No announcement yet.

fiber- a myth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating primally, I still eat quite a bit of leafy greens, vegetables, and about 1 piece of fruit a day. It's less fiber than what I used to get - pre-primal I often made bean soups, chili, brown rice, lentils, etc. And despite the drop in fiber, I find I'm just as regular as I always was. And I have a LOT less bloating and gas.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I still think fiber is somewhat necessary. Though I do think that CW has totally blown the need for fiber out of proportion. 30 - 40 grams a day? Hello toilet, goodbye social life.

I probably get maybe ten grams a day now.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Try some probiotics.
        Also, should be able to get all the fibre you need in fruits and vegies if eating enough.
        Last edited by Sue; 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

This thread moved me to sit in for a few words.

I was obsessed with fiber and tended to wring my hands if circumstances had me off my daily uber-fiber cereal that I often would add a bowl or two through the day among other fiber enhancers. So when I cut the carbs drastically down, eliminated the daily cereal, I got off kilter and it was at times difficult. Then when I went whole hog paleo (4 weeks now?) it was even more difficult until I stumbled upon the daily apple and got turned on to spiking up the oils, even in the coffee and other adjustments....and after a week-10 days, I think things are going smoothly. Check out the Bristol chart.

And BTW that squatty potty I discovered here and ordered is the real deal. Frankly, for most my adult life I worked a field forester in Alaska and it never dawned on me why things transgressed so quickly out in the woods versus the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sefton View Post
            And BTW that squatty potty I discovered here and ordered is the real deal. Frankly, for most my adult life I worked a field forester in Alaska and it never dawned on me why things transgressed so quickly out in the woods versus the toilet.
            I, too, live in Alaska and always figured things moved more quickly because they HAD to, to keep from our most tender parts being eaten up by mosquitoes! Haha. But yeah, squatting works.
            High Weight: 225
            Weight at start of Primal: 189
            Current Weight: 174
            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this book and website. This guys work has been endorsed by Mark. I think it makes some good points as well.

Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

My digestive system has been thanking me for backing off on the large volumes of fibrous veggies I used to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                I'm surprised no one has mentioned this book and website. This guys work has been endorsed by Mark. I think it makes some good points as well.

My digestive system has been thanking me for backing off on the large volumes of fibrous veggies I used to eat.
                Seconding this. Great website.
                Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

Seconding this. Great website.
                  Durp.

Comment

You guys are all missing the fact that most people don't eliminate in the right position. We're designed to squat. When you sit upright, you clamp off your colon. Look at this: The Squatty Potty Toilet Stool I made my own and it works great. Squatting is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                      It is. Uhm, I forgot to add that I use a splash or two of balsamic vinegar when the fancy strikes me or if the pulp is a bit on the dry side. A bit of skin is Okay as well, but too much plugs up my magic bullet. My guests usually love it with sweet potato chips as well as a dip.
                      Awesome - thanks! I have an eggplant that's waiting to be used. I'll make this tomorrow!
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by abstract View Post
                        Squatting is the answer.
                        Not for everyone!

I tried out this miraculous squatting position many years ago when I first started having constipation problems and it never made any difference...over the years I've revisted it, but I notice that my BM have zero to do with the position I'm in. Maybe it works for some folks (in theory, it does sound like a good idea) but in practice, for me, it was a dud.

Comment

The fiber in things like lettuce, fruit, broccoli seem to work well for me, or at least it's all agreeable to my digestion. The fiber in a bran muffin stops me up horribly. This is something I noticed a decade before going paleo, though.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            The fiber in things like lettuce, fruit, broccoli seem to work well for me, or at least it's all agreeable to my digestion. The fiber in a bran muffin stops me up horribly. This is something I noticed a decade before going paleo, though.
                            This is probably due to the difference in fiber from most grains vs. veggies. Grains are mostly insoluble fiber which will add bulk to your stool and somewhat limits blood sugar spikes by slowing down the absorption of carbs and other substances. Veggies are mostly soluble fiber which serves a range of metabolic effects in the gut, most notably, as a prebiotic. The gut will actually ferment soluble fiber (so you actually get like one calorie per gram if I recall correctly) which feeds the gut flora in your intestine and assists in the production of fatty acids in the body including butyrate. This is why soluble fiber is often referred to as a PREbiotic. It doesn't provide gut bacteria directly, but it helps keep what you have healthy and functioning properly.

If you never ate ANY fiber, it'd be hard to feed those little buggers in your gut. The fact that you do better with one type over the other is probably a sign that your gut flora is utilizing it well.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                              Veggies are mostly soluble fiber which serves a range of metabolic effects in the gut, most notably, as a prebiotic. The gut will actually ferment soluble fiber
                              Couple of mistakes here:

The majority of vegetables are comprised of cellulose, which is INdigestible fiber. Indigestible fiber CANNOT be digested because humans lack the enzyme, cellulase, which digests it. The gut is forced to ferment INsoluble fiber since it can't be digested.

On the other hands, starches like peeled potatoes, white rice, oatmeal, and things like peeled/deseeded squashes and the pectin in peeled apples are examples of soluble fiber, which is digested. This is the type of fiber that feeds beneficial gut flora.

Comment

Any practicing paleo/primal eater is, by the very nature of the diet, most likely getting reduced intake of fiber. They can probably meet their entire need for soluble fiber from veggies alone anyway. Research seems to be baring out that we need soluble fiber for gut health, but not as much as we used to think and CW would tell us.

Besides, "there are a number of other vegetables that also contain high amounts of soluble fiber. Brussels sprouts are high in soluble fiber with 2.0 g per 1/2-cup cooked serving. A 1-cup serving of raw red cabbage contains 0.9 g of soluble fiber. Asparagus is also high in soluble fiber, with 1.7 g per 1/2-cup cooked serving. A 1/2 cup of cooked turnips contains 1.7 g of soluble fiber. A 1-cup serving of both raw chopped celery and raw chopped peppers contain 1.0 g of soluble fiber."

What Kind Of Vegetables Contain Soluble Fiber? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Keeping your veggie intake at decent levels will provide adequate soluble fiber in your diet.

Also, more food for thought: Medical Research Council*-*News*-*Leafy greens protect the gut’s immune system

It seems that a compound (indole-3-carbinol) typically found in leafy, green, and fibrous vegetable was found to be protective of immune cells in the gut and helped spur the formation and maitinance of healthy gut bacteria.

Comment

Working...
                                X