Question from a newbie on protein

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from a newbie on protein

Hi all...I am struggling with this program because truthfully I hate meat. I choke down chicken, turkey and fish, but I do mean choke down. I get meat in about 3-5 times a week in small portions. I also don't do dairy, so my protein sources were always supplemented by tons of nuts and beans. I adhere pretty well to the low-carb part of things, but trying to get the protein in and not eat too many nuts and legumes is really tough for me.

This may be the most ridiculous question given the type of program it is, but does anyone do this diet as primarily veggie, and more limited or sparse protein? I don't want to be a vegetarian, but the meat eating is just never gonna happen for me in the way the book reccomends.

Sorry if this has been addressed, I didnt see anything when I searched.

Oooh, that's tough. I'm not a HUGE fan of meat, so I supplement with protein powders and that leads to a bunch of yummy alternatives.
    Optimum Nutrition has great flavors, but some have a bit of sodium in them. Also, Syntrax brand has a line called Nectar and about 12 flavors to choose from. My favorites are cherry and crystal sky. Mix these with some coconut milk and they're extra tasty. With just water is great, too!

Comment

what the.... have you read the book???? LEGUMES?? BEANS??? this is not a diet for vegetarians... if you are a vegetarian then find another program to follow. if you cant do what the book says then go elsewhere... not trying to be rude but really...
      Get on my Level
      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Easy! This person is searching for some help and not ridicule. Getting the message across is done much easier with positive reinforcement rather than negativity. We all respond to food differently so we each have to find our way through this with HELP from others.

Comment

Since you're not a big meat eater then you could always go the protein shake route. My suggestions is to add some veggies and fruits to the shake. Do at least 1 veggies with 1 fruit. Its add a little sweetness and a little crystal light for flavoring ain't bad either. This way it taste better and you're also getting some more nutritional value. There are a lot of other ways to get protein. Almonds & eggs are a good source.

And Calm down MalPaz. They were just asking a question. The whole point of this site is for people who need answers.
          Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

sorry... but many of his questions have been answered elsewhere with a quick search would prolly provide the answers he is seeking... i didnt understand if he had read the book as to why he is eating beans and legumes...

my apologies... add a lotta fat- coconut oil, lard, tallow, butter, ghee....even if youre not a "meat eater" you can still add this to what it is you do eat
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I see your problem! You're missing thick, juicy steaks and fatty roasts and drippings drippings drippings oohhhhhhh
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Little bear... until a solution is found I would recommend trying different spices, sauces, and recipes to eat meat. Unless there is pain when you eat proteins? Because that could be a G.I issue...

Im with Paul Chek on the don't become a vegetarian unless your detoxifying, you have too, or you no longer have the desire for meat.

Until then, what about eggs? And why don't you do dairy? You gotta give us something to work with here... Im a why guy btw haha

And I wouldn't have protein powders be my only source of protein for longer than 4 weeks unless it was a high quality grass-fed source protein powder... and those are expensive as hell...

Give us some more info, and we can help you.
                sigpic
                In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

How do you prepare your meat? do you add seasonings to it? I can't fathom how somebody doesn't like the taste of it, but being raised on it I can't think of ever not eating meat.

My suggestion would be eggs, great source of protein, ridiculously primal and it's not meat so everybody wins?
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

No worries MalPaz. Didn't try to jump on you either. It's all about the love at MDA.
                    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Mark's son is vegetarian, & his wife mostly only eats fish. Go the protein shake route, & eat nuts. You could always shoot Mark an email...
                      And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                      Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Maybe you just haven't had meat that was properly seasoned or prepared right. I know I can barely eat meat just plain by itself either. But throw some garlic and onions on that hunk of meat and I'm all over it. Think of all the spices available. Sage, thyme, seaseme seeds, ginger, cumin, dill, parsley and cilantro, even cinnamon is wonderful to cook with. What about fish or eggs? They are pretty mild tasting. A few eggs fried in butter, if I cook them just right, so they are a tad bit crispy, they remind me of camping! Just throwing out some ideas for you. I'd say, just experiment in the kitchen with flavors that you know you already like, then add those flavors to meat. And make sure you don't overcook it. I think that's one of the biggest mistakes people make.
                        Last edited by beckinwolf; 04-08-2010, 03:09 PM.
                        Carpe Diem!

Comment

You might want to try The Garden of Eating cookbook. There are many good recipes in it that might help you prepare the proteins that you might dislike in a new and unique manner. I totally get where you are coming from. I'm not much for fish, and I'm slowly learning to like it. Chicken has always been a struggle for me, but if I add some fat and seasonings, it makes it easier. Eggs are touch and go for me, depending on the day, and they have to be prepared properly. Do some experimenting in the kitchen and use some new spices/herbs. Sometimes the things you think you dislike may just need a different prep method.

If you are going to use a protein powder, I suggest using one without artificial sweeteners (Syntrax Nectar has splenda/sucralose in it.) Natural Factors makes a pretty good whey protein powder with stevia, and Jay Robb makes a good egg protein powder. You can get them at vitacost.com

Everyone has their unique tastes in food, so I wish you the best and I hope you find some proteins that will suit your palate.

Comment

ok let me back up because I think I came off wrong....I am not a vegetarian and I am not seeking to be a vegetarian. I just have never been a big meat eater...I dunno why I just never liked it. I do eat chicken, fish and turkey but I dont eat it often...historically.

I JUST read the book and JUST started the program. I am eating meat but its a struggle right now. I USED TO eat nuts and legumes as a supplement, but trying to wean off those and eat more meat. I am off beans totally but still doing nuts and nut butters which is ok just I saw the article recommending a fistful of nuts a day and I do more. I hate red meat , and love fish...but not sure how much fish you can eat and I am so sick of plain chicken and turkey. Right now in the beginning it's a struggle so I was just trying to see what others did....that's all.

I did run searches, I didn't see anything and I am sorry if I caused distress to people having to read the same question others have posted. I dont think telling me to get lost was really called for though.

Dairy I don't eat because it wrecks my system, I do soy milk. I do a lot of eggs since I started, but like the fish I don't know how much of that is ok.

For those who do protein shakes....do you use whey or egg white? does it matter? I know whey trashes my digestion, and most of them contain a lot of artificial sweeteners.

Thanks so much for those who responded, and honestly if this post is annoying or offensive or belongs somewhere else I am sorry.

Comment

I usually eat 3 meals a day and one of them uses whey protein and hemp seeds for protein. I don't know what your particular problem with dairy is but I would wager it's the lactose, but whey protein doesn't have lactose. It's kind of like a protein pudding with a whole bunch of other awesome stuff like omega 3 seeds, shredded coconut, berries, etc. Then you will only be eating meat twice a day instead of 3 times.

My second meal of the day is either fish alone or fish and eggs. They're great but I would eat them with some fat or oil as neither of them is particularly fatty like beef or pork. I usually turn it into a BAS (search the blog!) with a lot of vegetables, fats and oils, spices, etc.

So all in all I am eating either chicken, beef, or pork once a day maximum.

Stop with the soy milk for your own good. Unfermented soy is not your friend. I use coconut milk with mixed in cocoa, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, etc when I make my protein pudding.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X