Why do I even bother?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
    And when I'm forced to talk about my diet, as previously mentioned I never say "paleo", or "primal". I usually just say I eat natural foods: meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds.
    That's actually what I said and then someone added "and grains, right?"

"The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

It could just be Denver, but I've had the exact opposite experience out here. We have a couple paleo food trucks that do good business, and most folks I've talked to are very receptive to the idea. I find myself warning people about the dangers of the Cordain/Crossfit brand of paleo than anything else.
      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
        It could just be Denver, but I've had the exact opposite experience out here. We have a couple paleo food trucks that do good business, and most folks I've talked to are very receptive to the idea. I find myself warning people about the dangers of the Cordain/Crossfit brand of paleo than anything else.
        Sounds like your community is just a lot more receptive than my family has been.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
          Hah. My sister is married to a vegan and now eats vegan at least five days out of the week. So... Any talk about soy being evil is about the worst thing I could do at that.
          This part I just don't get, because on the surface, I think vegan seems much weirder than primal. However, there are a lot of well-publicized celebrity vegans and we are a celebrity obsessed culture, so maybe they get a pass?
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Veganism is also seen as a moral decision, almost like a religious choice, and we are generally far more reluctant to criticize people's beliefs than we are something we perceive as simply a diet.

Although I have to say, people say some really stupid stuff to vegetarians too.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

While I stated reasons why some may no be receptive I really havent come across anyone claiming it didnt sound healthy. The only real complaint is that it sounds hard.....Well you know what....change can be tough. Thats life. So put on your big girl pants and get to it!.....The last part actually works best if you are speaking to a male that is 2-3 times your size

Comment

I wouldn't be here if all people are like most of you I got here cos someone explained it to me. I took a while to think it over, and decided it made sense. So while they may not believe at first, one day, they may just get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bron View Post
                  I wouldn't be here if all people are like most of you I got here cos someone explained it to me. I took a while to think it over, and decided it made sense. So while they may not believe at first, one day, they may just get it.
                  Nah, I'm done arguing with the family. Even if it's they who bring up the topic first. Magic my friend, it's all magic!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    Yeh they ask but usually they're wanting to hear about some quick magic formula.
                    Maybe it's like asking how yor day is going, when they just want to hear,"great, good or fine" Nobody expects a long play-byplay of ones day.

Comment

I just say that my body is too sensitive to grains and processed food so I dropped them and I exercise. That seems to be as much as they want to hear and their eyes don't glaze over too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                        Where I live poor health is kind of celebrated. And being healthy is frowned upon. BTW I visited your neck of the woods a couple of years ago and loved it! That was the first time I ever saw people wearing VFF's.
                        “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

I don't tell anyone that I'm "primal" or "paleo", mostly because the majority of people wouldn't know what the heck it was . If I tell people I don't eat grains or sugars (which is pretty much how I sum it up) I do sometimes get the "but grains are healthy!" response.

My friend acted as if my new way of eating was a personal affront to her... cause, you know, she can't feed me crap anymore now. She also tells me that I'll look "skinny and ugly" when I get to my goal weight (which is a BMI of 20 so hardly skinny and scrawny...). When I tell her I used to be that weight and I wasn't skinny, she says "yes, but you're OLDER now" as if that has somehow magically changed my physiology so that what looked fine and not at all skinny when I was 20 will suddenly make me look gaunt now. (It kinda pisses me off... I try not to bring it up with her, but she made some stupid bet with me that I couldn't lose the weight, and stupidly enough I took her up on it because nothing pisses me off more than telling me I can't do something!!).

So yeah, most people wouldn't have a clue what I do nor not as far as eating goes, and I'm happy enough to keep it that way. When I have lost all the excess weight, if people ask what I did, I'll tell them... They'll either be receptive to it or not! (Most likely I'll get comments about being "too skinny" or something ridiculous which is what happened last time I lost weight... and no I wasn't skinny at all, I still had rolls of fat... it's just weight loss around these parts seems threatening to people in some way. It's okay to be naturally thin, but god help you if you've actually gone from overweight to slim!!).

Comment

Drumroll, from the million and a half threads of yours I've read about what the paleo diet does to your social life, I'm inclined to believe your family and friends suck. Get new ones, both.

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                              Drumroll, from the million and a half threads of yours I've read about what the paleo diet does to your social life, I'm inclined to believe your family and friends suck. Get new ones, both.
                              Hah, that would be nice... I've never actually met someone who was a "practicing" paleo and/or primal eater to begin with.

Comment

Answers vary by audience. Last time an obese nurse gawked at me for eating nothing but ham at the free food event, I said, "This is how I LOST 50 pounds.". Last time I turned down some free candy, I just said it gives me huge boils and that's no fun, and that led to how bread makes my joints hurt. People honor decisions geared toward avoiding pain or ugliness, but not in pursuit of optimizing health. It's VERY weird.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X