Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning a New Year's Fast - Anyone Interested?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic, Dizzyorange. Glad you are feeling so good, and that we'll get to overlap our starts with your end. Good luck on your presentation work-together!

I have been eating a little extra today, but all primal stuff so far. Planning on our traditional ice cream sundae as midnight nears, though, so I'll be ending the year with a solid 20% Looking forward to waking up tomorrow with a restful, non-food day ahead of me.

For those of you fasting for a measureable change (weight, blood pressure, sugar levels, ?) consider posting your starting stats tomorrow.

Comment

Count me in, Sabine!

Hi Sabine,

Count me in!!! I've been putting it off for months now and making half-hearted attempts at fasting. (any amount of fasting is beneficial, IMO) But I had already made up my mind to fast starting January 1, 2013 - so finding this post/forum was perfect timing.

Last July (2011) I went on a 60-day water fast with AWESOME results; and weight-wise I went from a size 20 to a tight size 10 (10/12). So yeah....I was so pretty excited with how everything turned out. It went really well for me. Before that time, however, I had NEVER fasted longer than half a day before giving in. I didn't plan on a fast last year - I just got up one day and decided to fast for a month. Then as time went on I extended it to 40 days. As the 40-day mark got closer, I was still going strong and not experiencing any 'genuine' hunger so I decided to go for 60 days. I didn't have any real detox symptoms throughout the fast other than some weakness and lightheaded-ness from time to time if I bent over and stood up too fast. Some days I used lemons or limes in my water and I had blemishes on my skin that totally cleared up - but I didn't even notice until my sister pointed it out one day as we were walking into the store.

Anyway, this post is already WAY TOO long so I'll stop here. I'm new to this forum but I'm really big into the study of natural health and wellness...I just haven't always lived it like I should. So, I'm absolutely thrilled about this fast and wish everyone the best and a blessed New Year!

Comment

Count me in!

The week of holidaying and eating totally threw me off track, and I am determined to fast for the next few days. Starting the fast tomorrow. I am going to think about the exact parameters of my fast (what I will eat/drink) tonight, and report more tomorrow morning!

Comment

I'm ready to start tomorrow~ got my salt and the water and tea~ haven't decided how long, going to listen to my body.

Comment

Hellos to Ripped, L.Renee, and Reallygravity. I think that makes 11.

I am astounded by a 60 day fast. That is definitely in the realm of 'don't try this at home' for me, but I am heartened to hear that you had such a good experience. Did you have any weight rebounding? And is your goal for this fast weight loss or something different?

I made it to midnight (fairly amazing, as I usually hit the hay around 9:00) so my fast has begun! I think I'l have some tea, and go to bed. Looking forward to making this journey with all of you.

Comment

My first fast when I announced it was 48 hours. I started another yesterday and am about 19 and a quarter hours in.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I did 3 very low calorie days (300-500) to prepare for the New Year (29, 30, 31 Dec.), and I woke this am feeling terrific--light and comfortable. I don't 'do' New Year's Eve stuff, so it was no problem at all. This is something I plan to make an annual event--welcome the New Year with a body primed by caloric restriction.

NOTE: I lost weight following the Alternate-Day diet for 2 years, and its developer (Dr. Johnson) says that anything less than 500 cal will provide the same effects for the body as a total fast. I usually aim for about 350 cal when I'm doing this as physically I can't manage no food at all.

Comment

Will join fast Jan 2nd. Wife has a turkey dinner planned for today.
                  55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                  Chest; 41.5
                  Waist; 42
                  Hips; 40
                  Thigh; 22.5
                  Calf; 15
                  Bicep: 13
                  Forearm; 11.5
                  Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                  Chest; 42
                  Waist; 42.5
                  Hips; 39
                  Thigh; 23
                  Calf; 15
                  Bicep: 13
                  Forearm; 11.5
                  Neck; 16

Comment

Emmie, glad your year-end fast went so well. I find it very interesting about less than 500 calories working the same. Maybe that will work for me sometime in the future. Right now I have too many emotional issues with food to eat 'just a little'. It is hard than having nothing for me.

Drumroll, any word on how it went, especially for those in the group who have not fasted before, or much? I always enjoy hearing how people met the various challenges, and even the details of various symptoms, to see what fits in the wide range of normal.

Ez2cy, look forward to having you start up tomorrow. Enjoy your turkey. I'm doing a corned beef dinner for my family tonight- easy to prepare, so that I'm not spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

Comment

Sabine, my initial fast was a real struggle because of how I was forced to eat over the holidays. If you read one of my recent threads, you'd know that my family fights me tooth and nail on this whole primal lifestyle. They did nothing to make it even REMOTELY possible for me while I was visiting them. I basically had to readjust my body to primal eating all over again.

Ugh. I enjoy this lifestyle and just wish my family could accept it as a part of who I am now. I don't know why they insist on fighting it so much.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

It IS hard coming off a bout of SAD eating. (Not to mention family issues. And, as I recall, even your room mate gives you grief. hang in there.) It is incredible how invested in other people's eating habits so many humans seem to be. And it really seems impossible to change their minds- they have to come to the realization on their own, even if it is just to butt the hell out. It has made me very conscious of not pushing primal for others. I don't want to be the same kind of jerk in reverse (even though I, of course, am RIGHT! )

I hope this fast is more of a pleasant experience.

I've had a good start to my fast. A little bit of indulgence last night, but nothing that should make it painful to fast. Started off with my various waters and tea this morning, did a cold bath, and some dry skin brushing, and just got back from a short walk with the dogs. I feel invigorated. I am planning on only doing slow walking as my physical exertion during the fast. (Not that I am much of an exerciser in any case.)
                        Last edited by Sabine; 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think walking and doing light cardio are fine on a fast. Weightlifting should be saved until the end of the fast to break with a meal sometime afterwards.

Yeah, my first fast was more of a cleansing fast for me than anything else... Due to how crappy I ate this holiday season. I didn't actually gain any weight from it at all, but I felt like shit. And sorry if this is TMI, but my digestive system hated me the whole time. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            Hellos to Ripped, L.Renee, and Reallygravity. I think that makes 11.

I am astounded by a 60 day fast. That is definitely in the realm of 'don't try this at home' for me, but I am heartened to hear that you had such a good experience. Did you have any weight rebounding? And is your goal for this fast weight loss or something different?

I made it to midnight (fairly amazing, as I usually hit the hay around 9:00) so my fast has begun! I think I'l have some tea, and go to bed. Looking forward to making this journey with all of you.

Sabine -

The fast last year was wonderful - I learned that it was really about mind over matter. I had never realized how much our thoughts influence our actions, even though I should have. I was around an enormous amount of food during the entire fast and I wasn't even phased by it. I had a new-found spirit and determination that made my comittment to the fast SO much easier.

But AFTER the fast ended....I went back to my old eating habits, so yes...MAJOR rebounding, weight gain, swollen ankles and legs...the whole nine! Even after I said I wouldn't go back to eating crappy! I just couldn't see myself having done that long of a fast and totally detoxing my system just to return to old habits - but that's exactly what I did. So this new fast is an 'intro' to the diet and lifestyle that I am switching over to. And my main reasons for fasting are to detox my body and lose weight. I don't have a set timeframe for this fast, I plan on just taking it one day at a time and guaging how I feel.

Comment

Hi all~ just checking in~ good day to start a fast

Comment

I am IN! In the car right now, back from our new years getaway in the Outer Banks, and officially entering our 5th hour of doing nothing really. Gives much time to think about FOOD! Though despite a half hard boiled eggs (leftover from my toddler's lunch) i am doing Ok. Got my water bottle with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. I don't plan to keep on eating calories, just tea, water etc and we'll see where i end up. I have fasted about 24hrs twice before, both times during transatlantic flights, so pretty easy to sleep thru since the food at hand is far from enticing!!
                                I have been doing about 16/8 for two weeks and i am interested in incorporating longer fasts to kickstart fat loss and help with body reco. I am 5'5 for 124 lbs but mostly skinny fat
                                Happy new year and looking fwd to reading all of the personal experiments!
                                Last edited by froggie; 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
                                My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Comment

Working...
                                X