Fruit - The Nasty Bits.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit - The Nasty Bits.

I understand orange peels are worth eating, and perhaps banana peels - if organic and washed, etc. What about pumpkin stems and other peels, seeds, and stems? What nutrition goes into the trash can every time I toss a peel? Avocado pits are eaten by some, I know. What else am I throwing away that I could be eating?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Originally posted by knifegill View Post
    i understand orange peels are worth eating, and perhaps banana peels - if organic and washed, etc. What about pumpkin stems and other peels, seeds, and stems? What nutrition goes into the trash can every time i toss a peel? Avocado pits are eaten by some, i know. What else am i throwing away that i could be eating?
    why?

Comment

Joking aside, I've never heard that you actually should eat those things, but I used to make "morning glory" muffins that had an entire whizzed-up orange in them. So if you want to try eating some serious fruit peels, blending may be a more palatable way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        I understand orange peels are worth eating, and perhaps banana peels - if organic and washed, etc. What about pumpkin stems and other peels, seeds, and stems? What nutrition goes into the trash can every time I toss a peel? Avocado pits are eaten by some, I know. What else am I throwing away that I could be eating?
        I think you should be eating all that stuff indirectly. Get some chickens, they'll turn that stuff into food for you.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          I think you should be eating all that stuff indirectly. Get some chickens, they'll turn that stuff into food for you.
          lol....yeah, your not a gorilla with 78 foot of hind gut.

Comment

I thought that kind of stuff was not to be eaten. Anti-nutrients, or something like that. It's a protective layer. Probably mostly fiber.
            Depression Lies

Comment

i eat the shells & tails on shrimp? only the tasty parts on fruit, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                i eat the shells & tails on shrimp? only the tasty parts on fruit, though.
                Yeah, me too (shrimp part). I also use to eat nuts shell and all.....I stopped doing that though when I realized eating peanuts in this manner wasn't probably all that good for me about a decade ago.

Comment

My mom used to eat the olive pits. They were supposedly good for your gut or something. Personally, I never do. I'm scared of the sharp, pointy tips.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                    i eat the shells & tails on shrimp?
                    No offense to jakey, but I give those to my dog. He eats them like popcorn.

Comment

Papaya seeds are pretty awesome- they're slightly peppery, and have higher concentrations of papain [the enzyme that makes papaya so helpful for digesting proteins] than the flesh of the fruit itself.
                      Don't eat apple seeds or the inner seed from peach pits, as they have potentially uncomfortable levels of cyanide.
                      I eat all the pith off of grapefruit and pummelo skins, but not the whole raw skins themselves [though they make great additions to tisanes or mulled wine].
                      My room-mate eats kiwis whole [fuzzy skin and all], but i can't quite handle the texture.
                      Pumpkin/squash seeds- kind of a no-brainer. rinse 'em, salt 'em , roast 'em, and enjoy! I eat them unshelled, of course. The same goes for some roasted almonds-in-the-shell, as well as toasted sunflower seeds [not the usual, big grey sort, but the smaller black ones].

P.S. I also eat shrimp and prawns whole, head to tail. Keep in mind that the chitin in crustaceans' exoskeletons goes through undigested, as do many of the nut/seed hulls mentioned above.
                      While texturally enjoyable, and technically edible, many of these plant tissues are not really THAT nutritious simply because whatever nutrients they contain can't be accessed by our human digestive systems.

Comment

I like to suck the goo out of shrimp heads (and crawfish), but chewing on the shells doesn't appeal to me. And I want that black thing some people call a vein gone also - that's no vein, it's their equivalent of a digestive tract and I don't want to eat shrimp poo.

I think somewhere along the line, we peeled fruits because it tastes better. While the zest of most citrus is deliciously concentrated and great in dishes and drinks, the white pith is bitter, though I guess you could develop a taste for it.

And if skins on fruits are there for the protection of the fruit against predation, there's probably at least a chance that they're not great for us. I guess experimenting won't kill you - if you have a 20 lb BM afterward, you'll have your answer. And definitely report back because poop threads are some of the best. (Really.)
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Honestly? You're asking for digestive issues. The nasty stuff you people eat, jesus.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            Honestly? You're asking for digestive issues. The nasty stuff you people eat, jesus.
                            This guy is afraid to eat pizza because its so deadly but pumpkin stems, banana peels and other compost? Yummmy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              This guy is afraid to eat pizza because its so deadly but pumpkin stems, banana peels and other compost? Yummmy.
                              Bugs are fair game too. Silk worm pupae and termites have zero carbs.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                              X