Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food too expensive ..

Hey,

I try to eat as good as possible but I'm finding I'm spending 100 pounds a week on food!

I eat 4 meals a day because I'm lifting weights and trying to bulk.

Salmon is 6 pounds... That's 4 slices which last 2 days for 2 meals.

Chicken thighs are about 2.70 for 4.. That's 5.40 for 2 days for 2 meals.

Steak, pork or beef are also expensive.

Eggs are good because they're cheap an you can buy in bulk.

What can I get rid of and start including as protein?

Thanks

For one, you don't need to eat that often.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/ seems to have solid British-centric advice.

But in general, maybe find some cheap sources of fat? Just from the above list you look pretty protein-heavy.

I have found a price book also helps, you can easily compare oranges to oranges, and even apples to oranges, so to speak, if you have the price/lb or oz. all figured out. For example, I was buying some salami packages for my kid, but now that he's not such a fan of it, I'm buying more meat that isn't @ $11/lb (even grass-fed hotdogs are half that price!).

Comment

eggs
        canned salmon and tuna
        rice
        potatoes/sweet potatoes
        ground beef
        whole chickens/turkeys/etc
        whole milk

if youre trying to bulk, aim for 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. then 1.5-2 grams of carbs per lb of bodyweight. add fat accordingly. any more than this, and you're probably overeating.

Comment

1pound fish?? THE ORIGINAL... One 1 Pound Fish, Queens Market, Upton Park, London E13 - YouTube LOL

Comment

Butter is not expensive fot its calories. Rice isn't either
            well then

Comment

Some things I do:

Minced meat is really versatile - butchers and supermarkets often do deals on larger amounts. Buy liver (chicken has the mildest flavour), finely chop and add to mince when I make burgers, meatballs or bolognese sauce (have on veggies - not pasta, obviously!). V cheap and nutritious

Shop in supermarkets close to closing time.

Buy whole roasting joints, rather than pre-cut portions.

Have a look at what deals my local supermarket is running before I go out to shop and base my list around that.

Don't shun cheaper supermarkets: Lidl is great for tinned wild salmon (and probably tuna, but I don't like it), frozen grassfed lamb chops and sea food and had freerange goose and goose fat recently (might just be an Xmas thing!).

Get the most out of all the meat you buy by making stock (bone broth) with the bones.

Comment

Get yourself to the butchers and fish stalls in the market - salmon and steaks are probably the priciest way to get your food. Go for mackerel, herring.....

Comment

Well we spend less than 100 quid a week and there is 5 of us, 2 adults, 11 yrs 4 yrs and 1 yrs. We shop at aldi for the most part and get a few odds and ends that they don't do from asda. We don't buy organic or free range (apart from free range eggs and sometimes a free range chicken). Plus I eat plenty.

Protien for us is mince (less than 2 for 800g) chicken pieces, whole chickens and cheap cuts of pork, salmon, steak and lamb are rare treats, unless they are on short date. I eat offal too, cheap as owt, but the rest of the tribe don't really like it much.

That's how we do primal and it works for us

The 1 meals blog is good too - though I reckon you'll be looking at 2 meals for a decent bloke protion
                  You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I reckon about 120 a week for 5 of us - we do much the same as suggested above with one difference, which is that I buy my lamb and beef directly from the farmer in bulk and make use of my freezer. I then also get all the good fat and bones to render and turn into stock with can then be used to cook in, with and make soup from. I would definitely suggest cutting back on the protein and adding more fat! Offal is a good, cheap source of protein, and as Tribal Rob suggests, know when your local supermarket discounts things and be there - a good selection is frequently available.

Comment

I spend around 120 per week for a family of 4 and 2 dogs and 2 cats. You must be eating well.

Salmon is procey unless on a special, wild caught frozen Alaskan Pollack from LIDL is 5 per kilo. They also do tinned wild salmon for 1.99 for a 400grm tin.

Offal can be cheap, bacon in bulk around a fiver a kilo. Eggs are good and cheap. I also bulk buy free range chicken breasts from the local butcher, works out at 35 a kilo too.

Frozen veg is cheap as chips, I get spinach, broccoli etc as backup and buy fresh veg from greengrocers.

It can all be done on the cheap, in fact, I think that my personal food costs have gone down a lot since eating this way.

Comment

Buy more fat, eat cheaper cuts, don't buy so much fish. Salmon is freaking expensive.
                        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Hi, when I switched from regular food buying to only hormone free/dye free/chemical free foods, my food bill for two adults went up only 25 dollars or so. It just seems like a lot more when you're paying but if you subtract one eat out meal per month or two, it's no biggie. You don't always have to be eating meat if it's so expensive where you live: eggs, even things like nitrate free all beef hot dog packs go a long way to make with veggies & eggs. You can consume your fats in a day with eggs, veggies & coconut oil also. Eat vegetarian plates cooked in bacon fat, butter or coconut oil, I bet you could decrease your bill a bit. Sounds like you're trying to buy up everything on the primal list, but you don't necessarily need to do that for the meat dept. I hope that helps, good luck!

Comment

I agree that even extremely heavy lifters don't need to eat four times a day. That's an old hold-out from CW that has been continually proven false.

Even Mark has this to say about post-workout nutrition: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                              Buy more fat, eat cheaper cuts, don't buy so much fish. Salmon is freaking expensive.
                              This ^ while fish is yummy, it's way too expensive unless you are going out and catching it yourself. I love me some fish but it's 8-20$ a pound here so 4.93GBP to 12.33GBP per .45kg where I can get a .45kg of pork steak for 2.12gbp, and chicken for about 2.40gbp.
                              -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Working...
                              X