Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
    This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!
    Perhaps some refined coconut oil instead of the virgin oil.
    It is almost entirely tasteless.

    Walnut oil IME has loads of taste. Very nutty.
    I use it for salad dressing once in a while and have to keep it refrigerated to keep it from going rancid...
    It's a bit of a fragile oil IMO... in that it's prone to going bad quickly kind of like some raw nuts themselves.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      I still sort of feel like it's the stupidest thing even though I know for sure it worked for me. I can't wrap my head around it. XD
      Sometimes there just isn't any good science to explain certain effects and you just have go with your gut.

      And yes, pun definitely intended.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
        This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!
        Yep, disgusting stuff. If you could get your hands on some good quality macademia nut oil, that might be a good one to use, but it'd get costly quick. However, there's expeller pressed "refined" coconut oil that has almost no flavor that you could also use which could be a great choice as well. It was specifically designed for folks who wanted to use coconut oil but couldn't take the taste.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Leida View Post
          The best thing is that I can enjoy a lot of fruit now without spiraling into shaky dizzy hunger and don't have to fixate on endless protein to stabilize myself.
          All and all, I think that measured intake of oil and only oil before meals helps blood sugar a huge deal.
          That's great news, Leida. I know you love your fruit and being able to have it without that ensuing spiral is pretty big in itself! I consider that alone strong evidence for the effectiveness of the oil. I hope it continues for you.
          Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

          - Robert Louis Stevenson

          Comment


          • Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            Walnut oil IME has loads of taste. Very nutty.
            And a 4:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Some say that's the optimal level for health, but if you can go even lower, I'd still think you could achieve some benefits from that. Also, it's enough omegas to give me pause about keeping it long term because of rancid it's issues.

            I agree with you on using it occasionally for salad dressings and sauces being perfectly fine, but I wouldn't go using it as a "nutritional supplement" almost every day.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

            Comment


            • I have a bottle of NOW macadamia nut oil and it's good stuff. Coconut is my number one, but it's the next best thing. Pretty low PUFA. (more moof than poof)
              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

              - Robert Louis Stevenson

              Comment


              • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!
                Have you tried just pinching your nose and then rinsing your mouth so you can use raw coconut oil? I've been doing that and have not been tasting or smelling it at all. It helps a lot to use warm water for the after rinse and then to wipe off my lips with a towel before using my nose again. I don't actually clip my nose but just focus on all my air coming from my mouth for a few minutes. I have messed up a few times when someone tries to talk to me during that first minute, but overall it works fine.
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                Comment


                • Ya, I think coconut oil is the only safe oil. I just haven't seen any refined in my stores. I'd have to order it. I used unrefined and plugged my nose... worked pretty well. Maybe I will try it again.

                  Comment


                  • I'm using MCT oil, and I've only done this two days so far. Taking it in the evening, after a little more than an hour after dinner.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
                      If you decide to give coconut oil a shot, expeller pressed refined coconut oil is what you'll want to use. It's completely tasteless. I've taken virgin coconut oil straight before, and I didn't find it to be easy. I have no problem with the refined stuff though.
                      Thanks PaleoGirl, I will definitely remember that. I'm very happy with my results after three days down 3.5 pounds. I know some of that is water weight because I slashed carbs to very low. That said, I was still happy stepping on he scale this morning.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                        Ya, I think coconut oil is the only safe oil. I just haven't seen any refined in my stores. I'd have to order it. I used unrefined and plugged my nose... worked pretty well. Maybe I will try it again.
                        Don't forget to try the Vitamin Shoppe and GNC (if you have either of those where you are).

                        I got some Jarrow brand refined there (vitamin shoppe) and not only was it cheaper than
                        stupid Whole Foods, but it was COMPLETELY flavorless.

                        Julie

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          And a 4:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Some say that's the optimal level for health, but if you can go even lower, I'd still think you could achieve some benefits from that. Also, it's enough omegas to give me pause about keeping it long term because of rancid it's issues.

                          I agree with you on using it occasionally for salad dressings and sauces being perfectly fine, but I wouldn't go using it as a "nutritional supplement" almost every day.
                          Yeah.
                          I store it chilled to keep it from turning.
                          The first bottle I got I didn't and it turned rancid in a pretty short time for what you'd think an oil would be safe to keep.
                          A couple of months.

                          I use walnut for dressing and pestos... cold process only... or maybe a warm dressing in a pan.
                          Nothing where it would actually get cooking hot. Not willing to go there with it.
                          I don't think it's stable enough.

                          Delicious though.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • Hmm, seem like I have been doing this diet without even knowing about it! I take a spoonful of tasteless codfish oil at Noon and my first meal of the day a couple of hours later I usually eat 100 gram of fresh, almost tasteless low fat cheese and some bland raw broccoli. Hey, I am also doing the Shangri-La diet, that's pretty cool...
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

                            - Schopenhauer

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                              Don't forget to try the Vitamin Shoppe and GNC (if you have either of those where you are).

                              I got some Jarrow brand refined there (vitamin shoppe) and not only was it cheaper than
                              stupid Whole Foods, but it was COMPLETELY flavorless.

                              Julie
                              Thank you, Julie!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
                                I'm using MCT oil, and I've only done this two days so far. Taking it in the evening, after a little more than an hour after dinner.
                                Good for you! I tried it and had major major stomach pain!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X