No announcement yet.

Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think this is something that could work well with my pcos issues, i don't mind eating unrefined coconut oil off a spoon

my body is so out of whack, who knows if it will do anything

but ima try it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

He advocates using "light olive oil" in this diet to which I have but one complaint...

"Light" olive oil is the type that is most often adulterated with shit like soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, ect. No flavor in "light" olive oil? Then you'll never know it's been messed with.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        May as well just do a BP coffee right?
        To some, that tastes good. I think the whole point of it is to purposely be flavorless. Get calories in which will blunt your hunger later when you go for a meal but doesn't trigger the reward reaction in your brain because it has no discernible taste.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
          I counted calories the first week I was doing SLD, just to see where I ended up. When I plugged each day into myfitnesspal, the result was almost always 1000-1100 calories, even eating at a wide variety; this seemed to be my new satiety point. I ONLY counted food, not the extra calories from coconut oil. My tablespoons are pretty rounded (I just grab a hunk out of the jar), so I was estimating an extra 300 calories per day of coconut oil, which brings my actual daily totals up to 1300-1400 cals per day.
          THat's interesting. I find that when diets increase in fat a bit (this is just a general observation) the overall calories decrease. It was interesting to see myself drop from 2000-2200 before primal, to 16-1800 on primal, and now 15-1700 on the IF. So, to an extent, I'm not at all surprised if you would be right around there considering where your restriction was last (12-1500 calories which you mentioned somewhere!).

I'm sure that's true for some people, but I absolutely don't think it's the case for me. I've spent years playing around with macros and caloric amounts. I could restrict to 1100 cal/day (miserably, I might add), or I could eat 2500 cal/day; nothing changed my setpoint.

I also don't think it's specifically the fat that's doing it. Dr. Roberts did it with sugar water and got the same results. Other people have experimented with just eating a meal a day with their nose clipped to block out flavor, and also had success. It's something to do with extra energy that is not associated with flavor (and therefore reward) in the brain. Like I've said, I don't exactly understand the mechanism behind it, and I'd recommend that you read the book if you're curious.
          It's nigh-on impossible to find most of thse books here, but I'm going to look at the blogs when I have a bit more time to do so. Sounds like an interesting mechanism, anyway.

My exact movement practice is:
          MWF: Crossfit
          T/Th: Lifting class (Crossfit-affiliated, and we do some metcons, but it's mostly heavy lifting)
          2-3 times a week, whenever I have the time to go: Hot vinyasa
          Daily, in my home: 45-60min yoga practice
          Daily, outside: Walking my dogs 30 min twice a day
          A few times a month when I get the hankering: 10x10sec sprints in the park

Looking at that, it seems like a lot, but I'm a yoga teacher and live my life in gyms and studios, so it's just my lifestyle.
          Nah, I'm the same. Dh and I were chatting about the "greasing the groove" process -- wherein it's not too much volume to do volume, particularly of body weight. Yoga does that well. I do 45-60 mins per day vinyasa, though I rarely take classes simply due to time, and i'm now doing some body-weight stuff daily (perhaps 6 days?) which is designed to help rehab some specific things in my shoulder that my yoga work isn't getting to that easily, and that's doing the same sort of thing. I'll try to find an article about it, but it works similarly to crossfit (in a way).

Then there's also the regular life-walking that I do (probably about an hour a day), and then the play swimming that I do 2-4 days a week with my son -- I often do water sprints in there because it's a fun game (all three of us "race" each other, and it gets the boy really swimming), and this year, I'm adding in some skating (roller derby) at least once a week. Psyched about that.

So, that's fun stuff. It doesn't have to be PB to work, you know?
          Last edited by zoebird; 01-01-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
            i think this is something that could work well with my pcos issues, i don't mind eating unrefined coconut oil off a spoon

my body is so out of whack, who knows if it will do anything

but ima try it
            I do this because I need the extra calories. Quite tasty, in fact, but I love coconuts.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Heatseeker, I've been trying to explain SLD to people for 5 years now. It's nearly impossible unless people are open to thinking outside the box and are willing to put CW aside. We have lots of "outside the box thinking" going on in these forums, and most are willing to disregard the CW low-fat dogma. But many of them are firmly set into another "box", and are not going to look into SLD. Let them be...

BTW, Seth Roberts has experimented with using butter, flax oil, or butter wrapped in beef as his "flavourless calories". And noted interesting effects with each different fat. He chronicles his n=1 experiments on his blog.
              Last edited by marthat; 01-01-2013, 07:00 AM.

Comment

So I decided to give this a try yesterday. My one tbsp of refined CO at 2 PM didn't help with the alcohol induced munchies last night though In all seriousness - I give my dogs 2 tbsp of CO oil a day - I'll try it on myself!

One question for people who do this - after eating my tbsp of CO (less enjoyable than I thought) I got really warm. My face was all red and I felt much warmer than I usually do. Does this happen to you? Around here in the winter this might be reason enough to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                  So I decided to give this a try yesterday. My one tbsp of refined CO at 2 PM didn't help with the alcohol induced munchies last night though In all seriousness - I give my dogs 2 tbsp of CO oil a day - I'll try it on myself!

One question for people who do this - after eating my tbsp of CO (less enjoyable than I thought) I got really warm. My face was all red and I felt much warmer than I usually do. Does this happen to you? Around here in the winter this might be reason enough to do it!
                  Yep, thats the MCT's, they really crank up the metabolism. Go back and check out that link i post on page 3 or 4, pretty interesting stuff on coconut oil.

Comment

Whoa, interesting! I've never had that reaction. I purposely chose coconut oil for the MCTs, and I would hope it's revving my metabolism (which is glacial), but I've never gotten warm or hot after eating it. That's so cool.

Thanks for all the discussion, everyone! It's definitely a super odd, out-of-the-box thing, but like I said, I didn't want to keep it to myself because I knew there were other people on this board having setpoint issues.

For those looking to try it, I'm pretty sure you could literally use whatever you wanted for the extra SLD calories--the key is that there is NO flavor an hour before, an hour after, or during. You have to hold your nose while knocking back the oil/eating the tallow/whatever.

marthat, I read your whole journal yesterday--so interesting!! Thanks for sharing! I had so much unexpected success so quickly with SLD that I wasn't chronicling. It was only after I hit the 10lb lost mark that I thought, man, I should really pipe up about this.

Comment

yes, coconut oil definitely makes you "hot." It's cooling on the skin, but hot on the inside.

I usually only eat it with food, or use it for teeth cleaning, etc. I honestly hate the taste of the stuff. But, if it's "on" something, I am sometimes ok.

Comment

I've been doing Shangri-La for over three years. Here is a link to a summary of my experience, including a graph of my weight loss:

Shangri-La Diet: Two years of data

The page is a bit out of date. My weight is currently hovering around 199 or 200 lbs. I think the weight gain may be partly explained by the fact that I have not been doing nose-pinching while consuming the flaxseed oil, which does have a flavor and a smell to it. I have recently started doing the nose-pinching, so we'll see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
                          marthat, I read your whole journal yesterday--so interesting!! Thanks for sharing! I had so much unexpected success so quickly with SLD that I wasn't chronicling. It was only after I hit the 10lb lost mark that I thought, man, I should really pipe up about this.
                          Wow - that's a lot of reading! And thanks for posting - it has reminded me that I should get back into the oil for pushing past this setpoint and for getting myself over the hump of Christmas carb-overfeeding...

Comment

It seems like the SLD, as long as you go the CO route and not the sugar-water one, is right in line with what Mary Enig and Sally Fallon are saying in "Eat Fat, Grow Slim".

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                              Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              May as well just do a BP coffee right?
                              To some, that tastes good. I think the whole point of it is to purposely be flavorless. Get calories in which will blunt your hunger later when you go for a meal but doesn't trigger the reward reaction in your brain because it has no discernible taste.
                              I've done a fair amount of "looking into" SLD in my slow migration across 4HB, Paleo, Primal, etc. type diets (the SLD was a "lost chapter" in Four Hour Body book, fwiw) and while I've never gotten to the point of taking "oil shots" there are some concepts that are at least interesting.

Somewhat coincidentally, I read about BP coffee here about the same time I stumbled across "Platinum calories" over on a SLD forum. Link: Platinum Calories check-in

So, yeah...there's a fair amount of crossover there. And, I do love my BPC (which when consumed in isolation also qualifies as "Platinum calories") and the appetite suppression is quite noticeable for me!
                              Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                              Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                It seems like the SLD, as long as you go the CO route and not the sugar-water one, is right in line with what Mary Enig and Sally Fallon are saying in "Eat Fat, Grow Slim".
                                That was my take, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X