Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
    When my AS kicked in (for me it was immediate), my calories went down by 500/day. It was crazy. I think it's useful when the AS is in full force to really test out how little you can eat and not be hungry, to allow your stomach to shrink down some. Then, when you're in the groove, boost calories to a sustainable level.

cwtch, I know I just got done saying that it's my belief that you can eat pretty much anything within the caloric level you set for yourself and SLD will still work, but just looking at the food you listed, I would immediately cut out the nuts, dried cranberries, and brown sugar. That's A LOT of empty calories and appetite suppression is not going to work as well if you're not nourishing yourself. Take out the brown sugar completely, and replace the nut/cranberry meal with a meal of meat, green veggies, and a baked sweet potato (my dinner every night without fail is a portion of meat, a giant pile of steamed kale, collards, or broccoli with butter, and a sweet potato with butter). It'll come out to a better macro breakdown and be about 100x more nutritious, which will make your body go, "Oh, cool, we're good on fuel, let's let go of some of this extra fat."

My personal opinion is that anyone wanting to lose fat should be eating nuts and fruit very sparingly. The only fruit I eat is berries (they're relatively low in sugar) and I have at most 1tbsp of peanut butter a day (I know PB isn't primal but I just love it to death). I'm able to lose fat at these amounts, but if I ate more fruit and nuts it wouldn't budge.
    thank you... I will cut them out, or just have them on my 'treat' day. I do tend to eat a lot of pork, chicken, bacon and beef in the week with stir fry veggies. It isn't often we have potato; sometimes sweet pot and sometimes whit pot. The sugar is defo a treat too... I cut that out over 4 weeks ago and it has been harder than cutting out the wheat and flour! I don't crave bread at all now - yey me! So although the scale isn't playing fair, I am seeing benefits else where.
    Like I said I will drop the nuts and let you know on any progress weight or otherwise.
    Actually dropping the nuts (pardon the pun) makes a lot of sense now, thinking about it. As I said before, my hubby has lost 23lbs since the beginning of the year with primal eating and is seeing huge benefits in a lot of areas. He never eats nuts cos he doesn't like them! And he eats a lot of berries, every morning actually for lunch - with a bit of youghurt. Perhaps I should follow suit.
    Thanks again... I love this thread... really interesting and inspirational.

Comment

• I am discovering that I really can eat anything I want if I eat fermented things several times per day and have MCT oil with my meals and ELOO between meals!

Comment

• Hi All

I have4 been following this thread for a few days now & have read lots of shovelqueen’s thread on the SL forum. I have been taking unrefined CO since Tuesday (wont do Walnut oil due to high omega 6 & struggling with the idea of refined anything. Also the CO was already planned into my menus anyway)

At first every thing was great, if fact I was struggling to eat 1000 cals. However, for the last 3 days I have started kitchen raiding at night again. I know part of the problem is that I have gone back to late nights on the computer & I always raid the kitchen then. It’s not because I’m hungry, I guess it’s just a habit.

Anyway, my real question is would it be Ok to have my last shot at night. I want to be 14hr IF & the kitchen raids don’t help so I thought if I had the second CO at the end of the feed window that would help the kitchen raids & help with the IF but did I read somewhere that CO at night keeps people awake?

Thanks for a great thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

Anyway, my real question is would it be Ok to have my last shot at night. I want to be 14hr IF & the kitchen raids donít help so I thought if I had the second CO at the end of the feed window that would help the kitchen raids & help with the IF but did I read somewhere that CO at night keeps people awake?
          You can definitely have your last oil shot at night! Some people find that CO and/or MCT oil give them energy, making it hard to sleep at night. That's not the case with me. I could easily take CO right before bed and fall asleep no problem. So test it out. You should already know whether or not CO gives you energy. It's all personally customizable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
            You can definitely have your last oil shot at night! Some people find that CO and/or MCT oil give them energy, making it hard to sleep at night. That's not the case with me. I could easily take CO right before bed and fall asleep no problem. So test it out. You should already know whether or not CO gives you energy. It's all personally customizable.
            Thanks for the response - I haven't noticed any real energy buzz after talking CO so I will give it a go.

Comment

• I do Co before bed and sleep fine too. I also If so it helps that for sure. Today again I noticed how quickly I filled up with less than my normal amount at a meal. Hopefully the calorie deficit and the CO means I'll see some weight loss soon!

Comment

• Folks, I am thinking about going on a limb and trying sugar water maybe next week or so to see if it has the same impact as oil does. Curious, I suppose, and wanna see if a LF version if possible.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Folks, I am thinking about going on a limb and trying sugar water maybe next week or so to see if it has the same impact as oil does. Curious, I suppose, and wanna see if a LF version if possible.
                  Let us know how that works for you.

Comment

• Seems I lost a little weight. I have been walking more and I have been cutting back on fat calories, but still my percentage of calories from fat is high. The AS helps keep calories at a resonable place. and I am making sure to stop eating every night by 7 pm, breakfast is not until 8 or 9, and if not hungry, then I only have coffee with a tad of cream. yesterday i added a scoop of whey powder and i felt fine, even lifted heavy things at the gym for an hour.
                    so i think the Shangri-la thing works to keep appetite in check, but its not magic weight loss. the other things i do, with fewer calories to mess them up, is what is pushing the tiny weight loss. Not complaining, just an observation FWIW.
                    Good luck all!

Comment

• I have finally caved in and bought some refined coconut oil. Trying to use virgin CO with my nose pinched was just too difficult especially as I was getting a residue after taste. Also in the quantities I will be consuming it, it is jut too expensive. So I have bought some KTC Pure Coconut oil, which has not been hydrogenated in any way, and they don’t use hexane in the refining process. Best of all it’s Ĺ the cost of grass fed butter. I will switch to 1 shot of this during the day & the virgin CO at night.

Best coconut cooking oil for cooking? - Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter (London, England) - Meetup

Hopefully the AS will kick in soon

Comment

• I only pop in and out, so can I just quickly ask w/o starting at the beginning, what is AS?

thanks mucho!
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• AS = appetite suppression.

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
                            AS = appetite suppression.
                            ah duh... thanks!!!!
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• i find refined CO and extra-light olive oil work well. i've been doing 1 T. of each in hot water (to melt CO) once a day, sometimes every other day lately. it works for me. sometimes i add a T of heavy cream to the water, too, and it still has no taste.
                              good news, I finally lost two pounds over the last 2 days. we'll see how it goes.

Comment

• Just wanted to post a little update... the EVOO is defo working! I'm less hungry generally, my last meal is before 7pm and I rarely eat after that... I have my EVOO for 'breakfast' and then I have a small snack at around 11am! Before the EVOO I would be ready to eat anything by that time.
                                The scale has actually moved... it is just a pound, but this is the first time in 18mths, so something is definitely workiking! Probably the combination of low carb, higher fat and less food overall! I defo think the not eating after tea time is helping.

I am not expecting miracles, a pound every week or two would be fine, I am in no rush - Hey! I've been at this weight for so long now and maintaining with ease. But to see 163 lb on the scale is such a great feeling! Perhaps this is the end of a very long stall?

Thanks heatseeker for starting this thread and making me rethink my diet!

Hope everyone else is doing well...

Comment

Working...
                                X