Canned Tomatoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Tomatoes?

Hello All. I'm a newbie and only yesterday finished reading PB. While researching primal recipes, I happened upon one that mentioned tomato paste. First, let me say, I am a tomato fanatic. I will certainly be making plenty of recipes which include tomatoes. My question is---can I use canned tomatoes seeing as there will be preservatives, probably won't be organic, etc? What is the right thing to do and what are my options if I can't afford all of the organic things right now? -says "just-out-of-college" student-

canned tomatoes are great, and there are plenty without preservatives. san marzanos kick ass.

Comment

there are plenty of brands of canned tomato products, plenty will be labelled organic. the ingredients are usually 'tomatoes and salt' regardless the brand

that i've seen in my shopping forays, anyway
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Some people worry about the acid leaching stuff out of cans, there is a brand that does everything in glass... it's name escapes me right now and I'm too lazy to go to the kitchen and look. I personally don't worry about the container except for tomato paste then I go with the glass brand because if I buy tomato paste it might sit in the kitchen for a couple of months before I use it.
        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
          Some people worry about the acid leaching stuff out of cans, there is a brand that does everything in glass... it's name escapes me right now and I'm too lazy to go to the kitchen and look. I personally don't worry about the container except for tomato paste then I go with the glass brand because if I buy tomato paste it might sit in the kitchen for a couple of months before I use it.
          I buy one that comes in a box. It's kind of like a juice box without the little straw. I'm not sure if they make paste, but they do chopped tomatoes and sauce. You can get them by the case on Amazon: Pomi, Tomatoes Chopped, 12 - 26 Ounce Boxes (Case): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            I buy one that comes in a box. It's kind of like a juice box without the little straw. I'm not sure if they make paste, but they do chopped tomatoes and sauce. You can get them by the case on Amazon: Pomi, Tomatoes Chopped, 12 - 26 Ounce Boxes (Case): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
            I believe Pomi is the brand of paste I buy. I get it at whole foods.
            -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

most canned tomatoes also come with added citric acid which can be derived from corn or wheat so if you want to avoid those things, watch out for that.

Comment

If it does list citric acid, you would need to call the company and ask about the origins. It could just be lemon juice. You can can (jar, really) your own tomatoes in mason jars in just water and lemon juice and they'll last for years.
                Depression Lies

Comment

Canned tomatoes are really useful, just check the label to make sure there's nothing weird in it. I usually buy the no salt added kind because I prefer to adjust the salt in my recipes myself, and I get the organic ones.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

Comment

Pomi here also. If no Whole Foods, Amazon carries the chopped tomatoes not in cans. Amazingly WFoods price is cheaper - probably because even with no shipping charge at Azon, you're paying shipping somewhere in the product price, you know?

Pomi Chopped Tomatoes, 26.46 Ounce (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                      X