzer water to get a more diluted, carbonated style drink. It might not be completely primal , but I think if you really miss it and don't overdo the volume then it would be a relatively harmless addition. Those are my ideas, other might have something different.

Comment

Uuuuh...

The Health Benefits of Yerba Mate | Mark's Daily Apple

Probably not if you don't like tea or coffee, but you never know!
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I second the fizzy water. I weaned myself off juice and pop (and chocolate milk) with carbonated water that had splashes of juice in it.

Might look into kombucha if you're feeling adventurous. It's like fermented juice. Really hits the spot for juice drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by sarasue624 View Post
          I second the fizzy water. I weaned myself off juice and pop (and chocolate milk) with carbonated water that had splashes of juice in it.

Might look into kombucha if you're feeling adventurous. It's like fermented juice. Really hits the spot for juice drinkers.
          Kombucha is fermented tea but it often comes flavored with fruit juices (my favorite is GT's ginger booch). Fizzy water with a squeeze of lime or lemon is good.

Also, there are some interesting teas you may not have tried like rooibos and hibiscus (neither actually from the tea plant). You might want to explore your tea options some more. A good online vendor is The Tea Spot. Also Teavana.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Kombucha is fermented tea but it often comes flavored with fruit juices (my favorite is GT's ginger booch). Fizzy water with a squeeze of lime or lemon is good.

Also, there are some interesting teas you may not have tried like rooibos and hibiscus (neither actually from the tea plant). You might want to explore your tea options some more. A good online vendor is The Tea Spot. Also Teavana.
            I doubt I've given all the various "teas" a fair try, but I sincerely dislike the taste of regular tea at least. Never tried rooibos or hibiscus as far as I can remember, however. I'll look into those, and I suppose carbonated water might be nicer than regular water so I'll look into that as well.

Also, I'm not missing the various juices, because I haven't been able to give them up at all lol.

Comment

+1 for sparkling water with a splash of juice. Or just buy flavored La Croix, elixir of the gods. Coconut and cran-ras are my faves.

Comment

So there is only one drink you have to take, it is king coconut water. It doesn’t contain more sugar, carbohydrate and it is free from fat.

Comment

This is probably not the best suggestion in the world but I like to add a little gatorade to my water because it enhances my thirst. So when filling up a 32 oz bottle of water I include 4 oz of gatorade. That's 32 calories and if I sip on that over a two hour period of time I don't think it will trigger and insulin release.

Comment

yeah, it is king coconut water. It doesn’t contain more sugar, carbohydrate and it is free from fat.good info to me,thanks

Comment

yes, i agree coconut water is good for health and is also very beneficial for human body.......

Comment

I am a newbie to PB! I want to embrace this new lifestyle but curious about the 80/20 rule when it comes to drinking red wine. How many glasses of wine should I permit myself and how often? I love wine and have been drinking it every night for years. I think it's one of the major causes of my weight gain (20 lbs in two years). I'm not ready to give it up but completely open to cutting back. Please advise. Thank you!

Comment

Water, black coffee and plain tea.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Are you looking for a beverage to drink for pure enjoyment? I like water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, sparkling waters with citrus flavors (not sweetened), coffee, tea. Today I'm on my 2nd cup of homemade bone broth.

If you simply want to stay hydrated, you don't have to love water to chug a glass or a bottle here and there to satisfy your thirst. This trend of carrying around a bottle of water at all times, in a first world nation, has gotten a bit ridiculous.
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by HollyGoLightly View Post
                              I am a newbie to PB! I want to embrace this new lifestyle but curious about the 80/20 rule when it comes to drinking red wine. How many glasses of wine should I permit myself and how often? I love wine and have been drinking it every night for years. I think it's one of the major causes of my weight gain (20 lbs in two years). I'm not ready to give it up but completely open to cutting back. Please advise. Thank you!
                              YMMV but I lost weight and have maintained that loss for over three years while having a third of a bottle of red each night. Your gain may have another cause
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X