Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have any of you considered combining the Shangri-la oil diet with some low-food-reward meals, a la Stephan Guyenet? Really nutritious meals, but as bland as you can make them. No salt, no spice, no sauces. I did it with soup for an experiment. Good results, but impossible to keep up forever.

    Comment


    • Yesterday I had MCT oil with no problem. Today I had such terrible stomach pain I couldn't go back to work after lunch. I curled up in a ball for a few hrs until it subsided. Maybe I didn't have enough water with it? I know this can be a side effect, but I can handle a lot of coconut oil and had no problem yesterday so not sure why today?! OUCH!

      Comment


      • Today I experienced a 1.5lb weight gain. I'm glad I was warned to expect it otherwise I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out where I messed up!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
          Yesterday I had MCT oil with no problem. Today I had such terrible stomach pain I couldn't go back to work after lunch. I curled up in a ball for a few hrs until it subsided. Maybe I didn't have enough water with it? I know this can be a side effect, but I can handle a lot of coconut oil and had no problem yesterday so not sure why today?! OUCH!
          healthy 11, I have also experienced these severe cramps, so I cut back the oil a bit. However I have finally put two and two together about my lack of sleep. My insomnia started when I started the MCT oil, so I am going to change oils. mark did a post a while ago about the added energy in MCT oil, and he found that he was buzzed...... so I think that this has been my problem this last week.
          Anyway tonight will be the big test - if I sleep or not !!!
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

          ...small steps....

          Comment


          • Primal Gwamma - what oil will you use?
            Height - 5'8"
            SW - 191
            CW - 162
            GW - 155

            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

            Comment


            • CC I have just had some coconut oil, but I melted it in boiling water - not sure if I should have done that ????
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

              ...small steps....

              Comment


              • Just got home from a meeting, so nothing all evening. I hadn't achieved an SLD oilshot yet today, so I took one now and will just brush my teeth in an hour and go to bed. I thought about taking coconut oil, but I don't want the energy burst to keep me up all night. I did olive oil instead.

                Comment


                • I think I'm going to join you all. I read this book about a year and a half ago and tried it for only a few days before getting distracted with other ideas. I'm at a sticking point though and sick of always trying to get rid of this last bit. I know my problem - I just eat too much! It is just hard to function when you're hungry all the time, so I eat and don't lose a thing of course

                  I'm curious how this will go long-term though. Will my set point go right back up after I stop? The author implies this to be the case which is a bummer. I wonder though if a person (like most of us) is eating a nutrient dense diet that is fully nourishing us would the weight still come back?

                  I'll be using raw unrefined coconut oil with my nose plugged and sometimes cod-liver oil with nose plugged. I've just finished PHD too and have been eating in those approximate ratios.
                  PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                  Comment


                  • Does anyone else get fatigue issues from coconut oil instead of energy? I get exhausted when I take any coconut oil.

                    How about the extra Omega 6 fat intake from consuming light olive oil?

                    I am considering trying this just for fun, but don't want to mess myself up at all
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                    Comment


                    • Seth Roberts speaking on food and the brain:

                      "What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

                      Interesting stuff! Maybe this will clear up a few of the questions we've been asking...
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                      Comment


                      • I'm thinking about using walnut oil... high in Omega 3 and it's refined so no taste. What do you think? I have a bottle in my cupboard (would normally use to make mayo). I don't want something high in Omega 6, MCT oil messes me up, and I haven't found any refined coconut oil. I could order it online, though. So, thoughts on walnut oil?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Seth Roberts speaking on food and the brain:

                          "What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

                          Interesting stuff! Maybe this will clear up a few of the questions we've been asking...
                          Just watched this... so flaxseed oil is a good one. Good for brain health.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                            Just watched this... so flaxseed oil is a good one. Good for brain health.
                            I'm still wary of flax seed myself, due to its high oxidation rate (lots of PUFAs), extremely high phytoestrogen levels (likely as much or more than soy), and the fact that it contains ALA omega-3s which we convert only about 1% of what we consume to bioavailable omega-3s in our bodies.

                            But decide for yourself. He certainly did!

                            To my mind, cod liver oil (especially the fermented stuff) might be really good for omega-3s and brain health (since he says some people had the same benefits from supplementing fish oil as he did with the flaxseed oil). But then, both of these oils have LOTS of flavor and seem to go against his "flavorless" mantra.
                            Last edited by Drumroll; 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                            Comment


                            • You can take any calories, in theory, as long as they are taken in a flavourless way. So swimmers nose clips are popular with those using flavourful oils or other non-oil foods. Either flax or cod liver oil would definitely require nose-clipping, and the clips would need to stay on until after some really good mouth rinsing with water or slightly salty water. Or brushing teeth with baking soda to remove oil residue and residual taste.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                                I'm still wary of flax seed myself, due to its high oxidation rate (lots of PUFAs), extremely high phytoestrogen levels (likely as much or more than soy), and the fact that it contains ALA omega-3s which we convert only about 1% of what we consume to bioavailable omega-3s in our bodies.

                                But decide for yourself. He certainly did!

                                To my mind, cod liver oil (especially the fermented stuff) might be really good for omega-3s and brain health (since he says some people had the same benefits from supplementing fish oil as he did with the flaxseed oil). But then, both of these oils have LOTS of flavor and seem to go against his "flavorless" mantra.
                                I agree... I am freaked out by most oils and that's why I'm having a hard time deciding which one to use. I think the only one I really feel comfortable with is coconut. I just need to find some that's refined.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X