No announcement yet.

Krill oil brand recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well there is quite a bit of debate about our evolutionary past including cold vs warm climate and which times are most relevant to our study of human diet. Some researchers seem to point to our brains as proof that we had ready access to a lot of DHA. Could be that we evolved along coast rifts with lots of access to shellfish.

I may regret quoting Jack, but the data is there in this case.....I see your crazy peat and raise you a crazy kruse!

"In 2005, Dr. Cunnane found that eating one kilogram (1/2 pound) of shellfish from mollusks and crustaceans is all that is needed to meet these requirements to fuel human brain growth. Shellfish happens to be found in shallow water sources and was known to be abundant in the Rift Zone coastal fossils. Cunnane’s data also was in line with what Cordain reported from 1999 to 2005, but Dr. Cunnane went further with this data.

He showed that it would have been impossible to form the size of the current human brain without a seafood source because DHA was the critical element to its construction. Meat does not contain enough DHA to form a human brain. This implies paleo alone is not enough. This is why the internet forms are loaded with people not hitting their targets. The evidence for that is found in the brain to body ratio’s of all land based mammals on this planet. It seems today many are blinded to this science. This insight might have hit the bone collectors or the early paleo supporters, if they had examined closely, what really separates us from primates, instead of assuming what has been published in the literature was factually correct."

BG 5: PARADIGM DRIFTS PARADIGM SHIFTS: EPI-PALEO? | Living an Optimized Life

Bottom line I don't think it hurts to keep taking quality fish oil as long as your refrigerating it and are sure its of good quality. But don't limit your seafood intake based on some hypothesis that you don't need pufa's....there is quite a bit of evidence for keeping seafood in your diet.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Fish oil never trumps shell fish because it does not have the co factors to get the maximum effect of the pi electron clouds. Read BG 13 to find out why DHA is that special........I am and have never been a fan of fish oil supplements. I wrote about that in August of 2011 right before the AHS at UCLA. No one else was talking about this then. Wolf published his book with the crazy fish oil calculator and that is why this topic came up on the Santa Monica pier that day. Fish oil is not something that can replace shellfish/seafood at all. Anyone who says fish oil is equivalent to real seafood gets a thumbs down from me and the science we think is true today.
      Last edited by DigiSurg; 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

humans traveled and traded, and that included seaweed on other food items. For example, rocks for clovis points found at McFaddin Beach (Gulf of Mexico) Texas:
        McFaddin Beach
        McFaddin Beach

Sources of rock used to manufacture artifacts during the Paleoindian period, including such distant sources as Knife River Flint (30, North Dakota), Weeping Water Creek (59, Nebraska), Spanish Diggings (44, Wyoming), Minnelusa (35, Wyoming), and Chuska (5, New Mexico). Source: Stright, Lear, and Bennett (1999:Fig. 10).
        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I've stopped supplementing fish oil based on concerns over oxidation and shelf life, since I eat quite a bit of wild-caught fish and shellfish already. While our brains may have evolved on a diet that included fish, there is certainly room for discussion over dietary needs for ω-3 of healthy adults today. Perhaps the issue in "getting more ω-3s into the diet" is less about ω-3s per se and more about ω-6s: the SAD is so reliant on nasty industrial oils that whatever range of healthful ω-6:ω-3 we may have consumed in our recent past is jacked to hell. So the simple presription would be: cut down on industrial oils and processed fats (ω-6), eat wild fish and shellfish when possible (ω-3), make your meat selections grass-fed ruminants when possible (ω-3), and if you feel the need to supplement fish oil be sure it is of the highest quality.

Comment

Nobody said it trumps it.....but, we are talking to an individual who says their significant other WILL NOT eat seafood of any sort. In that case finding a good source of supplemental DHA may be the next best thing.

Comment

There is no actual causative evidence that you need to eat fish to be healthy. How much omega 3 do you need? You do really need ANY? Breast milk has very little omega 3, yet your brain still holds lots of it, which implies you don't need very much (if any) omega 3 in your diet for your brain to function and it very well may simply be cellular replication happening in your brain. If you don't like fish, don't eat fish. You don't have to supplement with fish oil, either. This is some new marketing craze. Simply source the best quality meat you can. Quality dairy, red meat and eggs probably have enough omega 3 for your "needs," assuming you need any at all. That's my opinion.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

"Needs" are quite different from what is optimal. You don't "need" to eat carbs do you choco? But, if your performing several glycolytic activities a week then it may be optimal for you to eat a bit more of them than someone who doesn't perform those activities right?

You may not "need" O3, but I would argue that they do optimize our function. As to breast milk....thats a bit of a loaded claim. When the mother increases her intake there is an increase in the amount found in her breast milk. Infants fed from high DHA mothers show better sleep patterns and higher mental processing scores by age 4 (IQ).

Will dietary omega-3 fatty acids change the c... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1984] - PubMed - NCBI

Higher maternal plasma docosahexaenoic acid d... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Maternal PUFA Status but Not Prenatal Methylmercury Exposure Is Associated with Children

Maternal Supplementation With Very-Long-Chain n-3 Fatty Acids During Pregnancy and Lactation Augments Children

I know it's becoming in vogue right now to ditch the fish oils, and the whole Robb Wolfe calculator bit has been thrown out, but IMO there is still ample evidence that its optimal to include seafood in your diet. Some more info here:

DR. STEPHEN CUNNANE PART 1 - YouTube
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-29-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  Breast milk has very little omega 3, yet your brain still holds lots of it.
                  Yeah, if you are basing this off analysis of the breast milk of American mothers it's going to be way off. American mom breast milk is way low on O3 because American moms don't eat enough O3.

Analysis of breast milk of moms in other countries, and especially the milk from the "hunter-gatherers" still hanging around, show that the normal O3 amount in breast milk is huge.

Comment

Working...
                  X