Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taubes inadvertently answers two burning questions........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taubes inadvertently answers two burning questions........

Working my way through GCBC and Gary answered two questions/observations that keep coming up, almost as asides as he's talking larger topics.

First, it is often pointed out that many populations eat a high carb diet without suffering Metabolic Syndrome. Reason: Metabolic Syndrome only appears with an ample diet. On calorie restriction, which many Asian diets have been, it does not.

The second has to do with water retention. We all have the experience of going on low carb, which usually means low fiber, and losing a lot of "water weight." I personally have presumed and stated that this was water attached to the fiber. Turns out that carbs actually and directly cause the body to retain more sodium which would otherwise be excreted. Your body, of course, holds more water to keep the balance correct. So, yes, water weight indeed, but not all fiber related. Might also be a reason high cheese consumption can stall weight loss, lots of sodium, one of the worst culprits.

While the video online is a great summary of the book, there is SO much more within the book. I look forward to the less reading dedicated public learning from his forthcoming condensation, "Why You are Fat." Is that blunt enough?

I had to stop about 1/3 of the way through GCBC. I have it on the kindle and the info was just too detailed for me to absorb it in that format. I need to order a hard copy of the book so I can dog ear pages, flip back and forth, make notes....ahhhhh....yes, just like in my college days. Maybe a trip to B&N is in order today...

Anyway...interesting tidbits you've posted...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Thanks for posting those. Great point about metabolic syndrome. "Hidden in plain view" as you might say.

Comment

Interesting. I thought the ingestion of carbs was more related to the storage of glycogen in the muscles at a 4:1 ratio to water, and that (not sodium) was the explanation for "water weight/retention" after having eaten carbs.

Comment

i thought that as well...fat holds a lot less water than carbs too.... neither would i say is real "weight" though so if your focused on a scale # then carbs will play a role, same with cheese- you hold more water form sodium but is it even real weight?
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think the glycogen - of which there is far more in the liver than in muscle - is another "water weight" factor, for sure. But apparently not the only one. I further think that glycogen stores peak out at some point, most (almost) certainly in the muscle. Maybe not in the liver?

What is "real weight?" It's all real, IMNSHO. It may not be what we want, or it may be aberrant, like with edema, but it's all real.

Comment

I've been slowing managing to shift point of view from obsessing over "weight" (as in what the scale says) to [obsessing over ] "fat" composition (build, muscle tone, how clothes fit, etc.). But it's hard (at least for me) -- old habits sometimes can die hard! Next on the list: to relax and quit obsessing about *anything*

Comment

OTB: Which online video are you referring to? Not sure if I've seen it.

I was just going to make a post about water weight. People are dismissive of the significant weight loss at the beginning of a low carb diet, attributing it to "just losing water weight." It's not considered real weight loss, and even borders on dehydrating yourself in the minds of many. But...it's not like we lose it and gain it back again...it seems to stay off, and makes me wonder if it's healthy to have you're body holding onto extra water all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by lesliek View Post
                  OTB: Which online video are you referring to? Not sure if I've seen it.

I was just going to make a post about water weight. People are dismissive of the significant weight loss at the beginning of a low carb diet, attributing it to "just losing water weight." It's not considered real weight loss, and even borders on dehydrating yourself in the minds of many. But...it's not like we lose it and gain it back again...it seems to stay off, and makes me wonder if it's healthy to have you're body holding onto extra water all the time.
                  Yeah, that gets me wondering as well. Water weight is still WEIGHT! You see the excess weight throughout your body, so in my book, it does count.
                  Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                  Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                  I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

Loss of water is fine, it just doesn't equate to loss of fat, which is what many of us want.

Taubes gives the overview of GCBC in a 70 minute lecture. Look up his name on youtube or google video. It's around.

Comment

The other significance of water weight is that it increases your blood pressure. That is one of the reasons why people's blood pressure tends to drop on a low-carb diet. GCBC was a revelation to me! I was amazed to learn how excess glucose and insulin is tied in to the development of so many health problems, including all the biggies - cancer, alzheimers, heart disease, diabetes. I don't have a weight problem, but I sure want to do everything I can to avoid those diseases. I feel so much better eating primally. Gary Taubes book was the life-changing motivator for me. Get a copy and slog through it. You'll be amazed what knowledge has been exiled by TPTB.

Comment

Water weight and water attached to glycogen is all very well, but part of the initial weight loss may just be partial emptying of bowel contents. And like the unmissed water, a buildup of sluggish old waste and cellulose fiber in the bowels due to grains hanging around is something we can all happily do without.

Comment

Interesting point about some people not being fat despite heavy carb consumption. It always seemed to me that to lose weight, either you have to cut carbs or cut calories. Even with cutting carbs, it's not like you can eat far more in excess of what your body can burn over time and not put on or hold on to excess weight. I do believe, however, that losing weight and keeping it off through a primal lifestyle is the healthier of the two. My sense is that once ketoadaptation occurs, the challenges of eating less subside due to the presence of fat and protein in the diet. However, with calorie restriction and portion control I'm not sure this ever really happens. I think people just become more obsessed with what to eat and how many calories to burn. There's a relatively new movement called "Eat Clean". It's basically, as I understand it, a sort of modified South Beach thing, where you are told to focus on particular food types, combinations, etc. You are told specifically what to eat on a particular day and are told to pack yourself a carry-along cooler that contains only those food items and nothing more. Personally, I don't think it could work because it has folks thinking too much about what to eat all the time. I think that Primal may feel obsessive in the beginning, but ultimately I think it is quite freeing to know that there are particular things that humans were not really evolved to eat on a regular basis, and if they do, they will suffer from all sorts of metabolic and health challenges. I think it ultimately becomes a way of living harmoniously with one's body and instincts.

Comment

I heartily agree with the recommendation to read GCBC. In the UK the book is called The Diet Delusion for some stupid reason, but it is the same book. I found it in my local library, but Amazon sell it too.
                            My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

the eat clean thing is not than new and its basically another for om lowfat. started by oxygen mags owners wife to sell more of the mag... CWBS
                              challenge yourself
                              i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X