No announcement yet.

Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks heatseeker - I was taking two doses at once because I didn't like having to have 2 2-hr windows. I've been reading the forums for some ideas... I may try kefir or full fat Fage yogurt (1 tbsp) with 1 tbsp of oil (may switch to flax or olive oil for now) and see if that helps. I may also try butter - I can easily eat 2 tbsp of that on rice cakes, so maybe I have a little more tolerance/digestive capacity for that already than 2 tbsp of coconut oil

Comment

• My 3rd say in, and I am starting to see - or I hope at least- the first effects. I am running low on CO, so I am doing light tasting olive oil now. My afternoon hunger was more mild yesterday, and I had easier time at supper/after supper. Still using gum after meals to obtain 'closure'. More importantly, I woke up this morning around 4, as usual, brushed my teeth, cooked 3 lunches, 1 breakfast, almost forgot to take my shot of oil around 5 before setting out to the journey to work, and then it occurred to me that I had neither hunger pangs, nor wanted to pilfer any of the foods I was handling, including left over meatzza, grapefruit, coconut milk, cucumbers, baby tomatoes and nuts. It is 7 in the morning and instead of climbing the office walls, I am working quietly without watching the clock or obsessing over the fact that I have already eaten my breakfast and the next meal is not for another many, many, many minutes.

I am thinking that contrary to the thought that "Oh, lord, here we go, I am dieting again', I might actually stop worrying about dieting, and finally just eat when hungry, stop when full, and not gain weight endlessly. It's good to have the PB/paleo background, so the thought of missing meals doesn't freak you out. If I can start skipping breakfasts again, I would be so happy, because I swear, I have had enough eggs to last me to the end of my life.

The biggest test is coming, the dreaded weekend.

I have to mention that I am reading the book as well. I am such a sucker for new hope but the mindful eating concept tells us not to be skeptical and visualize the success rather than failure, so I am trying to work through the negative thoughts that it is a placebo, that's it's not going to work like every other one of 100 things I tried etc, etc, etc.
      Last edited by Leida; 01-11-2013, 07:03 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• I havent kept up completely, so I am sorry if this has been asked/answered already.

When I use to do the bulletproof coffee, with CO & butter, and then sometimes just CO.... I found that it made me full. So I use to use this to help me transition into IF with one in the a.m. And if I wanted to fast longer, I would have another for lunch.

It worked great. Too great maybe even, as I was not hunger, and I was full on less. So it was nothing to be quite full on low calories. When I would eat, I was going for HF/LC and didnt realize I was also getting lower and lower on energy. I missed the part about carb refeeds once a week. Weight loss was pretty much NIL during this time. And that was 800 - 1200 calories.

So anyways, my question I guess is on the low calorie part, for extended periods. Where are you ending up calorie wise for the day, and how many days in a row are you doing this? Maybe had I taken the BP coffee for breakfast, but when I broke fast ate more normally like the 3 way split I am eating now. But my thing is, that is couple hundred extra calories when I could also use the CO to cook my veggies later in the day.

I had read somewhere though, that CO... and I don't remember how or why it was worded, but like for tracking and counting purposes, it is more like that it counts about half? Wishful thinking?

Anyways, this is very interesting. I do okay keeping my calories in check if it is just a calorie thing. And I do have CO daily later in the day anyways that I use to cook with, so I am getting my daily dose of it already. Well maybe. Hard to say for sure I guess. But I guess the whole low calories and slowing metabolism thing still presents questions in my mind. The whole starvation mode thing I guess. I had read just the other day that while it is sort of mislabeled there is some truth as the body sees muscles as more dispensable over fat, it wants to keep the fat reserves for famine... or something like that.

Ok babbling now. Sorry. I guess I was curious about 1. your daily calories 2. how many days you are doing this
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• How low carb was your low carb? How mch protein? Shouldn't require carb refeeds if you are in ketosis.

Comment

• Gopintos, I intend to do it daily as long as it works, and I don't really want to count calories. I doubt that my food intake will ever go under 1,500 even if all I ate was pure oil. I just want to be food and hunger 'normal', eat 3 meals a day & don't think about food in between & don't gain weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
              How low carb was your low carb? How mch protein? Shouldn't require carb refeeds if you are in ketosis.
              I tried to stay under 50. And protein was anywhere from about 75 - 100 or so. As far as refeeds, I didnt think I needed to because I wasnt exercising. I didnt have the energy to exercise really.

But this is from the curve and I read the first part I guess, and not the last sentence:

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
              Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

So I did this for many months. Once I added fruits and starches and more veggies, I felt tons better. And now my calories are back up to 1300 - 1500, and weight loss is happening again. So I dont want to go back, until this stops working. But I was just thinking the extra CO might be good for me, but I am trying to watch my fat % at the moment. I fast 16/8 usually w/o difficulty now. Sometimes I still have a few 1200 days so then I try to eat on the upper end the next day. Calories are just so weird though. Cuz I can do a low calorie day of tators and usually have a weight loss.

So anyways, I was just curious.

Comment

• I think the whole point of this diet is that the oil calories somehow don't really "count". And they naturally lead you to eat less. So in that way they sort of do "count", but not consciously. In other words, it's a tool to relieve you of the MANUAL and CONSCIOUS management of your caloric intake.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I think the whole point of this diet is that the oil calories somehow don't really "count".
                  I wish I could remember where I read this about CO. It's just one more of those things that I read, I make a mental note and form my idea, and then move on. So I don't remember the source... or the WHY. But basically that is what I read. Maybe it is because it is medium-chained? that it counts for half the calories? I don't know. But that would be awesome, wouldn't it? I always kind of enjoyed it in my coffee. Kind of took the edge off. But when you are watching calories and watching macros, it just all adds up and I made a point to cut out the extra fats like that. Save it for my veggies later in the day.

I know... don't count. But I do. And probably will until I get the weight off. And then spot check now and then after that. I probably won't if my pants dont get tight, just have to see when I get there.

Comment

• If you are tracking the counts, I will just input the oil the way it comes and not half the quantities or anything like that. The idea is to see if scheduling the oil 'shots' in a flavorless window leads to the weight loss as opposite to ingesting it with flavored food.

I have to say that buttered tea never sated me much. If you accept the SLD hypothesis this is because the flavor of tea is associated with 'something' I always eat with tea!

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                      I tried to stay under 50. And protein was anywhere from about 75 - 100 or so. As far as refeeds, I didnt think I needed to because I wasnt exercising. I didnt have the energy to exercise really.

But this is from the curve and I read the first part I guess, and not the last sentence:

0-50 grams/day Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
                      Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

So I did this for many months. Once I added fruits and starches and more veggies, I felt tons better. And now my calories are back up to 1300 - 1500, and weight loss is happening again. So I dont want to go back, until this stops working. But I was just thinking the extra CO might be good for me, but I am trying to watch my fat % at the moment. I fast 16/8 usually w/o difficulty now. Sometimes I still have a few 1200 days so then I try to eat on the upper end the next day. Calories are just so weird though. Cuz I can do a low calorie day of tators and usually have a weight loss.

So anyways, I was just curious.

It's possible you were never quite in ketosis. Some have to go lower than 50, like 30. And you "tried" to stay under 50 . The thing about ketosis, as I understand it, is that your body doesn't need as many of those nutrients from veggies and fruits, because of the less stress in the body among other things.

Anyway, I was just curious. For me, I'm going for ketosis for a few months. I'm actually hoping it will help my short term memory, which is crappy for my 27 years!

Comment

• Ashley, I stayed under 30 g total, under 25 g net carbs for a month, limiting protein under 100 g for the full measure, and felt under water for the entire period, not to mention missed vegetables and fruit. Ketosis is just not the way to live for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by AshleyL View Post
                          It's possible you were never quite in ketosis. Some have to go lower than 50, like 30. And you "tried" to stay under 50 . The thing about ketosis, as I understand it, is that your body doesn't need as many of those nutrients from veggies and fruits, because of the less stress in the body among other things.

Anyway, I was just curious. For me, I'm going for ketosis for a few months. I'm actually hoping it will help my short term memory, which is crappy for my 27 years!
                          Yal I don't know if I was or not for sure. I just pulled up a few days from end of July, and my carbs are 27, 23, 28, 12...My 12 day was 732 calories for the day. Those other days were 800 and 900 calorie days. And weight loss crawled to a stop during that period of time. Proteins were like 59, 84, 63, 55.

But I know it works for some, and for all kinds of reasons OTHER than weight loss. So I am not knocking it. But for me, my goal is weight loss, and it just wasnt working. I just was going through the motions most days. But I was not hungry at all.

So anyways, I can't even remember now why I posted. I was happily just watching haha. I think I was thinking I could add more CO back in w/o it adversely affecting my total fat count for the day. Hoping I guess.

Comment

• gopintos: in response to your earlier post regarding calorie counts --
                            I track my calorie intake in MFP. This is what I have recorded so far:
                            Mon - 1251 (regular diet)
                            Tue - 1306 (regular diet)
                            Wed - 1227 (SLD)
                            Thur - 1058 (SLD)

Note: calories on SLD include 2 daily Tbs of CO.

I plan to continue this until either (1) I break though my plateau, or (2) I reach my goal.

Comment

• Any one notice a change in their sleep? DH and I have been taking oil shots for 5 days and we are sleeping like we've been drugged.
                              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by beckie View Post
                                gopintos: in response to your earlier post regarding calorie counts --
                                I track my calorie intake in MFP. This is what I have recorded so far:
                                Mon - 1251 (regular diet)
                                Tue - 1306 (regular diet)
                                Wed - 1227 (SLD)
                                Thur - 1058 (SLD)

Note: calories on SLD include 2 daily Tbs of CO.

I plan to continue this until either (1) I break though my plateau, or (2) I reach my goal.
                                Thank you. I think that is where I was trying to go with this. When I increase fat, my calories are naturally lower. And on lower calories, I don't lose weight. But......... my thinking now sort of is, when I do eat, I don't have to restrict myself to lower carb foods. My calories could come from resistant starch and fruits and meat, and get my calories back up where they should be. The CO in the mornings would ensure that I push through my IF & make sure I get my CO in. My meats and eggs have a number of fats already, so I limit my other extra fats including CO. So I probably am not getting my 2TBL now that I am thinking about it, and I know that 2TBL per day is recommended from a number of health gurus.

Comment

Working...
                                X