No announcement yet.

Protein Powder: place in a primal diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Powder: place in a primal diet?

I started drinking protein shakes before discovering the primal diet and have found them hard to quit...I like the way they taste(the way I make them at least) and I have found that drinking one at lunch, after my workout, does an excellent job of keeping me full throughout the day. I have read Mark's bit about them on this site and have been trying to slowly work them out of my diet, but they're hard to give up. The Primal Fuel Mark sells is a little out of my price range. What are your thoughts on protein powder and the primal diet?

I'd be concerned about the oxidized cholesterol. Protein is not hard to come by and you don't even need it that much anyways. I like supplements stopped spending money on shakes.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Are you using a flavoured, artificially sweetened powder, or are you adding some straight-up whey protein isolate to a homemade smoothie? Those are two very different things. Some people will tell you never use them, but I feel that a high-quality whey protein can be useful in some situations. But it's not really a replacement for eating real food.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm embarrassed to admit I use MetRx from Trader Joe's, which has flavoring and some soy ingredients(lecithin, etc). I really would like to un-incorporate it from my diet but I always seem to get so darn HUNGRY if I don't have a shake with my lunch. I eat tons of veggies and some meat and eggs along with it so it's not exactly a replacement for real food. I guess I'm just worried about cutting it out, getting really hungry between lunch and dinner, and then overeating...

Comment

I think they're not really necessary in my opinion. Most people of a reasonable size can get all the protein they'll ever need through meat, dairy, and eggs. Imagine that... Real whole foods for building muscle!

However, Mark makes and sells one himself so he must think there is a place for them in the diet. In addition, he wrote an entire blog on various protein powder types here: Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I use Dr. Mercola Power Protein after a strength training workout(only twice a week). Whey is a very fact absorbing protein so it gets to the muscles faster than other proteins plus it is rich in Lucien which has been shown to promote muscle growth. It is cold processed and whey concentrate so it is not oxidized or damaged protein. It is also from grass-fed cows. It's expensive but since I only use it once a week it lasts a long time. I think QUALITY Whey Protein Concentrate has a place in your diet but I'm not sure it is beneficial the way you are using it. Replace it in your lunch with tuna or something else high in protein.

Comment

It wont kill you. I always take it after a workout and mostly in the mornings as well. You cant always get enough protein naturally due to time restrictions ect..

Not sure why drumroll says they arent needed. Maybe they arent needed for HIM but lots of people who hit the gym and lift heavy on a regular basis supplement with it. If your sitting on the couch, then thats another story.

Comment

It's totally not necessary to shove protein down your throats after every workout. Even Mark has said so many times. Just one example: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Besides, I don't necessarily see how a protein shake is necessarily better after a workout than just eating some honest-to-God meat or drinking a glass of milk. There was one guy at a gym I used to go to that used homemade kefir as his post-workout shake. No protein powder added when I asked him about it. And he was RIPPED.

I've also seen people bring slices of turkey or roast beef to eat after workouts. Not to mention my friend who simply goes home and drinks about four ounces of whole milk after a workout.

In the blog that I links to in my earlier post Mark even says that a lot of people can meet their protein needs simply eating whole foods, even if they are heavy lifting regularly.

There are LOTS of options for post-workout protein that don't have to involve a protein powder at all.

My preferred method? Cook a great roast in a crock-pot, workout hard, go home, eat meal.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Probably not necessary, but I use them as well. I have a protein shake most weekday mornings for breakfast. I'm not a morning person, and it takes about 2 minutes to blend and drink a protein shake. Mine are clean and free of crap ingredients. It keeps me full until lunch. It also saves me time. And in reality, it probably even saves me money over what free range eggs and nitrate free bacon or some similar primal breakfast would cost. I'm not rich- I save my money for ingredients for dinner.
                  High Weight: 225
                  Weight at start of Primal: 189
                  Current Weight: 174
                  Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

It's definitely not necessary but in a pinch once in awhile they are not too bad. I just would not have the shakes more ofthen than a regular lunch or PWO meal. Real whole foods trumphs the shake in my opinion.
                    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Not really necessary unless you are trying to bulk up massively, but go for it if you want. The 20% is there for that reason.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with what your goals are and/or why you are taking it...

- Isolate is awesome PWO. I understand that you don't "need" it, but if you are lifting heavy or high volume often, you are probably trying to maintain muscle mass if not trying to add. Whey does not "bulk" you up, the rest of your diet may, but a few servings a day does not.

- would love to bring whole food to the gym but would be a but expensive to eat high quality protein after every workout, whey is very convenient.

- Great to add to plain yogurt for a very low carb snack, also saves money with smoothies etc.

Comment

I eat one almost every day. I figure it's fast, filling and doesn't have a lot of crap I it. It doesn't have much in it other than protein, but I eat a lot of nutrient dense foods at the other meals.
                          I use Xtreme Whey, just add water.

Comment

Every morning I have a breakfast smoothie made with one scoop of whey powder, berries, honey, green tea, and a little coconut milk (plus two eggs). They whey powder is most of my 15%, chocolate is the other 5%. It works for me. I "eat real food" for lunch and dinner and don't have time to whip up a steak every morning.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Whey protein isolate is not necessary but it may have a function in a low carb diet when you want to lose weight and keep on to muscles. If you want to gain muscles I would rather use a scoop of brewers yeast in milk and some chocholate powder. Yes, it tastes pretty awful but it works, much better than whey IMO...
                              Last edited by Gorbag; 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM.
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X